Warwick or edinburgh university for maths and stats Watch

Acre2019
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Gues i would like your help in deciding whether i should accept an offer to study mathematics and statistics at the university of warwick or at the University of Edinburgh...i have been struggling with this question over the last months and im still undecided. I know warwickhas a better reputation and is slightly better overall fot maths courses. However i am considering the fact that edinburgh is higher at the world uni rankings as it sitts 20th and warwick 62nd. I also dont know wheter it has greater reputation overall as a uni as it has significantly higher rankings in that area at the world uni rankings.the quality of life is just a plus but not a need for me as i set as a priority the academic factors and what it would offer me for my future employment and targets.i would strongly appreciate any opinions as i seem way too undecided and the clock is ticking.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You shouldn't focus on generic rankings, consider the reputation of the individual courses/departments. Warwick is considered to be one of the best mathematics departments in the country, for good reason. Did you apply for direct second year entry at Edinburgh? Bear in mind if not the course will be a year longer.

What do you want to do after your degree? This might also help inform your eventual choice, knowing what broadly you are hoping to do. Do you want to potentially continue to a PhD? Get a grad job? If so, what sector(s) are you interested in working in?

Look at each course and see what options you have on each, and which you prefer. Invariably there will be some options offered at one that aren't offered at the other. Which course structure do you prefer; does one course focus more on one of the subjects or the other, and how does the maths side breakdown in terms of pure vs applied maths (and consider the differences, and which is preferable).

Blue_Cow may be able to advise more about the University (and city) of Edinburgh generally.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Acre2019)
Gues i would like your help in deciding whether i should accept an offer to study mathematics and statistics at the university of warwick or at the University of Edinburgh...i have been struggling with this question over the last months and im still undecided. I know warwickhas a better reputation and is slightly better overall fot maths courses. However i am considering the fact that edinburgh is higher at the world uni rankings as it sitts 20th and warwick 62nd. I also dont know wheter it has greater reputation overall as a uni as it has significantly higher rankings in that area at the world uni rankings.the quality of life is just a plus but not a need for me as i set as a priority the academic factors and what it would offer me for my future employment and targets.i would strongly appreciate any opinions as i seem way too undecided and the clock is ticking.
I wouldn't worry about world rankings. Yes, Edinburgh does reasonably well in them, but it shouldn't be swaying your decision.

Location should be a factor as well. The School of Mathematics at Edinburgh is not on the main campus - you have to take a bus in from the central campus i.e. where most student accommodation is + where most students have their lectures.

(Original post by artful_lounger)
You shouldn't focus on generic rankings, consider the reputation of the individual courses/departments. Warwick is considered to be one of the best mathematics departments in the country, for good reason. Did you apply for direct second year entry at Edinburgh? Bear in mind if not the course will be a year longer.

What do you want to do after your degree? This might also help inform your eventual choice, knowing what broadly you are hoping to do. Do you want to potentially continue to a PhD? Get a grad job? If so, what sector(s) are you interested in working in?

Look at each course and see what options you have on each, and which you prefer. Invariably there will be some options offered at one that aren't offered at the other. Which course structure do you prefer; does one course focus more on one of the subjects or the other, and how does the maths side breakdown in terms of pure vs applied maths (and consider the differences, and which is preferable).

Blue_Cow may be able to advise more about the University (and city) of Edinburgh generally.
PRSOM
Acre2019
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Guys thank you for the replies. I plan on studying actuarial science as a master degree afterwards. Also i do not mind the fact that edinburgh course is a year longer. I mostly care about which of the two would be the best for me academically and which one would help me find a better job. Standard of living i secondary but not like the 4 years course issue that i do not give any gravity to.
dontevenknow2
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Warwick is where I went and did the same exact options as you did. I thrived there
Acre2019
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by dontevenknow2)
Warwick is where I went and did the same exact options as you did. I thrived there
And what exactly led you to make that decision?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (216)
12.39%
Excited (161)
9.23%
Worried (308)
17.66%
Terrified (385)
22.08%
Meh (180)
10.32%
Confused (37)
2.12%