The Student Room Group

What the hell is an overdraft?

Hi!

I don't know much about banking... I never really understood what an overdraft really meant. It seems like something only offered in banks in the UK.
How different is it from a credit?
Please explain like I'm five

Thanks!
Original post by Annguun
Hi!

I don't know much about banking... I never really understood what an overdraft really meant. It seems like something only offered in banks in the UK.

Thanks!

Screenshot_7.pngThis is funny.
Reply 2
Original post by Annguun
Hi!

Thanks!

As far as I'm aware it's just a little extra money you can access if you really need it, without having to take out a loan and pay interest on paying it back etc. (as long as you stay within your limit). So for example, my student account has a £250 overdraft - if I completely run out of money and need to buy something urgently, I have that extra £250 available to me for as long as I need it, without worrying that I'm going to have to pay it back immediately as well as some ridiculous amount of interest.

I don't know what happens when you go over your overdraft, as I don't plan on ever needing to (I'm a strict budgeter and saver :smile:).
It’s basically extra money your bank gives you on a student account to go into if you get short of money, they don’t charge you interest if you go into it. Mine is currently £1500
Reply 4
Original post by Annguun
Hi!

Thanks!

Simply put it is an authorized/unauthorized loan on your current account. Student accounts tend to give you interest free ones i.e. temporarily free money, in a manner of speaking which then turn into an interest bearing one after you leave.
Long and the short of it being it is quite literally credit.
Original post by Annguun
Hi!

Thanks!

Hi Annguun

Having an overdraft means having less than £0.00 in your bank account.

I was lucky when I was a student because in my day we had student grants from our local authority. That and budgeting carefully meant I never had an overdraft. However when I was leaving uni there was talk of bringing in student loans.

Because you are a student and maybe do not have a job, the banks offer you an overdraft to tide you over.

It's inevitable that, as a student, you may have an overdraft. However it's important to try not to overspend if possible.

As a student I used to work for a high street bank in the holidays. If I went 1p overdrawn I would have had to have explained myself to the bank manager. This inspired me to be careful with money, and the habit of thrift has helped me over many a difficult time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending