Help! Watch

HelloHello24
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hello,

I have just left secondary school, and recently received my SQA results. I done a lot better than expected, and am now doubting my chosen career path as people are claiming that I am overqualified to become a teacher (which I disagree with!). I have accepted an unconditional offer for Primary Education at the University of Glasgow.

Here are my results:

National 5’s 2017:
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
English - A
French - A
Maths - A
Modern Studies - A

Higher’s 2018:
Biology - A
Chemistry - C
English - A
French - A
Maths – B

Higher’s 2019:
History - A
Modern Studies - A

Advanced Higher’s 2019:
English - A
French - A

I now have 5 A’s at Higher (3 of which are Band One’s - English, French and Modern Studies) and two A’s at Advanced Higher.

I would love to become a teacher but my second option has always been Law and I have also wanted to apply to a London university. However, I have never thought that I was good enough to do so.

I seen online that the entry requirements for Law at Oxford are 2 A’s at Advanced Higher and an additional A at Higher. I also saw that the entry requirements for Law at Kings College London are 2 A’s at Advanced Higher and 3 A’s at Higher in different subjects to that at Advanced Higher. Are these just the minimum requirements?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thank you! : )
bsb2392
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Congratulations on your results! I would suggest you try UCAS adjustment. If you phone UCAS and tell them that you done better than expected and you consider applying to another course. they might be able to help you.
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
We welcome the valuable skills developed by students studying within the Curriculum for Excellence and would usually expect AAAAB or AAAAA in Scottish Highers, supplemented by two or more Advanced Highers. Conditional offers will usually be for AAB if a student is able to take three Advanced Highers; where this is not possible then a student would be expected to achieve AA in two Advanced Highers, as well as an A grade in an additional Higher course taken in Year 6.
^^ Straight off the oxford website. As you have sat your AH already, it may be different but the above states they are expecting 5A's at higher (which normally are expected to be sat in one year)
So I feel like you may not be suited for Oxford

I've looked at law requirements of KCL and you seem like you meet them fine.
In general, yes, those are minimum entrance requirements
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HelloHello24)
Hello,

I have just left secondary school, and recently received my SQA results. I done a lot better than expected, and am now doubting my chosen career path as people are claiming that I am overqualified to become a teacher (which I disagree with!). I have accepted an unconditional offer for Primary Education at the University of Glasgow.

Here are my results:

National 5’s 2017:
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
English - A
French - A
Maths - A
Modern Studies - A

Higher’s 2018:
Biology - A
Chemistry - C
English - A
French - A
Maths – B

Higher’s 2019:
History - A
Modern Studies - A

Advanced Higher’s 2019:
English - A
French - A

I now have 5 A’s at Higher (3 of which are Band One’s - English, French and Modern Studies) and two A’s at Advanced Higher.

I would love to become a teacher but my second option has always been Law and I have also wanted to apply to a London university. However, I have never thought that I was good enough to do so.

I seen online that the entry requirements for Law at Oxford are 2 A’s at Advanced Higher and an additional A at Higher. I also saw that the entry requirements for Law at Kings College London are 2 A’s at Advanced Higher and 3 A’s at Higher in different subjects to that at Advanced Higher. Are these just the minimum requirements?

I think that based on the fact you want to become a teacher, you should stick with doing teaching at uni. Having the grades to do a more 'prestigious' course at a more 'prestigious' uni doesn't mean it's necessarily the best thing to do. Of course, if law at KCL is what you want to do, then you could take a gap year and apply (though obviously you're not guaranteed to get in), but to me it sounds like teaching is what you want to do.
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by HelloHello24)
Hello,

Here are my results:

National 5’s 2017:
Biology - A
Chemistry - B
English - A
French - A
Maths - A
Modern Studies - A

Higher’s 2018:
Biology - A
Chemistry - C
English - A
French - A
Maths – B

Higher’s 2019:
History - A
Modern Studies - A

Advanced Higher’s 2019:
English - A
French - A

I'd highly encourage you to do what you truly want to do. The good thing about both Law and Teaching is that if you want to change after your first degree, you can do an intensive postgraduate course (of around a year or two) to convert to either degree.

Your grades are great. Choose the one you'd be the most happy with. Don't think about the future just yet - what would you rather do this year or next year? Choose that. Otherwise, you may not enjoy the course meaning that you most likely won't enjoy professions related to that course.
Ingish
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What do you want to study, if grades and levels and all meant nothing, what would you choose to study if you could study anything?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (15)
16.85%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
14.61%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (22)
24.72%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (32)
35.96%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.12%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.74%