Experience with the CTA exams? (Chartered tax advisor) Watch

Lord Samosa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I’ve just done my last ACA exam and got a promotion into my company’s tax department. They’re happy to fund my CTA if I want to pursue it, which I want to.

Has anybody got experience with the exams and what to expect? I know it’s quite hard but I’ve managed the ACA without much difficulty. Are the computer based exams at the start difficult? Because I may try to get them out the way ASAP so I can focus on the bigger exams
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Lord Samosa)
I’ve just done my last ACA exam and got a promotion into my company’s tax department. They’re happy to fund my CTA if I want to pursue it, which I want to.

Has anybody got experience with the exams and what to expect? I know it’s quite hard but I’ve managed the ACA without much difficulty. Are the computer based exams at the start difficult? Because I may try to get them out the way ASAP so I can focus on the bigger exams
Hi, sorry you've not had any responses to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon

Princepieman will potentially know more about this!
P-Ro
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Lord Samosa)

I've just sat and passed my first CTA advisory paper and I'll be sitting the final advisory and application papers in November. Nearly all people taking the CTA will have an ATT, ACCA or ACA qualification and I've been told by someone in the Institute that those who have done the ATT are most likely to pass. Essentially most exams have a 35-55 pass rate and the people taking the exams have already gone through quite challenging qualifications to just be sitting there which should be all you need to know really in terms of how difficult they are.

The most important thing to do is practice exam technique from the get go and to make sure you are adept in getting the 'easy marks' in every question. You'll understand what I mean by easy marks when you look at the mark schemes for each question and you see that 20 or so marks are just regurgitation of the material in the 'memory joggers' from Tolleys. What makes these exams difficult is that you are under extreme time pressure and you are expected to not just be technically excellent, but to be able to give relevant advice that a client would actually pay for.

The CBEs are odd in that they are very easy to pass and easy to fail. You should be able to pass the Law and the Ethics ones after just reading the text book once. Make sure you look over the practice questions in the book thoroughly and then attempt the practice questions online. I know a few people who revised hard but failed by one mark multiple times and I know others who hardly revised and scraped a first time pass. I was luckily the latter and I'd say I put in 10 hours per exam. Get them out of the way ASAP.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (187)
23.94%
Pop (191)
24.46%
Jazz (30)
3.84%
Classical (46)
5.89%
Hip-Hop (147)
18.82%