New Car? Watch

Leviticusking
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
What's the best car for a poor ish 17 year old, who still wants something that looks decent?
ni98m
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would say a corsa or a yaris. Corsa are good cars for first time drivers and cheap, also insurance is fairly cheap on them compared to other cars. I myself had a corsa as a first car
riekeleah
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Browse autotrader with a cost filter to get an idea of what kind of car you’d like, then filter to just those cars and see what you can find.

Make sure you take into account the mileage and whether they have a full service record available. My boyfriend is currently looking at cars and he refuses to go above 70,000 miles, and if a car doesn’t have a full service record it’s likely that it’s been in some sort of crash or has a problem.

As above, Corsas are really nice starting cars, I’ll be getting an automatic Corsa when I pass the practical test.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It's interesting how different people have different policies when buying cars.

I was put off Vauxhall's for life when I found that all the ones that I drove started giving me back ache 20 minutes into any journey. The funny thing is, some people seem to get on OK with their car seats.

I also would not buy a car with less than 100,000 miles on the clock. Main reason being that cars with less than that mileage have not depreciated enough for me. Also the sort of cars I go for have big belt change service intervals of 96,000 miles. Better to let someone else pay for the big service. I expect my cars to go up to at least 270,000 miles before they are ready for the scrap yard.

The best value in cars tend to be ones where a relative, eg an elderly aunt, is passing her car onto you.
shnac99
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fords are generally quite popular
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Nuffles
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
It's interesting how different people have different policies when buying cars.

I was put off Vauxhall's for life when I found that all the ones that I drove started giving me back ache 20 minutes into any journey. The funny thing is, some people seem to get on OK with their car seats.

I also would not buy a car with less than 100,000 miles on the clock. Main reason being that cars with less than that mileage have not depreciated enough for me. Also the sort of cars I go for have big belt change service intervals of 96,000 miles. Better to let someone else pay for the big service. I expect my cars to go up to at least 270,000 miles before they are ready for the scrap yard.

The best value in cars tend to be ones where a relative, eg an elderly aunt, is passing her car onto you.
I had the same problem with my back in my parent's Astra H. Literally 20-30 minutes and I was done. It was also incredibly dull interior wise, had almost no interior storage (one cup holder between the seats too far back to easily grab is not acceptable in a 2007 car), turbo lag was awful (1.7 CDTI), and it had some pretty serious electrical issues before you'd expect that kind of thing. I don't know why people buy them tbh. Even the 18 plate Insignia we have at work is very underwhelming for the vehicle class, the Hyundai I40 is leagues ahead.

As a 17 year old you don't have much choice these days. Basically whatever you can get your hands on that won't bankrupt you with insurance.
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Dunnig Kruger)
I had the recaro seats, so nice in fairness.
LTEcactus
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Corsa's are very popular, therefore relatively expensive to buy and insure.
Something like a Fiat Punto or 500 etc would be cheaper to buy and insure, but obviously not as nice a car to drivem
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by LTEcactus)
Corsa's are very popular, therefore relatively expensive to buy and insure.
Something like a Fiat Punto or 500 etc would be cheaper to buy and insure, but obviously not as nice a car to drivem
How do you know it's cheaper for others to insure? You can't make a comment on other peoples quotes, a cheap quote on a car for you could be an expensive quote for another person on the same car.
Last edited by RoyalSheepy; 1 week ago
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hyundai getz, kia picanto, nissan micra. Maybe an early hyundai i10 (depending on your budget).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
17.09%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.57%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (43)
21.61%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (73)
36.68%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (9)
4.52%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.53%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise