giggler
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Im thinking of applying to bio medical science at either Kington, KCL, Middlesex or Barts and Queen Mary. I am particularly interested in Kington as theyve sent students for placements at GlaxoSmithKline. A few question though;
Can you get summer placement?
Is the year placement paid well under or over 20k?
Is there a possibility for networking medicine GEP?
How important is the institute of biomedical sciences accreditation?
Has anyone experienced the placement year? if so how was it?
Caliowin
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well I want to take a placement year for Chemistry in my 3rd year, as I did work experience as AstraZeneca and enjoyed it.

From what I've learnt, the average salary ranges from 13k-18k but it really depends where you go.
x_emme_x
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by giggler)

I start a biomed course at Hull in September and I have a placement in the 3rd year, and the salary is between £16-18k according to what letters have said (although I don't have tuition fees and I get an NHS Bursary for the length of the course)

If you want to continue within Biomedical Sciences i.e. go into the NHS or into the private sector, it is essential to have an accredited course as the whole course is pretty much pointless and i'd might as well not done the course and entered as a trainee biomed.

Hope this helps
Renal
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This is a very odd thread (three odd, scattergunned, threads infact).

According to your post here, you already have a first.

Care to explain?
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You sure do chat a lot of **** don't ya giggler?
WhatTheFunk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by giggler)
Im thinking of applying to bio medical science at either Kington, KCL, Middlesex or Barts and Queen Mary. I am particularly interested in Kington as theyve sent students for placements at GlaxoSmithKline. A few question though;
Can you get summer placement?
Is there a possibility for networking medicine GEP?
Has anyone experienced the placement year? if so how was it?
placements at essex are a year out, pay about 20k

accreditation is important if you want to work as a biomed as it shows you have taken the right exams, and learnt the right stuff,
queen marys i think is not accrediated as well when i was told when i went there, they built the course more for people to go in to do medicince, kingson is accrediated
Bathwiggle
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by robinson999)
placements at essex are a year out, pay about 20k
No it doesnt, its 15k paid in 4 instalments, the going rate for a trainee biomed is 17k and a bit, but we dont get that - they biomed lecturers lie to you all through first and second year about the pay.. or thats what we had
WhatTheFunk
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
No it doesnt, its 15k paid in 4 instalments, the going rate for a trainee biomed is 17k and a bit, but we dont get that - they biomed lecturers lie to you all through first and second year about the pay.. or thats what we had
:eek: they lied, thats what they said to us
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
im on it next year, got the letter through and its 15k in 4 installments, starting the last week of october.. so i wasnt gonna get the loan, but i might need it to live for the first 4 weeks. Still i dont think we get taxed as its a Living Allowance not pay..
VENIVIDIVICI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Bathwiggle)
im on it next year, got the letter through and its 15k in 4 installments, starting the last week of october.. so i wasnt gonna get the loan, but i might need it to live for the first 4 weeks. Still i dont think we get taxed as its a Living Allowance not pay..
Great news. Where are you going to do your placement?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Colchester hospital (4 miles from where i live) , i got to choose the place as i have a disability so had to buy (well my parents) a flat in colchester to allow me to continue with the degree
VENIVIDIVICI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
OK, thats good.

Are you looking forward to the placement? Have you been to the hospital before (such as an open day or a hospital tour around the pathology dept. etc.)?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Been to the hospital for an induction in may, start there october, plus got to arrange to go back for a meeting at somepoint. I'm looking forwards to it as it'll actualy let me know if its what i want to do, plus the poeple are lovely, and also met the girl whos in the department at the moment for her placement (well histology).
VENIVIDIVICI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats is great. At least you not going in cold and you right its vital in working there as it will let you know if its what you want to do.

If you get along with the ppl, it makes it even better. The worse thing is working in a place with ppl u can't get on with.

All in all...it all sounds like you'll enjoy de placement, learn loads, make contacts and impress them whilst you there. Seems like a win-win situation for everyone.
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Hopefully, as then i might stand a chance of getting a job there when i finish, or get a good reference, as thats always helpful. Plus bf seems to think i should move back to surrey after uni so need a advantage if possible on everyone else applying for a hospital in surrey if that does happen
VENIVIDIVICI
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My sentiments exactly...
zhangyuzhi
Report 11 years ago
Glaxo biologists (placement) are paid around 16k p.a.. Me working now here as a clinical immunologist and I am getting like 12xx pounds a month before tax. ALso, they pay better for chemists!! (only for graduates, IPs are paid on the same scale)

I am not sure abt summer placements coz I saw none so far. But I heard from colleagues that they do take students in the past.

I am working there for a placement, and I have to say it is briliant! you do some serious science and the projects are related to novel findings or carrying scientific values. It is nice to see your stuffs becoming more and more important...

P.S. I am doing biochem.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (121)
65.05%
No I haven't decided yet (39)
20.97%
Yes but I might change my mind (26)
13.98%

Watched Threads