The Student Room Group

Crash higher physics ??

Im going into 6th year and before summer I started nat 5 physics. After getting my exam results I ended up with BBBBC in 5 highers and I need at least 2 A at higher next year to get into uni. I was thinking of crashing higher physics but I definitely need an A. Is this doable if I work hard and maybe get a tutor?? I have never done physics before apart from the month of nat 5. I'm also doing higher maths, advanced higher biology and chemistry.
Crash Higher Physics is very hard. I am sixth year as well and was considering crashing it, however I spoke to the principal teacher of physics and he said if I am expecting an A in that subject I need to work very hard and have a strong interest in physics (which I don't). there is apparently a lot of stuff that comes from nat 5 therefore you have to have a bit of knowledge from nat 5. if you are very sciency and you are good at maths you can take it, but otherwise I would take something that doesn't require previous knowledge. I took Environmental Science instead of Physics but very few schools do that subject.
Original post by olarybaa
Im going into 6th year and before summer I started nat 5 physics. After getting my exam results I ended up with BBBBC in 5 highers and I need at least 2 A at higher next year to get into uni. I was thinking of crashing higher physics but I definitely need an A. Is this doable if I work hard and maybe get a tutor?? I have never done physics before apart from the month of nat 5. I'm also doing higher maths, advanced higher biology and chemistry.

I think it's definitely possible to get an A in crash higher physics since you're doing science-y subjects (which I assume you're good at). There is a lot of maths involved, but imo there isn't really much to purely memorise other than what the letters in formulas stand for. I found higher physics a lot harder than biology, but a lot of people feel differently.

Either way, if you decide to take it, good luck!
I’m basically crashing higher physics this year as well.
I did it in S4 at Nat 5 level but I got a C as I didn’t put any effort in and I can’t remember anything from then. Physics is quite a hard subject though and as you did not get any As this year you will really have to push yourself to get an A in a subject like physics. If you enjoy science which it seems like it, take it, but it won’t be easy at all.

Oh and also 3 students in my school who are “strong” at physics and expected an A, got a B in higher physics this year.
Original post by olarybaa

I got BBBBC in my 5 Highers and have just started crashing Higher!
I crashed H Physics in sixth year. I had a really good teacher and managed to get an A, even though I didn't do nat 5. There isn't a lot of nat 5 physics in it, and if there is- it's nothing too complex. Since you're doing AH Chemistry, there's a wee bit of overlap with some of the concepts believe it or not such as atomic emission (Bohr theory/Planck), etc. I didn't enjoy Physics too much but I still found it rather easy to deal with.

I'd say there's no harm in trying it. From experience, there's no point keeping going with the N5 when you'll be accustomed to a higher level of demand. To answer your question, if you're willing to try and understand the course and work hard, an A is not impossible at all. Plus, it's really easy to do well in the assignment if you listen to your teacher and follow all the guidance documents.

Quick Reply

Latest