What type is this lawyer ??

Watch this thread
username4097242
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So there are various types of lawyers like criminal, civil etc. So last time my sixth form held a talk with one and he did told us what type of lawyer he was but I forgot. He said that he goes to jail/prison and gives advice to people and that sometimes he has to go in the middle of the night (24/7 service).Does anyone knows what type of lawyer is this ???
999tigger
Badges: 19
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by vickkyyx)
So there are various types of lawyers like criminal, civil etc. So last time my sixth form held a talk with one and he did told us what type of lawyer he was but I forgot. He said that he goes to jail/prison and gives advice to people and that sometimes he has to go in the middle of the night (24/7 service).Does anyone knows what type of lawyer is this ???
Criminal solicitor.

Duty solicitor i.e on call to take any client that needs a lawyer but doesnt have one. Something most solicitors would hate and likely to be poorly paid.
Looks like the system is under extreme pressure because of cuts.
username4097242
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Criminal solicitor.

Duty solicitor i.e on call to take any client that needs a lawyer but doesnt have one. Something most solicitors would hate and likely to be poorly paid.
Looks like the system is under extreme pressure because of cuts.
Thank youuu
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
Thank youuu
It would be considered low level work and not a job most solicitors would want considering low pay, clients and poor hours. I believe they sometimes send a trainee. They have difficulty recruiting because of the low pay and fall in legal aid.
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
I will add that I am aware of at least one chambers that have arrangements for their junior barristers to do this work on occasion. But yes, it is very low level work that is usually done by a solicitor. The barristers in the chambers in question were less than happy that the arrangement was made at all.
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Crazy Jamie)
I will add that I am aware of at least one chambers that have arrangements for their junior barristers to do this work on occasion. But yes, it is very low level work that is usually done by a solicitor. The barristers in the chambers in question were less than happy that the arrangement was made at all.
Or even a legal exec?
Crazy Jamie
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Or even a legal exec?
I don't actually know because I'm not sure if the legal aid certification would require a certain level of lawyer/qualification to cover that role, but it's perfectly possible.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 2 years ago
He may be one of two things.

He may be a criminal solicitor, or he may be an Accredited Police Station Representative.

The first is a criminal solicitor who will go to court to represent criminal clients. They will also go the police station to represent their clients in interviews with the police and that could be any time day or night. Most criminal solicitors are on a Duty Solicitor scheme so they attend call outs to the police station on a rota for people who are arrested and have no solicitor of their own. For criminal lawyers, acting as a Duty Solicitor is one of the main ways of getting new clients.

Accredited Police Station Representatives are people who aren't criminal solicitors. They are people who have passed an examination to advise clients at the police station only. They are allowed to represent clients in lieu of the Duty Solicitor or in lieu of a client's own solicitor. They come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Some are trainee solicitors; others are retired policemen; some are legal clerks who have just fallen into the work; a few are lawyers who practise in other areas of law.

Most firms that are serious about doing criminal work will use a combination of criminal solicitors and Accredited Police Station Representatives to provide a 24/7 service in the area in which they operate.
999tigger
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
He may be one of two things.

He may be a criminal solicitor, or he may be an Accredited Police Station Representative.

The first is a criminal solicitor who will go to court to represent criminal clients. They will also go the police station to represent their clients in interviews with the police and that could be any time day or night. Most criminal solicitors are on a Duty Solicitor scheme so they attend call outs to the police station on a rota for people who are arrested and have no solicitor of their own. For criminal lawyers, acting as a Duty Solicitor is one of the main ways of getting new clients.

Accredited Police Station Representatives are people who aren't criminal solicitors. They are people who have passed an examination to advise clients at the police station only. They are allowed to represent clients in lieu of the Duty Solicitor or in lieu of a client's own solicitor. They come from a wide variety of backgrounds. Some are trainee solicitors; others are retired policemen; some are legal clerks who have just fallen into the work; a few are lawyers who practise in other areas of law.

Most firms that are serious about doing criminal work will use a combination of criminal solicitors and Accredited Police Station Representatives to provide a 24/7 service in the area in which they operate.
Very good. If I was betting I would plump for sol though as it was a careers talk. The OP would be able to tell if they put their mind to what was said at the talk.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How was the OCR A-level Geography Paper 1 exam for you?

Great! (9)
14.06%
Quite well (30)
46.88%
Not so good (16)
25%
Terrible! (9)
14.06%

Watched Threads