Dad keeps swearing Watch

Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous,)
Thats the thing it never adds emphasis for me though it just sounds.. dirty lol. Its ok now and again and can be funny in jokes etc but hearing someone mutter swear words to themself all day gets annoying Im glad Im not in the house all day. It takes a stronger person to avoid swearing and find different words.:yy:
Brilliantly said.

My dad swears if he has a big argument with mom
HereWithMe89
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by MSB)
Woah woah woaaaaaah.

double :ditto:
x y z
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by OiaB)
:ditto:
I was just about to make that response.
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Swearing is not considered a problem by many in modern society in my opinion. Most people swear these days, people dont pay any attention. After all it is just words, the movement of air molecules created by a change in energy by somebodys vocal chords. Absolutely nothing to be offended by. Blasphemy is also not really a big issue unless your a devout christian or something.

Being hit, on the other hand, is unacceptable.
CoolioVendetta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Unless I've missed something, how do we know the OP didn't deserve a smack?
Ewan
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Isn't *********** Jesus a bit direspectful to Jesus and others lol, not that he's alive or ever was but still.
I dunno I quite often say the lords name in vain
IanDangerously
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CoolioVendetta)
Unless I've missed something, how do we know the OP didn't deserve a smack?
Because nobody deserves a smack. Violence is, in 100% of cases, UNACCEPTABLE.
fizzie90
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
i can think of a good half a dozen people who would proabably benefit from being slapped abit!
no, only joking!
no one deserves physical abuse, especially from parents who are there to protect u!
But if u arent going to report tht etc tht nothing we can say will change tht! as for ur problem with the swearing, i wud just avoid ur dad at all costs really, i mean i swear, but sometimes its just vulgar hearing it from some people, and all the time is just annoying. besides if hes hit u before chances are u asking him not to swear may cause him to hit u again or something?
so i'd just leave it and hurry up and move out or go to uni etcc!!
silverbolt
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't mind hearing it from people like you and the odd word but I think from parents all the time is ott, expecially ********** Jesus would you like to hear it? I was brought up not to swear and now its all I hear.
would i like to hear it? Wouldnt bother me in the slightest
amy.dd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You could politely ask him if he could restrict the amount he swears.

Personally I wouldn't be upset about it unless he was directing at me in an abusive manner (calling you names, telling you to ******* off). I'd also feel like I had no right to ask him to stop unless he was swearing at me, seeing as I live in my fathers house and he can say what he wants really.

Would worry a bit more about the hitting thing though.

edit: Also blasphemy is not an issue to me as I am not religious. I also feel that I try to not blaspheme around Christians but if I do I get VERY annoyed if they tell me off as I am never trying to offend them, I'm not saying it in a church and I don't see why their beliefs should restrict my vocabulary (even though as I said I try not to blaspheme around Christians out of respect).
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats the thing it never adds emphasis for me though it just sounds.. dirty lol. Its ok now and again and can be funny in jokes etc but hearing someone mutter swear words to themself all day gets annoying Im glad Im not in the house all day. It takes a stronger person to avoid swearing and find different words.:yy:
Perhaps it's just me being uncultured, but I don't know any ten-letter swear words, so I don't know what "********** Jesus" is meant to mean. Anyway, frankly, my dad swears a little bit, my friends swear a lot, and I swear a fair bit myself. It's nothing more than a method of expressing yourself, and saying it makes you weak to swear is little short of snobbery. Grow up, please. If you don't want him to swear, ask him not to, or bite your tongue. Swearing is at the end of the day just words; just because you've grown up a prude, doesn't mean you are able to make informed opinions about people's intelligence, articulacy, strength or whatever out of their use of swear words. I've heard every English student I know here at Cambridge swear many a time, and some of the filthiest mouths I know of belong to Oxbridge graduates I know. Of course, some of these people never swear. If there was ever any proof to you that swearing doesn't mean a lack of intelligence or eloquence, I can't think of a better example. It's simply a means of expressing yourself; if you don't wish to use it then don't, but don't berate others for it, it makes you look like a rather megalomaniacal prude.
generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by amy.dd)
I don't see why their beliefs should restrict my vocabulary
Yeah, and if I should happen to be talking to a black person, I don't see why their skin colour should restrict my use of racist terminology... :rolleyes: Perhaps you should make more of an effort?
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Seriously, have you nothing better to do with your time? Find a hobby.
amy.dd
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Yeah, and if I should happen to be talking to a black person, I don't see why their skin colour should restrict my use of racist terminology... :rolleyes: Perhaps you should make more of an effort?
Did you not read the part where I said I do not blaspheme around Christians, however I have occasionally slipped up before and been told off by random people and friends. I DO make an effort but sometimes I slip up. And words I normally use to not consist of racist terminology where as I have picked up saying things such as 'jesus' or 'for gods sake' etc.
cuddles x
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My parents never swear infront of me x i'd be scared if they did x
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Perhaps it's just me being uncultured, but I don't know any ten-letter swear words, so I don't know what "********** Jesus" is meant to mean. Anyway, frankly, my dad swears a little bit, my friends swear a lot, and I swear a fair bit myself. It's nothing more than a method of expressing yourself, and saying it makes you weak to swear is little short of snobbery. Grow up, please. If you don't want him to swear, ask him not to, or bite your tongue. Swearing is at the end of the day just words; just because you've grown up a prude, doesn't mean you are able to make informed opinions about people's intelligence, articulacy, strength or whatever out of their use of swear words. I've heard every English student I know here at Cambridge swear many a time, and some of the filthiest mouths I know of belong to Oxbridge graduates I know. Of course, some of these people never swear. If there was ever any proof to you that swearing doesn't mean a lack of intelligence or eloquence, I can't think of a better example. It's simply a means of expressing yourself; if you don't wish to use it then don't, but don't berate others for it, it makes you look like a rather megalomaniacal prude.
lol people berate me for swearing, my cousin was disgusted at me for swearing at my mum at christmas once but I don't go around muttering swear words to myself all day. I feel like a sheep for having to swear to get my point across its just not cool anymore like you said most people do it. I never said swearing makes you weak, I said I think that it takes a stronger person to resist swearing because someone told me to get a thicker skin. As for swearing being related to intelligence..your the one who brought that up. Thanks for calling me a prude, Ive never been called that before:p:
The_Professor
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Tell him to shut the **** up.
Frannnnn
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
my dads a swearer too. and unfortunatly it rubbed off on me a lot up till new years where i decided to try and control my swearing. it's going ****ing brilliantly.
Anonymous,
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by Segat1)
Seriously, have you nothing better to do with your time? Find a hobby.
We all need a hobby on here, we must sit around in our spare time posting on tsr:p:
CoolioVendetta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by IanDangerously)
Agreed, mollycoddling has worked well with the youth of today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (142)
17.95%
It's just nice to be back! (213)
26.93%
Not great so far... (283)
35.78%
I want to drop out! (153)
19.34%

Watched Threads