Freshers Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
After having my university place confirmed I’m starting to worry about actually going. Mainly freshers, I hate clubs and I’m not a big fan on drinking because I know I’m a horrible drunk (I make a lot of mistakes when I drink). So naturally I’m starting to worry about freshers and making friends, all of the confirmed events on the FXU (university of Exeter Penryn campus) website seem to be centred around drinking and the club scene. I’m scared I’ll make no friends and be seen as the boring loser in my flat not to mention I’ll be sharing a room as I went through clearing and I’m dreading getting stuck with a room mate who likes to party and comes home at ridiculous hours. Any previous freshers at any university have some advice on not going to all the parties during freshers but still making friends?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Freshers is one week of your uni experience- it won't make or break your whole three years. If you don't want to drink/go out, that's fine, and I'm sure there will be other things to do on campus and in the surrounding area. As long as you don't judge your flatmates, I'm sure they won't judge you. It may take a little longer to find your "tribe", but I'm sure you'll make friends either way. Joining societies is a good way to meet people, for example.

Sharing a room is a bit trickier- hopefully the uni will take personality etc into account when it comes to sharing a room. However, there does have to be an element of compromise. Especially during Freshers week, I would expect most people to be going out and coming back late at least some nights- this is part of the uni experience for most people and you're probably going to have to deal with that to some extent. As term goes on, most people do calm down and you'll probably only have to deal with late nights occasionally.

If it becomes a real problem, it's very likely there will be chances to room swap and maybe even move into a single room as the year goes on.
izzygrace_17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi! I'm just going into my second year at Exeter and when I started I HATED clubbing and drinking too! In Fresher's I went out once, I think. It's important you know that there is obviously a big drinking and clubbing culture, particularly in Fresher's, but this isn't going to make or break your uni experience. Some people hate Fresher's because it can be quite intense socially and a really odd environment to be in when you first get to uni, but others love it. I think there is a rule for societies at Exeter that, for every drinking social they do, they must host a non-drinking social too, like a quiz night or going out for dinner etc. There will be plenty going on in Fresher's that doesn't involve alcohol or clubbing, but I'd encourage you to go to society meet and greets - GUARANTEED you will meet like minded people!

As for your flat mates ... my flatemates weren't huge on clubbing either. Whilst our opinions have changed and our Fresher's this year will be very different, I know completely how you feel. You will find your people for sure, and it's not the end of the world if your flatmates aren't your best friends. As long as you get on and respect the space you live in, you will be completely fine!

Good luck with everything!!

If you have anymore questions, I have a thread here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho...6#post83683594

Or else feel free to DM me
Winterfell01
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I'm the same, absolutely terrified for freshers because I don't drink or go to clubs... But tbh not everyone does, I'm sure you'll find people who are like-minded so I wouldn't worry to much! I'm just trying to think positively but really, even if a lot of people in your flat do like drinking and clubbing it doesn't mean they will be horrible and judge you for not liking these things too. I'm sure they'll understand, and they wouldn't be horrible to you because everyone will be just as anxious to make friends as you! Don't forget you will all be strangers and you will all be at least a bit scared about moving away from home and living independently, in the first week everyone is likely to be extremely friendly to make a good impression which means they probably won't judge you if you don't like drinking, clubbing, staying up late partying etc. You don't have to go to any clubs during freshers week anyway, I'm not (well I might try one club just for the sake of trying at least, but no drinking), instead I'll look around at the different clubs and societies that suit me. You might not get on with your flatmates, thats always an option, but tbh your flatmates don't need to be your best friends. You might find people on your course who are just like you, and it'll be even easier to find like-minded people at clubs/societies. There will be a whole range of people with a variety of different interests, trust me you won't be the only person who doesn't like to drink and go clubbing! I won't lie, I'm pretty nervous about it myself but I'm sure everyone else is feeling just as anxious about making good first impressions.
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Fresher's week is just overhyped nonsense that companies take advantage of to get money. People don't magically change in their first week of uni and you can expect a diverse range of people at university who you can make friends with, you aren't forced to go to the socials.
One thing I'll say is if the first week doesn't go well, it's not the worst thing in the world, there will be people to meet once you actually start going to lectures.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads