The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Huckipity
Please don't take this the wrong way as I'm only offering advice, but judging from the photos you seem quite unfit. I wouldn't recommend doing anything drastic such as surgery yet as there is a possibility that it is just fat, which you can easily lose with some determination. Definitely see a doctor an ask about it, but I'd say your priority is to maintain a calorie deficit until you lose all the excess fat. Just make sure you're burning more calories than you're consuming, and you'll lose it quickly. I recommend running as it's one of the best ways to burn calories, and it will generally make you more fit. 2-3 chest work outs a week as well would also help to shape your chest.

I’ve already lost a lot of weight this year, but I appreciate I’m not the fittest. I just feel that surgery would rid me of them once and for all and rid me of so much stress
Original post by markova21
I would certainly run it all past your GP first, before you do anything drastic; especially if you're going to be handing over potentially thousands of pounds.

The clinic I’ve chosen is certified, but of course I’ll visit my GP first
Weight train
I’m actually in the exact same position. 20 years old, uni in September and 99.9% certain I have gynecomastia. My only concern is that I will have scars, and considering I’m in pretty poor shape, how much lipo/any fat loss I’d need to do in order to get in proper shape.
Original post by Anonymous
I’m actually in the exact same position. 20 years old, uni in September and 99.9% certain I have gynecomastia. My only concern is that I will have scars, and considering I’m in pretty poor shape, how much lipo/any fat loss I’d need to do in order to get in proper shape.

It’s reassuring to hear that there are others in similar positions. Have you been to a consultation at a surgery? I’m certain I have gynecomastia too, but If it is mostly fat then they’ll be able to remove it with liposuction which is not very intrusive and has a quick recovery time
Original post by PhilanderingBum
And yeah, it goes without saying but you have true gyno, no amount of fatloss will rectify it as you will literally have a pair of breasts as opposed to fat deposits. It may reduce the size of surrounding fat deposits but you'll still have 'lumps'

How fast do you think I’ll see results going through with your exercise plan? Thanks a lot🙂
Reply 26
It's got nothing to do with your weight or diet, or exercise. You clearly have gynecomastia which is when real breast tissue, not fat grows in the chest. It happens in pretty much all infants (very minor) and again affects many people when they're a teen which is why most young teens that are even a little chubby will probably have moobs but they usually self resolve.

I'm your GP has already told you this, there are some drugs that people say work but surgery is ideal especially once its firmed up. Surgery is your only choice, sadly it's not available on the NHS, the stats are terrible, you basically have a 5% chance of getting funded by the NHS for it. If you do want surgery, do your research on a good GP, tell him your getting real bad pains, it bleeds and goes tender, you can't get a job because people laugh at you or because you struggle with too much pain, its mentally affecting you, etc. And you should get surgery in 6-12 months.

The NHS will only give surgery if theres a medical case, not a cosmetic case. Going private will set you back a few ££££'s
Reply 27
Surgery actually removes the breast glands, everyone has breast glands, male or female just different amounts and different sizes. After gynecomastia removal, if done correctly, I don't think its possible to come back since the tissue/glands are gone and dont usually grow back. also many will perform liposuction at the same time for a little extra, that will remove fat cells which means fat can't be deposited in that area again.
Original post by 3121
It's got nothing to do with your weight or diet, or exercise. You clearly have gynecomastia which is when real breast tissue, not fat grows in the chest. It happens in pretty much all infants (very minor) and again affects many people when they're a teen which is why most young teens that are even a little chubby will probably have moobs but they usually self resolve.

I'm your GP has already told you this, there are some drugs that people say work but surgery is ideal especially once its firmed up. Surgery is your only choice, sadly it's not available on the NHS, the stats are terrible, you basically have a 5% chance of getting funded by the NHS for it. If you do want surgery, do your research on a good GP, tell him your getting real bad pains, it bleeds and goes tender, you can't get a job because people laugh at you or because you struggle with too much pain, its mentally affecting you, etc. And you should get surgery in 6-12 months.

