What the hell is an overdraft?

Watch
Annguun
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 months ago
Hi!

I don't know much about banking... I never really understood what an overdraft really meant. It seems like something only offered in banks in the UK.
How different is it from a credit?
Please explain like I'm five

Thanks!
username1208193
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Annguun)
Hi!

I don't know much about banking... I never really understood what an overdraft really meant. It seems like something only offered in banks in the UK.

Thanks!
Name:  Screenshot_7.png
Views: 27
Size:  15.0 KBThis is funny.
Interea
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi!

Thanks!
As far as I'm aware it's just a little extra money you can access if you really need it, without having to take out a loan and pay interest on paying it back etc. (as long as you stay within your limit). So for example, my student account has a £250 overdraft - if I completely run out of money and need to buy something urgently, I have that extra £250 available to me for as long as I need it, without worrying that I'm going to have to pay it back immediately as well as some ridiculous amount of interest.

I don't know what happens when you go over your overdraft, as I don't plan on ever needing to (I'm a strict budgeter and saver ).
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
It’s basically extra money your bank gives you on a student account to go into if you get short of money, they don’t charge you interest if you go into it. Mine is currently £1500
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi!

Thanks!
Simply put it is an authorized/unauthorized loan on your current account. Student accounts tend to give you interest free ones i.e. temporarily free money, in a manner of speaking which then turn into an interest bearing one after you leave.
Long and the short of it being it is quite literally credit.
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi!

Thanks!
Hi Annguun

Having an overdraft means having less than £0.00 in your bank account.

I was lucky when I was a student because in my day we had student grants from our local authority. That and budgeting carefully meant I never had an overdraft. However when I was leaving uni there was talk of bringing in student loans.

Because you are a student and maybe do not have a job, the banks offer you an overdraft to tide you over.

It's inevitable that, as a student, you may have an overdraft. However it's important to try not to overspend if possible.

As a student I used to work for a high street bank in the holidays. If I went 1p overdrawn I would have had to have explained myself to the bank manager. This inspired me to be careful with money, and the habit of thrift has helped me over many a difficult time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (160)
15.55%
Uncertainty around my education (167)
16.23%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (98)
9.52%
Isolating with family (71)
6.9%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (38)
3.69%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (90)
8.75%
Loneliness (102)
9.91%
Financial worries (46)
4.47%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (94)
9.14%
Exposure to negative news/social media (73)
7.09%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (90)
8.75%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise