?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Or have they left it 100% up to you?
olivia.francesca
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It’s 100% up to me. Ik they don’t want me to go to uni but what I do instead they’ve had no preference
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Scotney
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Got to be your decision. It is your life!
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by olivia.francesca)
It’s 100% up to me. Ik they don’t want me to go to uni but what I do instead they’ve had no preference
Why no to uni? Interested. You okay with that?
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Scotney)
Why no to uni? Interested. You okay with that?
They think it’s a huge waste of money and I 100% agree with them. I don’t want to go to uni anyway. They never went to uni and are actually more successful and earn more money than their friends who did
Scotney
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
They think it’s a huge waste of money and I 100% agree with them. I don’t want to go to uni anyway. They never went to uni and are actually more successful and earn more money than their friends who did
Oh agree its horses for courses. Nephew did apprenticeship and got paid, trained and a degree while keeping up his semi - pro football career at home. Said uni not for him.
Son on other hand is now doing Phd in Conservation at Cambridge. Loves academia. Just as well as is as poor as a church mouse!
However life is not all about money is it?
ltsmith
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
ElNiñoo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
100% up to me, worked out better for me as they pushed my brother alot and that did not turn very good at all 😂 Although I would've appreciated some when I was younger
Sae.HH
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I will say this. An education does loosely correlates to an above median salary.

However it's far more valuable for the critical thinking skills you develop and the opportunities it opens up for skilled jobs in STEM. Becoming a researcher in Lithium Ion batteries for example for the future of vehicle sustainability , or a machine learning engineer working with artifical intelligence, or a veterinarian helping animals. These things are the direct result of years of studying and if there's something you're good at, educating yourself to a higher level keeps those doors open should you wish to pursue a career for self actualization, not just financial gain.

I hope that helps a bit.
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sae.HH)
I will say this. An education does loosely correlates to an above median salary. However it's far more valuable for the critical thinking skills you develop and the opportunities it opens up for skilled jobs in STEM. Becoming a researcher in Lithium Ion batteries for example for the future of vehicle sustainability , or a machine learning engineer working with artifical intelligence, or a veterinarian helping animals. These things are the direct result of years of studying and if there's something you're good at, educating yourself to a higher level keeps those doors open should you wish to pursue a career for self actualization, not just financial gain.

I hope that helps a bit.
You literally couldn’t pay me to go to uni but ok
Sae.HH
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You literally couldn’t pay me to go to uni but ok
Oh the joys of attempting to write informed pieces to teenagers 😂

No but really that's fine, as long as you've thought about it. If you're not great at maths for a lot of top stem roles it's a bit of a moot point anyway. As long as you've really thought about it.
Last edited by Sae.HH; 2 weeks ago
olivia.francesca
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Sae.HH)
Oh the joys of attempting to write informed pieces to teenagers 😂

No but really that's fine, as long as you've thought about it. If you're not great at maths for a lot of top stem roles it's a bit of a moot point anyway. As long as you've really thought about it.
Who said anything about stem???
Princepieman
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
nope.

they wouldn't know anything about the paths i want to go down because they took vastly different paths themselves (Ops Management + HR and the other petroleum engineering)

learnt everything i know about my careers of interest from online forums, people, blogs and a book called "million dollar careers".

reason being that unless you know folks at elite universities/private schools or have wealthy/UMC friends (or friends' parents) who live/work near global economic hubs for these jobs like NYC, LDN, LA, SG, SEA, SFBA, HK, BOS, TYO, PAR etc it's hard to learn any info about these paths because they're so clustered around specific educational backgrounds or locations.

without the internet i'd probably have just followed in my dad's footsteps and gone into oil or some other "old school" profession like medicine probably
Last edited by Princepieman; 2 weeks ago
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My dad would have loved to force me into medicine but (luckily for me) I have no aptitude for STEM-related subjects :banana: So I got to do my own thing in the end :awesome:

:bhangra:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.49%
Excited (157)
9.12%
Worried (306)
17.78%
Terrified (382)
22.2%
Meh (172)
9.99%
Confused (37)
2.15%