Cost of car insurance.... Whats yours?! Watch

RightSaidJames
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm £640 as a named driver (just renewed, it was £800+ the first year) on my dad's policy, I'd probably be a bit over £1000 on my own policy.
prodriven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Currently pay £550/ year FC for my pug 306 gti. My other car is insured under the family multi car policy so dont know the exact cost.... My sister had a Mini Cooper when she passed her test and was paying £1500 Fully Comp I beleive.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by inam)
woah guys, u lot pay a lot for crappy cars like a micra without any dinity. My elder bro (18) got insured on the family 2003 Ford Focus 1.8 TDCI Ghia, 3rd driver after mum nd dad. Dad had 9 years ncb! he was only paying £1200!! trust me it was worth it, love it when he puts his foot down, and the corners oof lol, it is amazing man! so much pickup and power from a turbo diesel! looking to get myself insured on it when i done my test.
But these people paying for insurance in their own name will have NCB of there own to use and so will reap the rewards of much cheaper premiums after a few years of driving exeperiance.
jam_man
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
About £1200 for a 1997 1.9 Turbo Diesel Xantia
xKarinx
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well i pay just under a grand for a 1.1 206, named driver, fully comp at 19. That's just gone up though because of my modifications but as standard it was around £970
WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by prodriven)
But these people paying for insurance in their own name will have NCB of there own to use and so will reap the rewards of much cheaper premiums after a few years of driving exeperiance.
not only that, fronting is illegal. And if your in an accident and the insurance company find out you were the main driver of the car but were only insured as a named driver, they will not pay up.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
not only that, fronting is illegal. And if your in an accident and the insurance company find out you were the main driver or the car but were only insured as a named driver, they will not pay up.
.... what? Seriously?
Cortez
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Juggy123)
What would be the cost of say a Mini cooper for a first time driver estimation or you could post how much your insurance cost and your age... THANKS
I had a Mini Cooper for my second year (so I had 1 years NCB) and it was £1200 fully comp.

Third year on same car is £800.
Cortez
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by RightSaidJames)
.... what? Seriously?
Yes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...ox/7052569.stm
TJH89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine's £800 for a 1991 VW Golf (1.8) - I'm 18, but I'm on a dual policy with my mum (it was originally her car). I don't pay a penny of it either, I only do petrol and road tax
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thanks for that, I wouldn't have known if it wasn't for WelshBluebird's post. It doesn't affect me at the moment because it actually is my parents' car and they do drive it marginally more than me, but if I go to Uni we'll obviously have to cancel the current policy and insure just me.
xhelen1989x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I got my car last year when it was just over a year old a corsa and paid £1200 for fully comp but just paid for this year and its £950 and i've just turned 19 amd im the only driver.
GodspeedGehenna
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I pay £1600 for my insurance on a 1.8 Nissan Almera SE+ for TPFT
Ross Murray
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
around £1600 on a 2003 Vauxhall Corsa, im the only driver, first year driving, age 19, fully comp with guaranteed hire car and breakdown cover included.
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by WelshBluebird)
na, pontypridd. Cardiff is too far away really (its 40 minute drive just to get to cardiff from where I live).
Aw, good old Ponty. :^_^: Good luck with your test!
buttercup_26
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm getting a Ford Ka in a few weeks for my 18th birthday, and to get it insured with me as the main driver is £730 for third party, fire and theft.
ch0c0h01ic
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by prodriven)
There is a BIG difference between paying £600 and £1.5+K a year on insurance, sure, NCB is going to save you a bit of money over time. But once you hit 21 your premiums are going to go down anyway, especially if you have no points and haven't made any claims, then taking out your own policy, the savings are going to be negliable compared to being the main driver all along.
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
£340 for my boyfriend and me to drive our Vauxhall Corsa SXI with max NCD.
pumpkin7
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
about £700 for me on a 1.4 peugeot 206, fully comp, 19, driving 2 years, with 1 years NCB. woop. oh, but my dad is a named driver too, so that helps... and he drives it occasionally lol.
beckiestar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Mine is £400 fully comp, for me and my dad as named drivers on my mums corsa. but I hardly ever drive it as I don't live with them, so i really am just a named driver.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (115)
66.09%
No I haven't decided yet (35)
20.11%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.79%

Watched Threads