Laptop for a Maths Degree (Touchscreen or No Touchscreen?)

Watch this thread
ReesMontoya
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I will need to be buying a new laptop for uni (depending on next Thursday...) and I am currently considering my options. I know that I'll need an i5 and 8GB of RAM, but the big question for me is whether a touchscreen is worth the extra cost. I am trying to learn a bit of LaTeX before going to uni so that I understand the basics, but is it worth having the touchscreen to make notes on, or should I just use pen and paper as normal?
AdamCor
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
I would go with touchscreen, it will help a lot for complex formulae. Even if you learn LaTeX it's a lot of work to use it to write long equations when you can write them down much faster with a touchscreen.
ReesMontoya
Rep:
(Original post by AdamCor)
I would go with touchscreen, it will help a lot for complex formulae. Even if you learn LaTeX it's a lot of work to use it to write long equations when you can write them down much faster with a touchscreen.
But in many cases it is £200+ more expensive... Is it that much better than just writing it on pen and paper then converting to LaTeX later?
username612415
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ReesMontoya)
But in many cases it is £200+ more expensive... Is it that much better than just writing it on pen and paper then converting to LaTeX later?
What's your budget and what models are you looking at?
AdamCor
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I suppose you could also do that, but you'd have to consider how much time that would take and whether or not you'd actually do that. I personally prefer to just take my notes on paper, then type up condensed revision notes, there's no way I'd be able to have complete notes stored digitally.
username1208193
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Touchscreen seems more practical?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I will need to be buying a new laptop for uni (depending on next Thursday...) and I am currently considering my options. I know that I'll need an i5 and 8GB of RAM, but the big question for me is whether a touchscreen is worth the extra cost. I am trying to learn a bit of LaTeX before going to uni so that I understand the basics, but is it worth having the touchscreen to make notes on, or should I just use pen and paper as normal?
here's a recommendation which will make your life worth living: the Acer Swift 5, i7, 15 inch for £819 at PCWorld
ReesMontoya
Rep:
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
here's a recommendation which will make your life worth living: the Acer Swift 5, i7, 15 inch for £819 at PCWorld
Looks like a solid laptop, but a few things I'm not sure on... Is the i7 much better than the i5? Also it's touchscreen but not a 2 in 1 which could make it more awkward to write on... I feel from looking that some of the HP pavillions could be better with 2 in 1 and an i5 for about 150 less?
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
Looks like a solid laptop, but a few things I'm not sure on... Is the i7 much better than the i5? Also it's touchscreen but not a 2 in 1 which could make it more awkward to write on... I feel from looking that some of the HP pavillions could be better with 2 in 1 and an i5 for about 150 less?
yeh if you want a 2 in 1 then you will have to pay more, and the Lenovo Yoga really is brill if you cant afford a Surface. but students have successfully studied maths for centuries without touchscreen laptops...
Dunnig Kruger
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
There's this HP Pavillion for £320 to £340, depending on what offer the seller would be willing to accept.
g[/s]RLIAAOSw5HFdSvTW#viTabs_0]https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-Pavilion-x360-14-CD0008NA-i5-8250U-8GB-256GB-SSD/193005630455?hash=item2cf00833f7:g:RLIAAOSw5HFdSvTW#viTabs_0
ReesMontoya
Rep:
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
yeh if you want a 2 in 1 then you will have to pay more, and the Lenovo Yoga really is brill if you cant afford a Surface. but students have successfully studied maths for centuries without touchscreen laptops...
I realise that students have done it without for centuries... But as it is something which could be useful to have I am considering it
username1208193
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
I bought an HP Laptop, can't remember the model name, from Curry's PC World when it was on sale. Think it was an i5 model and it was £599.99 reduced to £399.99. I think it was a 14" HP Pavilion.

Edit: Don't know why I posted this as I remembered OP wants a touchscreen oops.
Last edited by username1208193; 3 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (147)
40.27%
They're exactly what I expected (91)