This discussion is closed.
cynthiahxp
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Desperate Prayer)
I just like almost everything about him - who he was, what he did, how he thought, what he said, how he said it.

Some of his words are very profound. The annoying thing is, im certain I could have come up with them myself, but the cad got something of a head start on me :p:
I too am obsessed with Byron (Childe Harold's Pilgrimage <3) but more so Shelley. If I could meet the Shelley reincarnate my life would be complete - brooding, misanthropic, intellectual, intense appreciation for nature, vegetarian(or vegan like me, even better). Ah, only in my dreams I guess :cool:

I'm a Romantic more in the literal sense rather than intimately I'd say. I have this intense appreciation for nature and sense of adventure, so it'd be nice to have someone who'd enjoy those same things at me. Being able to find beauty in watching life in its purest forms, insects scuttling across the floor, birds calling to each other, observing rain clouds form, getting completely lost in lands undisturbed by man and not caring to find our way back. Someone who would travel with me, birdwatch, analyze art and philosophical concepts, all without having alterior motives (many people that do these things are only out to asset their superiority unfortunately). But there are very few people who share this intense appreciation, find the same beauty I do in nature, or value pure intentions...I always just assume I'll have many platonic relationships and never get married lol.

(Original post by forgottenromeo)
we should start a secret organisation of romantics!!
excellent idea
ChaChaCha
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by YorkshireRepublicanRebel.)
can somebody be too romantic?
Definitely. Being too romantic can be easily be mistaken with being really awkward/creepy.

I myself am a closet romantic...
Amelorn
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am one. It's what happens when you fall in love with King Arthur stories. I'm particularly fond of Tristan and Isolde (as told in Arthur Rex....not the movie with James Franco). In fact, I think Tristan and Isolde is one of the finest romances in the world, moreso than Romeo and Juliet.
dita_parlo
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My boyfriend is not stereotpically romantic at all. Sometimes I wish he would be a little bit romantic, but then I realised that he is romantic in his own way.
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
This thread reminds of of "If You Like Pina Colada" by Jimmy Buffet.

I don't think romance is dead, you've been looking in the wrong places.

Take out a personal ad :ninja:
Desperate Prayer
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cynthiahxp)
I too am obsessed with Byron (Childe Harold's Pilgrimage <3) but more so Shelley. If I could meet the Shelley reincarnate my life would be complete - brooding, misanthropic, intellectual, intense appreciation for nature, vegetarian(or vegan like me, even better). Ah, only in my dreams I guess :cool:

I'm a Romantic more in the literal sense rather than intimately I'd say. I have this intense appreciation for nature and sense of adventure, so it'd be nice to have someone who'd enjoy those same things at me. Being able to find beauty in watching life in its purest forms, insects scuttling across the floor, birds calling to each other, observing rain clouds form, getting completely lost in lands undisturbed by man and not caring to find our way back. Someone who would travel with me, birdwatch, analyze art and philosophical concepts, all without having alterior motives (many people that do these things are only out to asset their superiority unfortunately). But there are very few people who share this intense appreciation, find the same beauty I do in nature, or value pure intentions...I always just assume I'll have many platonic relationships and never get married lol.
If it helps, I have exactly the same problem. The only differences being that I want someone open and happy to help me shake away my darker moods - when I turn quiet and perhaps a little *too* introspective.

Your so right about appreciation of art - all forms, music...writing...anything, suffer from having people who clearly are there for straight intellectual reasons. One form of Art I have never liked is opera - I like the music, the theatrical side of it, but I detest the pace and overall feel. Im sure more than a few others feel the same way, or even more negatively, but still feel the need to impress upon others their "refined nature" and "culture" by sitting through something they hate.

Ive met very few people with a pure appreciation of anything, but those few tell you, from the heart, how something makes them feel, what they like about it - But these people are almost always the ones I find I can trust -and love - the most.
strawberry
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a self proclaimed romantic. Simply i can find no-one else who is a romantic and who likes long walks in parks, art and poetry, or spending quiet time together without having to actually be doing something.

Is there any other romantics out there? Or is romance as dead as chivalry?
Does playing NDSL together count as spending quiet time together without actually having to do anything? XD
forgottenromeo
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by LethalBizzle)
This thread reminds of of "If You Like Pina Colada" by Jimmy Buffet.

