Medicine Abroad? Watch

PrazzPrazz
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So I am at the peak of applying for medicine through UCAS. Is it worth applying for universities abroad considering the heavy competitiveness here? Also will that take one space on my UCAS choices? What is the process?
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
So I am on the verge of applying for medicine through UCAS? In terms of applying abroad is it worth it? Does it take up one of your options?
F.I.N1010
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don’t think UCAS will allow you to apply for medical schools outside the UK. Personally I think it’s best to apply to UK schools then use an abroad school as a last resort.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by F.I.N1010)
I don’t think UCAS will allow you to apply for medical schools outside the UK. Personally I think it’s best to apply to UK schools then use an abroad school as a last resort.
Okay thank you.
F.I.N1010
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No problem, good luck with your application if you have any other questions just Pm me
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HCB97
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Someone I know went to Italy and had a great time, they are now fluent in Italian (spoke none before) and have no debt. Although in europe most med schools are much less clinical, so he had limited clinical experience, far more academics. And bear in mind it isn't very easy to use an european med degree to work in the UK, there are a few hurdles for that. I'm almost certain it is not done through UCAS, but I'm afraid I don't know much more, I'd recommend starting by looking at the major european med school admission websites. I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting into UK med schools tbh, anyway best of luck!
Mckailer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No applying for medicine abroad will not take up one of your options as you apply to study medicine abroad privately, i.e. getting in touch with the university itself and speaking to its admissions department about there application process. Or you can get in touch with an agency, e.g. Study Medicine Europe (SME) and they help you out with the application process.

Now its completely up to you whether or not you want to apply to study abroad alongside UCAS applications. But I personally would suggest just applying to UK schools at least for now, just because it's going to be a lot harder funding yourself abroad and sorting out visas and things. But again that's up to you and how dedicated you are to study in the UK.
Democracy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by PrazzPrazz)
So I am at the peak of applying for medicine through UCAS. Is it worth applying for universities abroad considering the heavy competitiveness here? Also will that take one space on my UCAS choices? What is the process?
UCAS is for applying to UK universities.

Applying to overseas medical schools will probably mean having to sit exams and paying registration/application fees. Are you actually willing to take the offer and move abroad for five or six years? If so, apply. If not, don't bother. You're better off getting the grades and re-applying here next year.
rjckk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Aren't you from UK?
Royal Oak
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So I am on the verge of applying for medicine through UCAS? In terms of applying abroad is it worth it? Does it take up one of your options?
I'd apply to UK medical schools and use going abroad as an absolute last resort. I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I personally think studying abroad when Brexit is still up in the air isn't the best of ideas. Plus there seem to be so many dodgy agencies and medical schools that it seems like a hassle if you haven't exhausted all your choices for studying in the UK. This is assuming you actually plan to come back and work here of course.
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by HCB97)
Someone I know went to Italy and had a great time, they are now fluent in Italian (spoke none before) and have no debt. Although in europe most med schools are much less clinical, so he had limited clinical experience, far more academics. And bear in mind it isn't very easy to use an european med degree to work in the UK, there are a few hurdles for that. I'm almost certain it is not done through UCAS, but I'm afraid I don't know much more, I'd recommend starting by looking at the major european med school admission websites. I don't think you'll have too much trouble getting into UK med schools tbh, anyway best of luck!
Thank you so much I think I will use it as my final resort!
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mckailer)
No applying for medicine abroad will not take up one of your options as you apply to study medicine abroad privately, i.e. getting in touch with the university itself and speaking to its admissions department about there application process. Or you can get in touch with an agency, e.g. Study Medicine Europe (SME) and they help you out with the application process.

Now its completely up to you whether or not you want to apply to study abroad alongside UCAS applications. But I personally would suggest just applying to UK schools at least for now, just because it's going to be a lot harder funding yourself abroad and sorting out visas and things. But again that's up to you and how dedicated you are to study in the UK.
Yeah I am in contact w study medicine europe and a university in singapore as I may want to live and settle there in the future.
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by rjckk)
Aren't you from UK?
I am and my first choices is to stay in England and continue my studies but as my final resort?
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Oak)
I'd apply to UK medical schools and use going abroad as an absolute last resort. I know some people say it doesn't matter, but I personally think studying abroad when Brexit is still up in the air isn't the best of ideas. Plus there seem to be so many dodgy agencies and medical schools that it seems like a hassle if you haven't exhausted all your choices for studying in the UK. This is assuming you actually plan to come back and work here of course.
I am undecisive whether I want to continue living in England or move abroad in the future, its complicated because when I was doing work experience many GPs and hospital practioners told me the demand for doctors isn't significantly great, the government pays isn't credible for the work placed in, there is a greater pressure placed over by the number of patients and overpopulating, patients cannot wait for appointment so communicate at various clinics, various doctors various medication and also that brexit is making it more difficult.
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Democracy)
UCAS is for applying to UK universities.

Applying to overseas medical schools will probably mean having to sit exams and paying registration/application fees. Are you actually willing to take the offer and move abroad for five or six years? If so, apply. If not, don't bother. You're better off getting the grades and re-applying here next year.
I haven't decided where I want to permanently settle in the future.
username4894900
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would focus on trying to get into the UK if your hopes are to work in the UK.

What are your grades? I am currently a medic. Have you completed your UCAT?
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I am undecisive whether I want to continue living in England or move abroad in the future, its complicated because when I was doing work experience many GPs and hospital practioners told me the demand for doctors isn't significantly great, the government pays isn't credible for the work placed in, there is a greater pressure placed over by the number of patients and overpopulating, patients cannot wait for appointment so communicate at various clinics, various doctors various medication and also that brexit is making it more difficult.
They told you there wasn't a demand for doctors in this country?
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
My predicted grades are A* A A and my UCAT is in two weeks time
PrazzPrazz
Rep:
?
(Original post by Royal Oak)
They told you there wasn't a demand for doctors in this country?
The demand wasn't as high as other countries but I did want to do a few months out of my career to work for MSN UK. They said other doctors in many other countries aren't funded my the government and therefore own and work privately. I don't think working privately in England is a good idea considering that everyone will run to the NHS.
Royal Oak
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The demand wasn't as high as other countries but I did want to do a few months out of my career to work for MSN UK. They said other doctors in many other countries aren't funded my the government and therefore own and work privately. I don't think working privately in England is a good idea considering that everyone will run to the NHS.
The employment rate for medical students who want to become doctors is virtually 100%. There is a great demand for doctors as well as other healthcare staff in this country. Also, many NHS doctors do private work to, depending on their speciality. I don't understand, are you currently living and studying in the UK?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (167)
13.11%
Excited (111)
8.71%
Worried (232)
18.21%
Terrified (298)
23.39%
Meh (102)
8.01%
Confused (32)
2.51%
Putting on a brave face (169)
13.27%
Impatient (163)
12.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise