Does your school let you choose maths/f. maths as/a level modules? Watch

Robbie10538
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Well the question speaks for itself. I'm doing it next year and I think that we dont get a choice- we all have to do the same and statistics is involved heavily in the first year at least (which I dont mind, but I'm finding GCSE stats quite boring compared to other elements of maths). I'm with AQA by the way. Decision maths appeals to me with the little knowledge I have of it because I find how maths can be applied to computers quite interesting (i can programme BASIC to a limited degree). I'm also doing physics as/a with mechanics being the first physics module (OCR) so those will doing mechanics there help with maths mechanics.

If you have any advice / comments, please post
Mathy, Ace from Space
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, at my school...:
MATHS: C1-4 compulsory, Stats1 compulsory, OPTIONS = Stats2 or Mechanics1
FURTHER MATHS: I think Further Pure1 is compulsory, FP2-3 optional, S3/M2-3 optional too, or Decisions1 instead of S3/M3
...I think basically with Further the teachers give all the options and you can choose whatever modules to make up an A-Level...
...but yeah, like I said, that's what happens at my school.
Mathy, Ace from Space
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh yeah, personally I hated S1 so I did M1 as my option - considering I didn't do Physics A-Level (which does make it a bit easier), it was OK, but if you're the stats kind of person/want to do something later that involves stats it might be useful - the medics in my year were told to do Stats, but some of them did Mechanics anyway...
Hope that helps!
forgottenromeo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
our school advertises that you can choose the maths modules, but because of staff limitations we can't. i would recommened stats 1 and 2 if you are planning to do anything with science and mechanics if not. decision is good if you are planning on doing business. Try and get a teacher to go through them with you and see which you find easier to get your head round. even if you find it boring you should do it. because overall universities look for the grades.
Tom345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
With my 6th form we do Edexcel, and we can choose whatever modules we want really, but the one's we were taught were C1-4, FP1-3, M1-5 or S1-2,depending if you chooce stats or mechanics. No-one has ever done S3-4 here... I self taught S1, D1, and so did a few others in our class, it's quite easy really. If you aren't comfortable with the modules being taught you can always do that. (Though C1-4 are compulsory, and so is FP1 and one out of FP2 and FP3) for Edexcel anyway, not sure about AQA.

Around april time we decided to scrap M5 and learn S2 instead, and our teacher was happy with that.
Glutamic Acid
Badges: 16
Report 11 years ago
1st Year: No. We have to do C1, C2, S1, M1, FP1 and D1.

2nd Year: There is some choice. C3, C4, FP2 and FP3 are compulsory, but we can do either {S2 and S3}{S2 and M2}{M2 and M3}
x_reggg
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
in my school you can only choose to do whatever modules you want if you're in the accelerated maths class. for the rest of the year, it was between mechanics (M1/M2) or stats (S1/S2).

even in the accelerated maths class, we had to do M1 and S1 (these were taught by our teachers, so we kinda had to do them) but then afterwards we kinda did whatever we wanted and the teachers would teach us the things everyone was learning.

most people in our class ended up doing similar things (FP1/FP2/M2/S2/M3), but some others (like me :p:) did other modules like FP3, S3 and D2. we all self-taught ourselves these modules except for FP1 and just asked our teachers when we were stuck.
Daniel Freedman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In our first year we have no choice and have to do: C1, C2, C3, C4, M1 and S1

In our second year we have to do: FP1, FP2, FP3, M2 and S2, and then we decide as a class between M3 and S3.
weet_ABI_x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We can't do further maths at our school. We obviously do C1-4, and then you have to choose S1 and S2 or M1 and M2, you can't mix them.
Bandit Queen
Report 11 years ago
At our school, the only choice you get is between maths or further maths!

In normal maths, we do C1-4 and M1 and 2.

The further maths people do as above and FP1,2,3 and S1-3 and M2 and 3.

Honestly, I quite liked M1 and 2, but I think it's nice to have a choice as well.

(I'm doing Edexcel).
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
I self teach, so I can do what the **** I want. So I'm doing 7 pure, S1 and M1-4. Yay.
Daniel Freedman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
I self teach, so I can do what the **** I want. So I'm doing 7 pure, S1 and M1-4. Yay.
How far are you at the moment?
qgujxj39
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daniel Freedman)
How far are you at the moment?
I'm sitting FP1 tomorrow, and then I'll've done C1-4, S1, M1-2 and FP1, which is 8 in total. I'm gonna learn FP2 and M3 in the holidays as well, I think.
Daniel Freedman
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
I'm sitting FP1 tomorrow, and then I'll've done C1-4, S1, M1-2 and FP1, which is 8 in total. I'm gonna learn FP2 and M3 in the holidays as well, I think.
Ahh right. I stated teaching myself FP1 a few days ago, and I'm pretty much finished (although I did miss out numerical methods, as they're rubbish). I plan to have finished FP2 and have started FP3 by the time I break up from school.
jack2308
Report 11 years ago
Like you i did stats at GSCE and thought it was ok. Basically it was just new stuff so i was keen to learn it. Our school don't let you choose modules. Personally i find stats 1 dull and just number crunching. It was so laborious by the end of the module but M1 on the other was a lot better. it complimented my physics better and i enjoyed the way it relates to real life things that you can imagine.
Also school wouldn't let me do further maths but one teacher who i got on with said he would teach it in his lunch times. I didnt care what grade i got in the exam i just did it for passion of maths. It was just FP1 but i found it really interesting, wanted to do D1 but unfortunately he left the school.
Just thought you might like to hear my experience.
nicnakniccynoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
At my college we don't really get a choice. Obviously we have to do C1 - C4 and at AS we have to tak D1 but in A2 some classes like mine got the choice of whether or not to take D2 or S1.
qgujxj39
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Daniel Freedman)
Ahh right. I stated teaching myself FP1 a few days ago, and I'm pretty much finished (although I did miss out numerical methods, as they're rubbish). I plan to have finished FP2 and have started FP3 by the time I break up from school.
Wow, when do you break up from school?
orionmoo
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Here in AS Maths you do C1 in Jan, and C2 and D1 in June. A2 you do C3 in Jan, and C4 and you get a choice between M1 or S1 in June.
mfc20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
we get to choose all apart from in AS (Edexcel) we have to take S1 for our applied module.
prudentstudent
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We don't really get a choice... have to do C1-4, FP1, M1-3, S1-3. So only one or two module choice.
D1 etc is "a waste of time and not maths" apparently...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (26)
7.01%
They might tell the bully (35)
9.43%
I don't think they'd understand (56)
15.09%
It might lead to more bullying (145)
39.08%
There's nothing they could do (109)
29.38%

Watched Threads