The Student Room Group

Dilemma-Help?!

Right, here is my situation.

A few weeks ago i applied to Barclays for the position of customer advisor (which is not a grad role) with the aim of doing something productive over the summer ie. gain some experience. I had an interview last week, and was offered the job! The pay is not that great though and i am expected to work there for at least 12 months, so they said.

BUT the job is full-time which is something i was not looking for (said i was flexible in the interview) since my focus is to secure a graduate job. Yesterday, i got my degree results and got a 2.1 in Economics!

Now my dilemma is that i could be doing so much better than this job, but the experience would be good especially since my CV is quite bare. I technically haven't started the job but i don't know if i should turn down the offer or work there for a few months before applying to the jobs that i really want..

Any help/advice would be much appreciated..:redface:
work there and simultaneously apply for grad level jobs. as a referee for you grad jobs quote someone from uni as opposed to whoever you'd be responsible to at barclays.

well done on your degree and good luck with your job hunting
what you're EXPECTED to do & what you're CONTRACTED to do are quite different :biggrin:

That is to say, unless you are under contract to work for 12 months for them, there's not an awful lot they can do to stop you handing in your notice when you get the graduate job you want. Definitely take the job & get the experience/£ while job hunting in the graduate market, as it can take a while.
Reply 3
If you take it with the plan to quit soon and take a grad job you should realize the grad jobs you're applying to will see you're planning to shaft your current employer and won't look favourably on it.

Latest