The NHS will only give surgery if theres a medical case, not a cosmetic case. Going private will set you back a few ££££'s

There’s no way that exercising will resolve it? Even if I get down to a really low fat percentage?
There’s no way that exercising will resolve it? Even if I get down to a really low fat percentage?

You would literally need to starve yourself to the point that your body starts using any part of fat or muscle to energise itself from. And that’s seriously unhealthy
You would literally need to starve yourself to the point that your body starts using any part of fat or muscle to energise itself from. And that’s seriously unhealthy

Well the next appointment this clinic has is in late October so maybe I’ll try somewhere else in considering taking another gap year to resolve this as I’ve left it too late to do before ubi
Well the next appointment this clinic has is in late October so maybe I’ll try somewhere else in considering taking another gap year to resolve this as I’ve left it too late to do before ubi

Before uni*

Maybe I’ll try that
Original post by yousman3357
You have gynecomastia.

Th way is a combination of push-ups so you spread the fat apart and cardio (running).
You need calorie control as well.

Surgery is also vital, they will cut out a section inside the pectoral which is responsible for the moob.

Tbh I’ve never seen anyone with a six pack who has moobs
Reply 34

Nope. It’s breast tissue, your breast glands have grown due to an uneven hormonal imbalance between Estrogen and Testosterone.

You have actual breats, breast tissue and glands, not a fat chest, otherwise they’d be less round, more saggy, and the middle bit would be fat too, it’s definitely gynecomastia which can only be reduced with surgery although some studies say Tamaxofin (a breast cancer drug) can reduce it if it’s caused by puberity but surgery is the only guaranteed way to completely remove it… I’m surprised your GP hasn’t told you this, get a new GP and do what I said if you want to get that surgery and not cough up ££££’s. Call your (new) GP every week and say it hurts, it’s sore, you can’t touch it and can’t stop thinking about it, the pain is hurting you constantly, it’s mentally draining and making you self conscious… exaggerated. Or you won’t get surgery on the NHS like 90%+ of others like you.
Original post by 3121
Nope. It’s breast tissue, your breast glands have grown due to an uneven hormonal imbalance between Estrogen and Testosterone.

You have actual breats, breast tissue and glands, not a fat chest, otherwise they’d be less round, more saggy, and the middle bit would be fat too, it’s definitely gynecomastia which can only be reduced with surgery although some studies say Tamaxofin (a breast cancer drug) can reduce it if it’s caused by puberity but surgery is the only guaranteed way to completely remove it… I’m surprised your GP hasn’t told you this, get a new GP and do what I said if you want to get that surgery and not cough up ££££’s. Call your (new) GP every week and say it hurts, it’s sore, you can’t touch it and can’t stop thinking about it, the pain is hurting you constantly, it’s mentally draining and making you self conscious… exaggerated. Or you won’t get surgery on the NHS like 90%+ of others like you.

I’m happy to pay since I have the money, I just want them gone as quick as possible. I need to contact several clinics as the one I’ve just spoken to only has availability for a consultation during freshers week. So are there people that have six packs with man boobs? I can’t find any people like that when I’ve researched. What lifting weights not break down the tissue?
I’m happy to pay since I have the money, I just want them gone as quick as possible. I need to contact several clinics as the one I’ve just spoken to only has availability for a consultation during freshers week. So are there people that have six packs with man boobs? I can’t find any people like that when I’ve researched. What lifting weights not break down the tissue?

Are you based in London? Because there are a lot of clinics in Harley Street which is perpendicular to Oxford Street.
This is a good video to watch:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oMjcZMFMICI
Are you based in London? Because there are a lot of clinics in Harley Street which is perpendicular to Oxford Street.

Yes I’m trying a lot of those to get an appointment soon. They seem to be extremely busy as two have now come back to say they are unavailable until autumn
Yes I’m trying a lot of those to get an appointment soon. They seem to be extremely busy as two have now come back to say they are unavailable until autumn

Damn. That sucks because I also wanted to get a gyno surgery in London. I’ll try call some up

Latest