Does your school let you choose maths/f. maths as/a level modules? Watch

conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
I self teach, so I can do what the **** I want. So I'm doing 7 pure, S1 and M1-4. Yay.
Same here but with two exceptions , when I started out at A-level mathematics in year 11 we did S1 first (appaling idea that , started it in July and didn't even finish it by the exam in January) , then the class did C1.I decided I'd also self-teach myself C2 to do along in June along with C1.Did M1 in the summer after my GCSEs were done.

I also had to do D1 , which my applied teacher justified by saying that in the school's experience people scored much better in D1 than they did in M1 (this at the start of year 12).I'd have rather they did M1 then so I could do M2 at that point.Asides from that I've been left to plot my own way through the syllabus really , I decided to do M2 last summer and M3 in January this year.

The normal A2 course at our sixth form has people doing C1 , C2 and S1 in lower sixth and then C3 , C4 and M1 (they would normally do D1 but they decided with most of the class doing Physics A2 to change to mechanics).
Quoz
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
Ok, heres my input for you.

C1,C2,C3,C4 = Normal Maths
FP1, FP2, FP3 = F Maths

Then id suggest M1, M2, M3, S1, S2.

^^^ that would be the most interesting combination, and quite respected too.

However if you wish to go 'easy' then replace M3 and S2 with D1, D2. I dont reccomend D1 to anybody, its applications at the level you study it are not interesting and are a complete joke. Its only there to make up the grade, no other reason. The level of maths required to do this you learn in year 9.
Daniel Freedman
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by tommmmmmmmmm)
Wow, when do you break up from school?
18th of July
Alfchick60
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
for my maths & f.maths i did:
maths: C1-C4, S1, S2
f.maths: FP1-FP3, M1 - M3

like another poster my school won't let us do the Ds because they aren't well respected, aren't proper maths etc.
username138327
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes my college sorta does.
If you do maths you do either discrete or mechanics. If you do f. maths you don't. I did:
C1, C2, S1 (which I did at school not college) then C3, C4, D1

and f. maths:
M1, M2, FP1 then S2, FP2, FP3.

If your doing maths then doing mechanics in the first year will help you greatly. The first physics module and mechanics 1 and 2 basically overlap nearly completely. Thus it is very easy.

Your choices at a level don't really make jack-**** difference. Unless of course you are looking at specific stats course (then s1/s2 will be better) or an engineering type course (so m will be better, but you do physics anyway) at uni. Really D1 is stupidly easy and D2 is almost as easy. M will be easy whether you do physics or not, and if you do then well it's bascially as easy as D.
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
well in my school they will enter you for whatever you want.

If your self teaching i dont think there is an issue - they are just being pricks if they won enter you - you could always pay for entry
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Quoz)
I dont reccomend D1 to anybody, its applications at the level you study it are not interesting and are a complete joke. Its only there to make up the grade, no other reason. The level of maths required to do this you learn in year 9.
Agreed - as interesting as Gantt charts and Critical Path Analysis can be there's no real mathematical content really.I'm not sure why some of it's in A-level to be honest - it would be interesting in GCSE Maths though to give a more varied con text to which mathematical skills can be used than just plain stats.

I probably would have rather done M4 than D1 to be honest ,it might be a lot harder but it would be a lot more rigourous and rewarding .
silent ninja
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Self-teach also so do/did whatever I want. I didn't plan on doing a maths related degree at the time so I only did 9 modules during my 2 years of A levels. I would go in, discuss what i'm going to study with the head of maths, then just enter for the exams. Actually, D1 I was kinda forced to study as there was a class already doing it and they didn't want me going AWOL for the whole year.
Robbie10538
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks everyone for the quick and useful reponces. I actually plan to do just pure maths at university. But if I chose, I would lean towards the mechanics/engineering side rather than statistics/economics.
*bobo*
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A-level, we have compulsory C1-4, S1 and M1.
F. A-level, no one had ever done it at my school before myself, so I self taught and could do whatever I wanted. However this year two people decided to take it up, so the school didn't let them have a huge amount of freedom with choices as they had to agree between themselves what modules to do so that they could be taught together. And they strongly recommended (ultimately forced) the taking of decision modules, however I managed to avoid this
steve2006
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my school doesnt let us choose maths or further maths modules

AS Maths: C1, C2, S1
A2 Maths: C3, C4, M1

AS Further Maths: FP1, D1, S2
A2 Further Maths: FP2, FP3, M2

Thats why im doing further maths out of school. I really dont wanna do all the further pure modules and would prefer to do 4 applied modules.
Pork and Beans
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I never really had a choice. The one time I had one was when I chose to join the mechanics class over the statistics class. The next lesson the head of maths said I had to self-study S1 and I'd be doing the exam in January.

The regular maths people at my school get to choose any two from M1-2 and S1-2 (this means for A2 we have M1 and M2 in the same class and S1 and S2 in another class).
BBTOTW
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
We had to do M1, M2 and S1, but got to choose between M3 and S2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (116)
65.91%
No I haven't decided yet (36)
20.45%
Yes but I might change my mind (24)
13.64%

Watched Threads