I don't think romance is dead, you've been looking in the wrong places.

Take out a personal ad :ninja:
thats what i did with this thread
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by strawberry)
Does playing NDSL together count as spending quiet time together without actually having to do anything? XD
Only if your really really bad at it :P: I meant in terms of just sitting curled up together in front of a fire and watching the flames. I'm no expert on romance, since it takes different forms for each person. If you enjoy it though why worry?
malleablegrace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a self proclaimed romantic. Simply i can find no-one else who is a romantic and who likes long walks in parks, art and poetry, or spending quiet time together without having to actually be doing something.
I'm all yours OP lol, seriously, that is me in a nutshell

I am ridiculously romantic and I don't know anyone like it either.

Walks, cuddles, just 'spending time' with someone, lying beneath the stars... I'm in love with love and romance
LethalBizzle
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
thats what i did with this thread
Couldn't be bothered to read all 12 pages :p:
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
I wouldn't but i was up till 4 this morning talking to my friend samantha. So it was something to do whilst she typed.

Does anyone else think disney is evil? Probably just me being skeptical, but i never could believe that things went as well as they did in disney movies. Things are never that perfect. -i realise they are kids movies- I prefere the more classic romances, and the original fairy tales (before disney got hold of them). They where a bit more true to life.
cynthiahxp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Desperate Prayer)
If it helps, I have exactly the same problem. The only differences being that I want someone open and happy to help me shake away my darker moods - when I turn quiet and perhaps a little *too* introspective.

Your so right about appreciation of art - all forms, music...writing...anything, suffer from having people who clearly are there for straight intellectual reasons. One form of Art I have never liked is opera - I like the music, the theatrical side of it, but I detest the pace and overall feel. Im sure more than a few others feel the same way, or even more negatively, but still feel the need to impress upon others their "refined nature" and "culture" by sitting through something they hate.

Ive met very few people with a pure appreciation of anything, but those few tell you, from the heart, how something makes them feel, what they like about it - But these people are almost always the ones I find I can trust -and love - the most.
No difference there, it'd be nice to have someone draw me out from my naturally introspective ways as well. (I don't sit around and mope all the time though :p: )

What shall we do? Unfortunately, I'm afraid that the lack of finding many with pure appreciation for anything has led me to be a tad judgemental, though more appreciative of individuals with passion for anything. I think that's what I'm most attracted to in people sometimes, passion, whether it be for life in general, something they inexplicably are in love with. I'm like a cross breed between a Romantic and transcendentalist
End tiny rant.

There should be more people like us in the world lol
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
Personally i had never heard of byron till this thread started, so i'm caught lacking for this conversation, but if anyone could recommend something of his for after the exams?
cynthiahxp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
There is society, where none intrudes,
By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
I love not man the less, but Nature more,
From these our interviews, in which I steal
From all I may be, or have been before,
To mingle with the Universe, and feel
What I can ne'er express, yet cannot all conceal.
- from Childe Harold's Pilgrimage

Those are my favourite Byron lines, from a longish piece depending on what you're interested in reading. If you're looking for poems try Prometheus or Darkness...those are ones that stand out to me anyway
Better yet, buy an anthology (though I'd recommend buying a Shelley one first!).
cynthiahxp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Where are you off to school by the way forgottenromeo?
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
I can go a bit better than buying them in that my mother is a librarian.
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
(Original post by cynthiahxp)
Where are you off to school by the way forgottenromeo?
If you mean why aren't i in school i'm on exam leave, and if you mean what school mosslands in wallasey. Uni wise i have applied for sheffield.
cynthiahxp
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oi yes, even better!! When I was younger my mom was my librarian and we stole, or took on extended leave, like hundreds of books lol, no one was reading them anyway!

I've off to Sheffield too though it's a bit of a trek for me. Never heard of Wallasey! What course have you applied for?
forgottenromeo
Rep:
?
Chemstry with study in japan, and wallasey is the little sticky out bit of land which consists of the other bank of the mersey -surprisingly-(county is merseyside) which is the river liverpool was built on.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (55)
67.9%
No I haven't decided yet (17)
20.99%
Yes but I might change my mind (9)
11.11%

Watched Threads