Cost of car insurance.... Whats yours?! Watch

Juggy123
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
What would be the cost of say a Mini cooper for a first time driver estimation or you could post how much your insurance cost and your age... THANKS
dh00001
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
at a guess; alot.
i currently pay 2.2k after a year. i used to pay over 4
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my boy mate had a mini cooper he was 18 and a new driver and i think it was about £1200
Chew
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by groovychez89)
my boy mate had a mini cooper he was 18 and a new driver and i think it was about £1200
He must have been a named driver. Either that or the main driver but not fully comp.
Vesta
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My brother had a Mini One (which is cheaper to insure than a Cooper) and it was around £1,500 - new driver, 17 years old.

My insurance for my Fiat is £1,300 or so.
Cattleman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Expensiveish for even middle aged experienced drivers.

Silly money for newish drivers.

And to answer the other question - After 3 years of driving I pay 650 quid for Fully comp on a 1994 VW Golf GL (1.8l)
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by dh00001)
at a guess; alot.
i currently pay 2.2k after a year. i used to pay over 4
:eek:

What on earth are you driving?!

My other half is a new driver and is paying just over a grand for insurance on a 1995 1ltr Micra. Insurance is around £300 for myself and my dad on a 1.2ltr 53-plate Clio.
groovychez89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Chew)
He must have been a named driver. Either that or the main driver but not fully comp.
don't think it was fully comp think it was just 3rd party

OP - Is it a new mini cooper or an old one?!
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
:eek:

What on earth are you driving?!

My other half is a new driver and is paying just over a grand for insurance on a 1995 1ltr Micra. Insurance is around £300 for myself and my dad on a 1.2ltr 53-plate Clio.
Yet the cheapest I can get on anything is £1600 on a 1 ltr corsa (don't own a car yet, but have just stuck a load through the comparison sites). Even then its with my dad as a named driver (he hasn't driven at all since he passed his test). If its just me on there it goes up to £1800. And thats TPFT.
gillipies
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I've got a Rover 200 1.4L Engine and I pay around £900 (fully comp.) a year having been driving for just over 3 years - I'm a 20 year old female.
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I had a Fiat Punto insured on Fully Comp for £525/year. Driving three years, three years NCB.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
Yet the cheapest I can get on anything is £1600 on a 1 ltr corsa (don't own a car yet, but have just stuck a load through the comparison sites). Even then its with my dad as a named driver (he hasn't driven at all since he passed his test). If its just me on there it goes up to £1800. And thats TPFT.
I'm guessing you're 17 or thereabouts? My other half is a few years older than that, so that drops the price a little, and he also has me as a named driver which brought his insurance down by another couple of hundred pounds. The reason mine is cheap is that I've been driving for four or five years. My boyfriend got his insurance with Admiral; mine is with Tesco.

It'll come down eventually.
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm guessing you're 17 or thereabouts? My other half is a few years older than that, so that drops the price a little, and he also has me as a named driver which brought his insurance down by another couple of hundred pounds. The reason mine is cheap is that I've been driving for four or five years. My boyfriend got his insurance with Admiral; mine is with Tesco.

It'll come down eventually.
18 lol. Test in a little over 2 weeks (when I've put in my details on the comparison sites I've just said I've got a full licence, as I won't be getting a car before I pass). Its still annoying, but its something I've just accepted now. It annoys me though cos I've personally seen more reckless middle age drivers than I have reckless teenage drivers. There you go though - life aint fair. And I'll stop complaining now lol
TheEconomist2008->
Report 11 years ago
Vauxhall corsa 1 ltr
£800 on my own name, 3rd party.
18 years old.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
18 lol. Test in a little over 2 weeks (when I've put in my details on the comparison sites I've just said I've got a full licence, as I won't be getting a car before I pass). Its still annoying, but its something I've just accepted now. It annoys me though cos I've personally seen more reckless middle age drivers than I have reckless teenage drivers. There you go though - life aint fair. And I'll stop complaining now lol
Nah it's fair enough - it really irritates me that a lot of hire companies won't let me hire a car (e.g. for holidays) with over four years' driving experience simply because I'm 22 - whereas if I was over 25 I could hire a vehicle with no problems, even if I'd only passed my test the week before. It's ridiculous.

Oh well.. good luck with your test, anyway! Are you taking it in Cardiff?
WelshBluebird
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh well.. good luck with your test, anyway! Are you taking it in Cardiff?
na, pontypridd. Cardiff is too far away really (its 40 minute drive just to get to cardiff from where I live).
JC.
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
na, pontypridd. Cardiff is too far away really (its 40 minute drive just to get to cardiff from where I live).
The g/f is from there. Is it as bad as she says it is?

Anyway, to answer the question... around £400 for the Volvo and around £700 for the MGB V8 mods declared.
Benj89
Report 11 years ago
Vauxhall corsa 1 ltr
£600 on my own name, dad as second driver - not that he ever drives it! 3rd party.
Oddball
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
£1040, as named driver. 1L Nissan Micra. 17.
inam
Report 11 years ago
woah guys, u lot pay a lot for crappy cars like a micra without any dinity. My elder bro (18) got insured on the family 2003 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Ghia, 3rd driver after mum nd dad. Dad had 9 years ncb! he was only paying £1200!! trust me it was worth it, love it when he puts his foot down, and the corners oof lol, it is amazing man! so much pickup and power from a turbo diesel! looking to get myself insured on it when i done my test.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads