The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

curiouslyorange1989
first off depends how bad you smack them doesnt it? depends how you do it an such. If you just rag him onto the floor and step on his chest or whatever to further enforce your point they arnt going to grass. If you give him a black eye or put him in hospital or whatever of course hes going to grass.

this isnt about revenge its about prevention. Peace is best enforced with a knife (again figurativly)

Not at all. The second somebody makes physical contact with another person which is intended to cause harm, they are in breach of the law. Also, I think if you "enforce a point", its likely to anger the person and they'll go to the police anyway. I would certainly go to the police if someone "enforced a point" like that on me, its a scary situation and an unlawful one.
IanDangerously
Not at all. The second somebody makes physical contact with another person which is intended to cause harm, they are in breach of the law. Also, I think if you "enforce a point", its likely to anger the person and they'll go to the police anyway. I would certainly go to the police if someone "enforced a point" like that on me, its a scary situation and an unlawful one.

ahh but thats within reason, if you dont leave a mark there is very little evidence an offence took place, simply word against word. The police only get involved in serious cases because they have better things to do with their time...

granted if you really slap the kid a new one he would definately go to the bizzies, but you have to understand the working class mentality, we sort our own problems out as much as we can....
Reply 82
The bully is unlikely to go to the police because he would know that it would mean everyone finding out he was bullying (parents and police - who could take it seriously), therefore I think you'd be alright to hit him quite a few times before the police get involved.
Reply 83
no need to do anything. just tell ur brother that they will finally like him and realize what they are doing now is stupid.
pkiy
no need to do anything. just tell ur brother that they will finally like him and realize what they are doing now is stupid.

What a stupid and unhelpful piece of advice.
Reply 85
DannyBoy123
What a stupid and unhelpful piece of advice.

In many cases, good advice is not appreciated in the beginning...
pkiy
In many cases, good advice is not appreciated in the beginning...

Its certainly no worse than any of the uncivilised, troglodytic approaches of beating up a child that've been suggested. :smile:
Reply 87
Notice that the OP hasn't even returned back. Our advice must have worked superbly!
IanDangerously
Its certainly no worse than any of the uncivilised, troglodytic approaches of beating up a child that've been suggested. :smile:

Err yes it is; if a family member - particularly a younger brother who you have an inherent filial obligation to protect - is being physically assaulted, intimidated and having his life made a misery, standing by and doing nothing and hoping it will eventually go away is a far worse crime than slapping some arrogant, spiteful 14 year-old bastard.

Anyone who disagrees clearly doesn't have a younger brother and is therefore in no position to comment.
DannyBoy123
Err yes it is; if a family member - particularly a younger brother who you have an inherent filial obligation to protect - is being physically assaulted, intimidated and having his life made a misery, standing by and doing nothing and hoping it will eventually go away is a far worse crime than slapping some arrogant, spiteful 14 year-old bastard.

Anyone who disagrees clearly doesn't have a younger brother and is therefore in no position to comment.

I didnt say its a good idea to stand by and do nothing and hope it goes away, did I? The only way the situation will be resolved is by talking to the school and getting it sorted that way.
No, you suggested that using some sort of physical force was just as bad as doing nothing, something I was arguing against. I certainly wouldn't support a rabid attack on the individual in question, however, in my experience going to the school about it does precisely shag all. He should man up, approach the bully, have a stern word with him (if the bully attacks him he can claim self-defence anyway) and be a big brother.
Reply 91
IanDangerously
I didnt say its a good idea to stand by and do nothing and hope it goes away, did I? The only way the situation will be resolved is by talking to the school and getting it sorted that way.

I also didnt say stand by and do nothing. I meant, one should encourage his brother to learn to swallow and forgive for the moment, because eventually, the bully thing will die automatically.

Stern words, etc would not work at all, as the bullies might take worse revenges, and your brother would be the victim.

The best thing to do now is to swallow and forgive.
Reply 92
Screw that pkiy.

The best method is to give em a piece of your mind, either through mental showdown or self-defence.

Violence is just as bad as doing nothing, however it has an effect.
pkiy
I also didnt say stand by and do nothing. I meant, one should encourage his brother to learn to swallow and forgive for the moment, because eventually, the bully thing will die automatically.

Stern words, etc would not work at all, as the bullies might take worse revenges, and your brother would be the victim.

The best thing to do now is to swallow and forgive.

But he is still subject to the bullying and may be for a long time yet, it is not like it was a 'one off' that can be forgiven. Stern words might not do anything but if I found out it was carrying on (particularly the physical stuff) I would either take action myself or hold the little **** down while my brother laid into him.
Get a few of your mates, and stay at a place along his route, if he passes by with the brats causing him trouble, make it clear that you and your mates do not appreciate causing your sibling trouble. They will get the picture.
Reply 95
I seriously don't advise the whole... Go find him and beat him up option. If you want to fight, do it when he's picking the fight.

First scenario is more likely to create a tag, than the second one...
DannyBoy123

Wrong word. You mean fraternal. A filial obligation would be towards your parents.
Reply 97
dont you just hate these jackass types who go around in a group to bully - as if they are a collective. god knows if they were by themselves and not with their "herd" they wouldnt even think about touching your brother

threaten them when they come out of school.. tell them that if they touch your bro again you'll do something about it
Reply 98
Why do people resort to violence/threats first before resorting to asking in assertive manner?
Reply 99
Tombola
Why do people resort to violence/threats first before resorting to asking in assertive manner?

because in this case - bullies are bullies - they dont listen. you have to give them a taste of their own medicine to make them feel what its really like

Latest

Trending

Trending