Learning a language alongside a physics course Watch

Mabey
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I've been wanting to learn a language during uni, and I was wondering if it is possible to study a language outside of uni credits during a physics degree. Does anyone know if I would even have enough free time to do an hour a day of self study, or even the energy?

I'm hopefully gonna be doing theoretical physics at Durham, and you can do foreign language modules there, but I'm worried that it would have a negative effect on my career.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mabey)
I've been wanting to learn a language during uni, and I was wondering if it is possible to study a language outside of uni credits during a physics degree. Does anyone know if I would even have enough free time to do an hour a day of self study, or even the energy?

I'm hopefully gonna be doing theoretical physics at Durham, and you can do foreign language modules there, but I'm worried that it would have a negative effect on my career.
Why do you think it would have a negative effect on your career?
posthumus
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mabey)

It's possible. In fact I highly doubt you can spend all day everyday doing theoretical physics, if anything that will be very counterintuitive.

I am taking both Spanish & Portuguese classes alongside my MSc in Computer Science.

I also do a lot of Tennis and I'm also part of a dance society. I find plenty of time to go to events too.

Does it affect my studies? No, in fact I feel like it is complimenting my performance in the classes.

Do you have to manage your time well? Well yes, and that is a key life skill.

Mind you, I am what you'd call a "mature student", and did not do any extra-curriculm activities at an undergraduate level - one of my greatest regrets. Even though I graduated with a First class honours degree, I still feel my academic performance is much better now and more rewarding.

When you mature you will appreciate these opportunities more and realise they are just as important as your 'main course'. In fact I believe it can not only enhance your life, but even the outcome of your career etc.

Bottom line: Be realistic and take the language classes
Mabey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Why do you think it would have a negative effect on your career?
My current ambition is to do a PhD(obviously liable to change later on), and I thought wasting credits later on, doing unrelated study could affect my ability to do one
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mabey)
My current ambition is to do a PhD(obviously liable to change later on), and I thought wasting credits later on, doing unrelated study could affect my ability to do one
That's not the case whatsoever. PhD is all about research and many people often change disciplines. Physicists end up doing PhD in Maths and the reverse is also true. My friend did Physics for undergrad at Oxford and is now doing a PhD related to Data Science.

In Scotland, for example, all students (apart from Law, Medicine, Engineering and Architecture) have to take 3 subjects in their first two years. My friend's degree was Physics but in her 1st and 2nd years she did Physics, Maths and Japanese. In her 3rd and 4th years, she focused solely on Physics.
Mabey
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
That's not the case whatsoever. PhD is all about research and many people often change disciplines. Physicists end up doing PhD in Maths and the reverse is also true. My friend did Physics for undergrad at Oxford and is now doing a PhD related to Data Science.

In Scotland, for example, all students (apart from Law, Medicine, Engineering and Architecture) have to take 3 subjects in their first two years. My friend's degree was Physics but in her 1st and 2nd years she did Physics, Maths and Japanese. In her 3rd and 4th years, she focused solely on Physics.
Hmm okay, that makes sense. Thanks for the help then, I'll do the language module now
alevelphysicist
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Mabey)

it's definitely tough to fit everything in and remain consistent with the language learning, but definitely possible! If anything it will boost your career prospects if you can become good enough since international collaboration is extremely important in Physics and you could possibly even do your PhD in another country
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
If you're not doing it apart of University, you could look at things like Duolingo or taking it up at a college as a side thing.

I'm sure there's options.
I know most universities allow you to switch a module for a language though.

Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads