Where does the American stereotype that English women are ugly come from? Watch

Aliman2020
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Do you agree with this answer from quora?

https://www.quora.com/Where-does-the...ugly-come-from
CAB18022
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, I personally don't think it's just an American stereotype. I recall a visual map of europe of which each country has a word which Brazilians describe them according to google search results and it so happens that the word for England is ugly haha. Although, there were other weird ones like gypsies for Romania which is of course a stereotype. So yeah, I don't think this is just an American stereotype (btw, as a Brazilian, i do feel a bit uneasy with those google search results 😂😂)
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The answer there is one opinion.

I'm more of the view that people from Britain are successful in the US because of their talent, whereas people from other countries need to be pretty to make up for their lack of talent...
anonymous1843921
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well, we are ugly...
sorryforgotpass
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I've never been to America so don't know if it's true, but just from youtube and general footage of the place it does seem like the average girl is much more attractive there.
RazzzBerries
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by sorryforgotpass)
I've never been to America so don't know if it's true, but just from youtube and general footage of the place it does seem like the average girl is much more attractive there.
Shots fired 😂
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Much much larger though...
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
British women are mostly fat and need lots of make up

Spoiler:
Show
Source: British woman myself
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Napp)
Much much larger though...
The country's much larger? Or the women? Lol
RomainNeedsHelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Fake stereotype. It is in fact thanks to the British Isles why the Americans are considered so hot.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bang Outta Order)
The country's much larger? Or the women? Lol
Well both now that you mention it aha
(Original post by RomainNeedsHelp)
Fake stereotype. It is in fact thanks to the British Isles why the Americans are considered so hot.
I think you'll find the rest of Europe might have a thing or two to say about that.
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
categorically not true, you just see the good looking ones on the TV. American girls are almost as ugly as British girls, generally.

If you want attractiveness, go to Central Europe... Bratislava, Prague, Vienna... omg
Burge91
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I don't think this stereotype exists.
Shhhhh!
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe you should go there - you might get an unpleasant surprise.
Napp
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
categorically not true, you just see the good looking ones on the TV. American girls are almost as ugly as British girls, generally.

If you want attractiveness, go to Central Europe... Bratislava, Prague, Vienna... omg
I take you Bratislava and Prague and raise you Kiev, Minsk and Moscow
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
suffian
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'm the poster of the article. It is my opinion that the stereotype was created by the US media (just like the stereotype that Chinese women are 'gorgeous' and never existed prior to then. But I also think the English media has a tendency to subconsciously mimic what the US media does and they thus tend not to prioritize good-looking white English women.

It is a very bizarre stereotype that I have noticed over the years expressed by Americans on the internet. It strikes me as such because I have never encountered that stereotype anywhere else and it also makes no scientific sense whatsoever. It also doesn't make historical sense given the European origins of the English and their close relation to other ethnic groups on the island. It also strikes me as very suspicious that Americans hold this stereotype against the one country (not just in Europe but also within the UK) that they typically view with contempt as their former 'colonial oppressors' (even though most white Americans at the time, including the founding fathers, were of English descent). It just seems way too convenient.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Maybe that is because the average American girl doesn't feel the need to be know only for their looks and hence doesn't post on YouTube?

Would you form a view of the average British women based on Love Island?
ThomH97
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Apparently Brits have dodgy teeth. That could have something to do with it. The quora page has been deleted so I can't actually see what the theory was.
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Wigan?
Retired_Messiah
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Our teeth are generally a bit more crooked and a proportion of our women have that weird obsession with fake tan which just doesn't exist over there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (122)
14.02%
Excited (85)
9.77%
Worried (164)
18.85%
Terrified (199)
22.87%
Meh (62)
7.13%
Confused (25)
2.87%