cejay15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I’m going into year 11 next month and I will have to choose what a-levels I want to do at college soon. I would love to be a doctor so I need to study medicine and for my a-levels I want to do biology, chemistry and art but do you think taking art will limit my choices for medical schools?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cejay15)
I’m going into year 11 next month and I will have to choose what a-levels I want to do at college soon. I would love to be a doctor so I need to study medicine and for my a-levels I want to do biology, chemistry and art but do you think taking art will limit my choices for medical schools?
Unless you want to go to Cambridge no.

This is the thread for Qs like this: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dia_daquiri)
I'm in the same position as you, I am going into year 11 next year, and also want to do medicine. I would say it would limit you somewhat but not too much. If u are aiming for places like Oxbridge and Russel group, many of their applicants take 3-4 sciences but some people with 2 sciences get in but only of few of them. So from my research taking 2 sciences will lower ur chance getting into the top universities,however art with a science is very attractive for universities too.
Wrong on 2 counts.

(1) It doesn't limit you anywhere except Cambridge

(2) There are no "top" or "bottom" medical schools. Russell Group med schools confer no advantage at all - it's a research alliance and most people don't do research during their Medicine degree. All med schools are accredited by the GMC - no one cares (for specialty training, or your patients) where you graduated from.

Note Brighton Sussex Med School (both are non-RG) is more competitive than Cambridge, and Oxford is only just averagely competitive.

Keele (another non-RG Uni) is quite prestigious in the world of medicine; so are St. Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen (all non-RG).

Don't discount a med school, just because they are not in the RG.

Please actually read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 before commenting.

Paging resident expert GANFYD .
Last edited by ecolier; 1 year ago
syrup!
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm in the same position as you, I am going into year 11 next year, and also want to do medicine. I would say it would limit you somewhat but not too much. If u are aiming for places like Oxbridge and Russel group, many of their applicants take 3-4 sciences but some people with 2 sciences get in but only of few of them. So from my research taking 2 sciences will lower ur chance getting into the top universities,however art with a science is very attractive for universities too.
thats a myth, unless ur applying cambridge.

do what you love tbh, make sure you're completely happy w/ art cus it is a lot of work, but otherwise its completely fine
oliviapersaud
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi, I'm applying for medicine in 2020.. If you're able to keep up with the workload that comes with A level art, then your application might even stand out more than the majority who are doing psychology, maths, etc. If you work it into your personal statement it could make you seem more well rounded and capable because you have interests outside of STEM and are motivated enough to cope with a huge workload. While I'm no expert, I really doubt it would limit your options too much, and honestly it's important to enjoy what you do. That being said, most of my friends do art at A level and the amount of time they have to spend working on that one class is crazy, which might be difficult because medicine requires a lot more preparation a lot earlier than a lot of other degrees.
Good luck!
GANFYD
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by ecolier)
Wrong on 2 counts.

(1) It doesn't limit you anywhere except Cambridge

(2) There are no "top" or "bottom" medical schools. Russell Group med schools confer no advantage at all - it's a research alliance and most people don't do research during their Medicine degree. All med schools are accredited by the GMC - no one cares (for specialty training, or your patients) where you graduated from.

Note Brighton Sussex Med School (both are non-RG) is more competitive than Cambridge, and Oxford is only just averagely competitive.

Keele (another non-RG Uni) is quite prestigious in the world of medicine; so are St. Andrews, Dundee and Aberdeen (all non-RG).

Don't discount a med school, just because they are not in the RG.

Please actually read https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5611422 before commenting.

Paging resident expert GANFYD .
You have covered everything already, young Padawan!
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What is this research you are talking about? We are always interested in evidence-based advice and decision-making
cejay15
Rep:
?
I wasn’t thinking about going to those universities because I want to stay closer to home but thank you anyway, I appreciate it. Have you chose what a-levels you want to do
cejay15
Rep:
?
(Original post by syrup!)
thats a myth, unless ur applying cambridge.

do what you love tbh, make sure you're completely happy w/ art cus it is a lot of work, but otherwise its completely fine
Art is my favourite subject by far and I paint at home in my free time
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I wasn’t thinking about going to those universities because I want to stay closer to home but thank you anyway, I appreciate it. Have you chose what a-levels you want to do
You need to quote someone if you want them to see your reply.
The point being made is that there are no better or worse Med schools, where you qualify from has no bearing on your career. And that chemistry, biology and any other academic A level is fine for everywhere except Cambridge.
syrup!
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Art is my favourite subject by far and I paint at home in my free time
but like make sure a level art is worth it for you as a person, cus like a levels for any subject is a completely diff ball game

that being said, if you work hard and you love art nothing can stop you from getting an a*
cejay15
Rep:
?
Thank you so much, you've been a huge help and I take gcse art and design and so far I’ve kept up to date with all of the projects and completed some in my own time and I know that’s probably nothing compared to the work in a-levels but I feel like I’m organised enough
cejay15
Rep:
?
(Original post by GANFYD)
You need to quote someone if you want them to see your reply.
The point being made is that there are no better or worse Med schools, where you qualify from has no bearing on your career. And that chemistry, biology and any other academic A level is fine for everywhere except Cambridge.
I’m new to this so thanks and I want to go to Keele as I’ve been in the medical school for medpath and I really enjoyed everything about it
GANFYD
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m new to this so thanks and I want to go to Keele as I’ve been in the medical school for medpath and I really enjoyed everything about it
The best med school for you is the one where your stats suit their selection process and where the course style, location and attitude suits you. Sounds like Keele has a good headstart with that. Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (126)
28.38%
No - I have already returned home (58)
13.06%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (87)
19.59%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (41)
9.23%
No - I live at home during term anyway (132)
29.73%

Watched Threads