Not paying parking fine Watch

Reue
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Fullofsurprises)
OK. Did she get actual CCJ papers? Another trick they use is sending out false sets of pseudo-legal looking papers.
Yes, it was the real deal.
Fullofsurprises
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Reue)
Yes, it was the real deal.
OK, not the experience I've observed, but that's a valid warning note then.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Now I really am confused - am I a genius or someone who doesn't know what they are talking about and should stay in careers help?

A simple trawl through the internet and any experience of the real world will indicate that, while there is some risk (and you can change your mind at any time), many people successfully ignore these supposed 'fines'. The business model of these companies is that they have no legal basis on which to fine you, but they very carefully design and word their notices to suggest that they do. By doing this, they recoup payments at a level sufficient to sustain business. However, the only way they can compel payment is to take the matter to the small claims court. Other aggravating factors aside in a case, like repeated ignoring of tickets, it is simply not worth a company pursuing random cases like the OPs. Indeed, unless they are a registered company with access to DVLA files, and the OP hasn't given us those details, they can't pursue, because they can't find the address of the owner of the car.

Just search around on the net, it's very clear that these companies are highly unlikely to follow up to the extent of a court case. But in any case, as I said, the OP should take this up first with the garage.
They are registered and have access to the DVLA database... how else do you suppose the OP got the letter?!
username4408806
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
@threeportdrift

Section 56 of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012, refers to Schedule 4 of the Act and the recovery of parking charges.

This legislation came in to abolish vehicle clamping, however the downside is that absolutely did put collecting unpaid parking charges from the vehicle keeper (in the event of the driver being undisclosed) into law.
Last edited by username4408806; 1 week ago
Nadim Chowdhury
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ok. So based on what everyone has said. Im going to the garage and will ask them if they will pay. I would rather pay it directly there and then, although this is very unlikely. Worth a go as I live just around the corner. If they don't, I'll notify them saying I wasn't driving. I have an invoice as well for when they took my car for an estimate with date and time. I will not ignore it but worst case I'll pay within 2 weeks so it's £60. Quite an expensive trip to the garage. Apparently this garage does this a lot and quite a few people end up with tickets
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise