The Student Room Group

How often are NEA marks changed during moderation?

Like many people, I'm anxiously awaiting my A-Level English Lit result.

I believe my NEA coursework was under-marked by my school, but I unfortunately missed the internal deadline back in April to get them to remark it. If I'm right that I ought to have been given a higher mark, is it likely that the AQA moderator will have upped it during the moderation process? How often does AQA actually change the marks given to NEA essays?

i’m in the same situation! sorry i can’t help ( just commenting so i know when there’s an answer) ☺️☺️
Reply 2
Original post by Gwil
Like many people, I'm anxiously awaiting my A-Level English Lit result.

I believe my NEA coursework was under-marked by my school, but I unfortunately missed the internal deadline back in April to get them to remark it. If I'm right that I ought to have been given a higher mark, is it likely that the AQA moderator will have upped it during the moderation process? How often does AQA actually change the marks given to NEA essays?

@ParadoxSocks One for you since you marked Computer Science NEA's (I know it's not english lit)
Reply 3
I've seen hundreds of sets of work submitted for moderation and never seen marks increased by AQA or any other board. I would say they are reduced something like 20% of the time.
(edited 4 years ago)
The marks would need to be out for a specific number in the sample before marks are moved. If the sample hasn't been marked correctly by the school, and the difference is significant then there's a chance of movement but everyone in your school will move together.

There's a mechanism that can be triggered if everyone but one person has been marked negatively or if a particular student is significantly disadvantaged but it's very rare.

Teachers usually overestimate and I agree, as an ex-teacher, that generally marks are adjusted down. There is movement up very occasionally though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
I've seen hundreds of sets of work submitted for moderation and never seen marks increased by AQA or any other board. I would say they are reduced something like 20% of the time.

Original post by ParadoxSocks
The marks would need to be out for a specific number in the sample before marks are moved. If the sample hasn't been marked correctly by the school, and the difference is significant then there's a chance of movement but everyone in your school will move together.

There's a mechanism that can be triggered if everyone but one person has been marked negatively or if a particular student is significantly disadvantaged but it's very rare.

Teachers usually overestimate and I agree, as an ex-teacher, that generally marks are adjusted down. There is movement up very occasionally though.

Thank you for the helpful answers.

Does that mean that if the mark were changed, all the candidates from the school would get the same number of marks added/removed? What if half of the essays were fairly marked but the other half weren't? Why is adjusting the mark upwards so unusual?

Is there anything I can do about my NEA mark on results' day? Is a review possible?
Reply 6
Original post by Gwil
Does that mean that if the mark were changed, all the candidates from the school would get the same number of marks added/removed? What if half of the essays were fairly marked but the other half weren't? Why is adjusting the mark upwards so unusual?

Is there anything I can do about my NEA mark on results' day? Is a review possible?

The same changes are applied to all the centre's work but this may be scaled - e.g. -6 marks if you score above 58, -5 marks from 54-57, -4 marks 50-53 etc. The moderator sees only a sample which is used to make a judgement on the overall marking which is then applied across all the centre's work. Individual adjustments are only made to individual work for clerical errors - e.g. the marker has added up the marks scored wrongly. In theory, the moderator could decide that the marking was so erratic that she needs to see a bigger sample to make a judgement but I've never seen that happen (and I reckon I'e seen the results of nearly 1000 moderations).

Teachers are trying to get the best marks they can for their students so mark as highly as they think they can get away with without triggering the marks being moderated down - the perfect moderator comment to receive is that the marking was slight over generous but just within tolerance. Also, sometimes teachers have misunderstood the assessment criteria and so have taught and marked to the wrong requirement - this will almost certainly lead to a mark reduction on moderation as the candidates, through no fault of their own, have not done the right thing.

You can't apply for an individual review for NEA when you get your results. IF the school's marks have been moderated down then the school could apply for remoderation for the whole sample but they can't apply for re-moderation if the marks have not been changed.
Reply 7
Original post by Compost
The same changes are applied to all the centre's work but this may be scaled - e.g. -6 marks if you score above 58, -5 marks from 54-57, -4 marks 50-53 etc. The moderator sees only a sample which is used to make a judgement on the overall marking which is then applied across all the centre's work. Individual adjustments are only made to individual work for clerical errors - e.g. the marker has added up the marks scored wrongly. In theory, the moderator could decide that the marking was so erratic that she needs to see a bigger sample to make a judgement but I've never seen that happen (and I reckon I'e seen the results of nearly 1000 moderations).

Teachers are trying to get the best marks they can for their students so mark as highly as they think they can get away with without triggering the marks being moderated down - the perfect moderator comment to receive is that the marking was slight over generous but just within tolerance. Also, sometimes teachers have misunderstood the assessment criteria and so have taught and marked to the wrong requirement - this will almost certainly lead to a mark reduction on moderation as the candidates, through no fault of their own, have not done the right thing.

You can't apply for an individual review for NEA when you get your results. IF the school's marks have been moderated down then the school could apply for remoderation for the whole sample but they can't apply for re-moderation if the marks have not been changed.

Thank you for this information!

My school's policy is for the NEA to be marked by two teachers and then to use the average. I think the mark my own teacher gave me was fair, but the second marker knocked it down harshly for a fairly trivial reason.

I'm kicking myself for having missed the deadline to get the school to remark it back in April, but there seems to be nothing I can do about it now.

Thank you for your help.
Original post by Gwil
Thank you for this information!

My school's policy is for the NEA to be marked by two teachers and then to use the average. I think the mark my own teacher gave me was fair, but the second marker knocked it down harshly for a fairly trivial reason.

I'm kicking myself for having missed the deadline to get the school to remark it back in April, but there seems to be nothing I can do about it now.

Thank you for your help.

Hey! Just wondering about the result of your moderation? Was your NEA marked up or down? I've just finished my Alevels and Im wondering about my computer science NEA. Thanks! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest