supersonicganan
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
How do the examiners work out the overall Maths AS level grade? Do they add up the three perentages and divide by 300? Then 80% is an A, 70% is a B and so on
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by supersonicganan)
How do the examiners work out the overall Maths AS level grade? Do they add up the three perentages and divide by 300? Then 80% is an A, 70% is a B and so on

Nope just add up all the numbers from the three modules [since they're all outta 100] and then work out the grade. So 240 would be an A. 210 would be a B and so forth.
remiredo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
but I thought that grade boundaries were defined by taking into account the difficulty of the exam... so that if the exam was really really difficult and A can be 70% or if it's easy an A can be 85% etc...
Sanjetti
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by remiredo)
but I thought that grade boundaries were defined by taking into account the difficulty of the exam... so that if the exam was really really difficult and A can be 70% or if it's easy an A can be 85% etc...
You're right, but I would read this thread, its really enlightening:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=404653
Faiza.
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Actually yeah true. But UMS boundaries never change. So in that case I dunno what happens
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
they consider that before they give you a UNS mark i.e. you get 50/75, and its a hard exam, so instead of 67 UMS they give, say, 75.

UMS grade boundaries never change. that's the whole point in them.
remiredo
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Sanjetti)
You're right, but I would read this thread, its really enlightening:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=404653
wow all that seems complex :eek:
MathematicalMind
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
raw marks are scaled up or down depending on the difficulty of the exam. so say the exam is out of 75 raw marks and it was hard then an A (80/100 ums) might be 58/75 but if the exam was easy then it may be 62/75 etc.
nuodai
Badges: 14
Report 11 years ago
1. Each module exam mark (out of 72, based on number of correct answers) -> UMS score (out of 100, based on exam score and exam difficulty)
2. UMS scores are added together (out of 300)
3. Overall grade given based on UMS score:
A - 240/300 - 80% and above
B - 210/300 - 70% and above
C - 180/300 - 60% and above
D - 150/300 - 50% and above
E - 120/300 - 40% and above
U - 119/300 - 39.67% and below
LStudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm slightly confused. So if I scores went something like:
20, 40, 60 does that mean I failed the As or passed it?
Can you fail a paper and still get graded a d for example?
mjtriggs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Based on the difficulty of the exam, they will scale your mark (out of 72) to a UMS marks out of 100.
The UMS Boundaries never change. It is always 80% for an A, 70% for a B etc.

On harder papers, the marks are scaled up by more. A 48 on a hard paper may get you a higher UMS mark than a 50 on an easier paper, for example. Does this explain it?
LStudent
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well what I'm trying to ask is if you failed lets say c2, but you passed c1 and statistics with a 40/75 and a 60/75 mark would you have enough marks to get the full as-level qualification? Or is failing a paper mean you've failed the entire thing?
mjtriggs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Failing one paper doesn't mean you've failed the whole thing, but it'll certainly stop you achieving anything above a C/D - even if you got 100 UMS on the other two.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (56)
66.67%
No I haven't decided yet (18)
21.43%
Yes but I might change my mind (10)
11.9%

Watched Threads