The Student Room Group

What aspects of your parents relationship would you not want in your relationship?

so i was reading an article called Does your parents relationship affect your love life ? and i was wondering if there was any aspects of your parents relationship that you would not want in your own relationship?

they split up when i was 5 so i wouldnt want that if we had kids.

Scroll to see replies

My dad was verbally and physically abusive to my mother to the point of nearly killing her. When I was two they were due to get married but my mother took me and walked out on my father after a vision from God. Prior to this my father had nearly injured me unintentionally
Reply 2
Money troubles. Particularly being the breadwinner and supporting my partner while they continue to shame me for any of my spending.
The emotional and financial abuse
Reply 4
The absence of a relationship.
Original post by UWS
The absence of a relationship.

Had a tiger mum?? :console:
Everything.
This thread is really sad. But also quite useful and mature I think to make sure we learn from the mistakes of others and give our children better lives. :smile:
Original post by FemaleinDress
so i was reading an article called Does your parents relationship affect your love life ? and i was wondering if there was any aspects of your parents relationship that you would not want in your own relationship?

My parents didn't love me. They did not abuse me physically, but nothing I did was right. (I was simply shy and quiet and spent a lot of time reading in the corner) I then tried to be a good wife to my ex husband, but he unfortunately ended up being like my parents. With him gone, I finally got it right as a mother for my kids. They are both as happy as pigs in muck and have great lives.

My parents were always violent and verbally aggressive to each other due to their conflicts of interests and overall personalities. In fact there has been a point in my life where I've seen my father trying to strangle my mother on Christmas Day (the day of all days) because he couldn't get what he wanted financially (as he has an extreme gambling problem and wanted to 'borrow' more money from her). This gave me no choice but to call the police and now he has a caution.

Ever since that incident this has been the reason why I've struggled to connect with someone because I obviously don't want to become like that. :frown:

My parents split when I was 4 so I really have no memory of their relationship, but I can make judgements based on what I know about them. My dad is very negative and very much "my way is the correct way". He sulks if people don't do things the way he wants. I can imagine this contributed to his divorce. I don't want this.

As for my mum, she has habits of twisting what people say and making herself out to be the victim and then she gets annoyed. Just the other day, my brother and I were at her house for dinner and we commented about how small her kitchen is (she lives in a studio). She got annoyed because apparently that meant her cooking was bad. I can see how this could have led to unnecessary arguments in a relationship. Also, she doesn't have patience when asking someone to do a task. If she asked me to do a household chore at some point that day, if I didn't immediately jump up to do it, she would do it and then shout at me for being lazy. She could ask me at 7am to do something and if I haven't done it by 7:10 then she gets angry.

I'm glad that my relationship isn't like that. We communicate and we consider what we get upset over before starting a fight. We're good at listening to each other and understanding our feelings before we get upset with one another. Hopefully we will have a long and happy life together unlike my parents.
Nothing. I look up to their relationship. I would be grateful and fortunate to have a relationship like theirs in my life.
There was a point where my mum would cut my dad's toenails for him because she found the fact he let them grow repulsive. Blech. :puke:
Sexism and control

My dad would never help with the chores:mad:
nagging whingeing shouting moodiness
Original post by MonsoonFlower
My parents were always violent and verbally aggressive to each other due to their conflicts of interests and overall personalities. In fact there has been a point in my life where I've seen my father trying to strangle my mother on Christmas Day (the day of all days) because he couldn't get what he wanted financially (as he has an extreme gambling problem and wanted to 'borrow' more money from her). This gave me no choice but to call the police and now he has a caution.

Ever since that incident this has been the reason why I've struggled to connect with someone because I obviously don't want to become like that. :frown:

How awful for you. I can't imagine how bad it must be having to go through this. Not everybody, by any means, is like that. You are just unlucky to be caught in that situation. My parents weren't all that, but they help me because when I'm in a dilemma, I just do the opposite of what they would do. You don't have to become like them. You have a choice and I'm sure you'll ensure you will treat any future partner well, because you have seen the alternative.
His loss.
Original post by Anonymous
Sexism and control

My dad would never help with the chores:mad:

I can relate. Both my Dad and my ex husband were like that. What they don't know is that a man who helps with the chores tends to get more affection from his significant other as a result. Have seen this many times in newspaper articles! It's common sense though, really.
Original post by DrawTheLine
My parents split when I was 4 so I really have no memory of their relationship, but I can make judgements based on what I know about them. My dad is very negative and very much "my way is the correct way". He sulks if people don't do things the way he wants. I can imagine this contributed to his divorce. I don't want this.

As for my mum, she has habits of twisting what people say and making herself out to be the victim and then she gets annoyed. Just the other day, my brother and I were at her house for dinner and we commented about how small her kitchen is (she lives in a studio). She got annoyed because apparently that meant her cooking was bad. I can see how this could have led to unnecessary arguments in a relationship. Also, she doesn't have patience when asking someone to do a task. If she asked me to do a household chore at some point that day, if I didn't immediately jump up to do it, she would do it and then shout at me for being lazy. She could ask me at 7am to do something and if I haven't done it by 7:10 then she gets angry.

I'm glad that my relationship isn't like that. We communicate and we consider what we get upset over before starting a fight. We're good at listening to each other and understanding our feelings before we get upset with one another. Hopefully we will have a long and happy life together unlike my parents.

Sounds like you are all set for a happy marriage. You communicate well on TSR so you will be like that irl. Communication and compromise is key to happiness in a relationship.
domestic violence, power imbalance and a relationship based on compromises.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending