how to change course if finding after year 1 , that it is unsuitable

Watch
taggart65
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
was doing electronic engineering , but now realise would have been better doing maths and or computer science
aw150
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Tell your tutor and ask what you can do to change. I know a few coursemates whos changing to another course cuz they didnt like the first year.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by taggart65)
was doing electronic engineering , but now realise would have been better doing maths and or computer science
You can try internal and do it through the uni or simply reapply and find a different degree to start. Do not enrol for year 2.
taggart65
Rep:
?
(Original post by aw150)
Tell your tutor and ask what you can do to change. I know a few coursemates whos changing to another course cuz they didnt like the first year.
when asked about a couple of other courses was told by head of studies for these courses ,they are full , even though A level results not out yet!
Also these should be well within my abilities and a realistic choice
aw150
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
when asked about a couple of other courses was told by head of studies for these courses ,they are full , even though A level results not out yet!
Then its very possible that theyd have space after the results are out. Sometimes they allow you to change during the first two weeks of uni if u meet the requirements ofc. Shoot them lots of emails and ask the options u have.
taggart65
Rep:
?
(Original post by aw150)
Then its very possible that theyd have space after the results are out. Sometimes they allow you to change during the first two weeks of uni if u meet the requirements ofc. Shoot them lots of emails and ask the options u have.
thanks
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Then you might be better suspending your studies and applying through ucas for 2020 entry (or think about whether you would consider moving university and rushing in a ucas 2019 application to find somewhere in clearing).

Universities will generally know by now whether they have capacity to accommodate internal transfer students - they won’t refuse a transfer lightly and the situation is unlikely to change.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
As 999tigger says, do not start Year 2 if you are sure you no longer want to do electronic engineering, as that will have student funding implications if you later decide to start a different course in Maths.

Were you asking to transfer into Year 2 of the maths course or Year 1? (I wouldn't have thought they would let you transfer into Year 2 but just checking). If they really can't accomodate you as a Year 1 starter, then I would strongly consider doing as PQ suggests and leaving your current uni so that you can apply to new unis to do maths through Clearing for 2019 or suspending your studies completely so that you can have a few months to think about it before reapplying for 2020.
taggart65
Rep:
?
(Original post by harrysbar)
As 999tigger says, do not start Year 2 if you are sure you no longer want to do electronic engineering, as that will have student funding implications if you later decide to start a different course in Maths.

Were you asking to transfer into Year 2 of the maths course or Year 1? (I wouldn't have thought they would let you transfer into Year 2 but just checking). If they really can't accomodate you as a Year 1 starter, then I would strongly consider doing as PQ suggests and leaving your current uni so that you can apply to new unis to do maths through Clearing for 2019 or suspending your studies completely so that you can have a few months to think about it before reapplying for 2020.
thanks for replies
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (38)
18.1%
No one else does (68)
32.38%
I'm embarrassed about my background (20)
9.52%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (72)
34.29%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.43%
I don't have a camera (4)
1.9%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.38%

Watched Threads