This discussion is closed.
izzychloe247
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, so I’m thinking of doing oceanography at uni, (preferably Southampton) is there anyone doing it who could tell me a bit about it? How challenging/hard is it? I do geography, maths and biology at a level so would it be suitable for me? Any other advice would be great too, thanks
TheYearNiner
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Dont know the likelihood of securing a job with such a degree but I'd imagine the course itself is easy
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheYearNiner)
Dont know the likelihood of securing a job with such a degree but I'd imagine the course itself is easy
Not sure OP should take the advice from someone who thinks moron should be spelled 'moran'... :lol:
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Not sure OP should take the advice from someone who thinks moron should be spelled 'moran'... :lol:
Lol what I said was said to obfuscate your original reply
Msbrownie.xo
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
what is oceanography?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TheYearNiner)
Lol what I said was said to obfuscate your original reply
That literally makes no sense in the context.
TheYearNiner
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
That literally makes no sense in the context.
:blah:
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Msbrownie.xo)
what is oceanography?
Literally the study of the oceans, like a mix of marine biology with the chemical and physical processes (like waves) and some geology too
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Izzyf14)
Hi, so I’m thinking of doing oceanography at uni, (preferably Southampton) is there anyone doing it who could tell me a bit about it? How challenging/hard is it? I do geography, maths and biology at a level so would it be suitable for me? Any other advice would be great too, thanks
ahh i remember you, i was advising oceanography over geography lol. have you pretty much made up your mind on that yet?

it's the perfect combo of A Levels. i expect oceanography to be quite mathsy but not in the horrible school kind of way. more computational analysis and stats from field work
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
ahh i remember you, i was advising oceanography over geography lol. have you pretty much made up your mind on that yet?

it's the perfect combo of A Levels. i expect oceanography to be quite mathsy but not in the horrible school kind of way. more computational analysis and stats from field work
hahaha you have a good memory!! I think I’m leaning towards oceanography (or at least I am for now) just because it seems to suit me more, but if I did it at Southampton I can do it with physical geography which looks really good
Also that’s good to hear because maths is starting to become a pain and I looked at the modules and it seems more like applied maths which is a lot better!!
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
hahaha you have a good memory!! I think I’m leaning towards oceanography (or at least I am for now) just because it seems to suit me more, but if I did it at Southampton I can do it with physical geography which looks really good
Also that’s good to hear because maths is starting to become a pain and I looked at the modules and it seems more like applied maths which is a lot better!!
ahh you should've said you were leaning towards that because of me ... and then you could look back in 30 yrs time and said it was all because of that lad on TSR haha.

no no i am glad that you are coming to a decision because of what suits you, and if you do a joint honours with physical geography then you are still covering both bases

the only thing that ever truly scared me in A level maths (infact A levels in general) was Mechanics, which luckily you probably wont have to look at ever again...stats though never truly leaves you
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
ahh you should've said you were leaning towards that because of me ... and then you could look back in 30 yrs time and said it was all because of that lad on TSR haha.

no no i am glad that you are coming to a decision because of what suits you, and if you do a joint honours with physical geography then you are still covering both bases

the only thing that ever truly scared me in A level maths (infact A levels in general) was Mechanics, which luckily you probably wont have to look at ever again...stats though never truly leaves you
well I never said you didn’t help me make that decision only sad part is that the field trips are not as exciting as the geography ones but that’s life I guess
And honestly mechanics is awful I can’t wait to drop it, and yeah a lot of stats is common sense, like everyone knows how to work out an average
Last edited by izzychloe247; 2 years ago
TheSotonian
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I recently completed my undergrad in Ireland but did my first year in Southampton (Geology not Oceanography) and I am from Southampton. If you do decide on Oceanography the National Oceanographic Centre of Southampton (NOCS) is a great facility to study at. Plus, your A-levels are ideal for the course too!.

I have completed a few oceanography courses throughout my studies and I can tell you it will be more challenging than a geography course by leagues. But, I would argue that the prospects are much better than that from a Geography degree as it is a science and not an arts degree - as well as the fact there are way too many geographers and not enough jobs anyways!. You'll be employable in the fields of seafloor mapping, benthic studies, environmental impact and pollution and hazard mitigation in ocean or coastal settings (just some I can think of).

Remember the degree is only short, don't worry so much about whether or not you'll be missing out on one good fieldtrip with the geographers; your need to critically think and decide which will set you up for a better future. I would advise Oceanography with Physical Geography.

Good luck!
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by TheSotonian)
I recently completed my undergrad in Ireland but did my first year in Southampton (Geology not Oceanography) and I am from Southampton. If you do decide on Oceanography the National Oceanographic Centre of Southampton (NOCS) is a great facility to study at. Plus, your A-levels are ideal for the course too!.

I have completed a few oceanography courses throughout my studies and I can tell you it will be more challenging than a geography course by leagues. But, I would argue that the prospects are much better than that from a Geography degree as it is a science and not an arts degree - as well as the fact there are way too many geographers and not enough jobs anyways!. You'll be employable in the fields of seafloor mapping, benthic studies, environmental impact and pollution and hazard mitigation in ocean or coastal settings (just some I can think of).

Remember the degree is only short, don't worry so much about whether or not you'll be missing out on one good fieldtrip with the geographers; your need to critically think and decide which will set you up for a better future. I would advise Oceanography with Physical Geography.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for this!!
I visited the nocs when I went to the Southampton open day and it really sold the place for me!! Everyone was friendly and i loved the facilities and the building in general, including the fact it’s right next to the sea!!
There’s only like 3 places I’m interested for geography because they allow you to basically avoid human geography which is vital for me, but even then I just feel like oceanography is generally more suitable for me - I’m better at science anyway and the geography degrees probably require more essay writing which I’m not a fan of!!
And you’re right, there’s nothing stopping me from doing study abroad or something like that if I want to travel.
Again thank you!! )
TheSotonian
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much for this!!
I visited the nocs when I went to the Southampton open day and it really sold the place for me!! Everyone was friendly and i loved the facilities and the building in general, including the fact it’s right next to the sea!!
There’s only like 3 places I’m interested for geography because they allow you to basically avoid human geography which is vital for me, but even then I just feel like oceanography is generally more suitable for me - I’m better at science anyway and the geography degrees probably require more essay writing which I’m not a fan of!!
And you’re right, there’s nothing stopping me from doing study abroad or something like that if I want to travel.
Again thank you!! )
Hey, no problem. I hope it all works out well for you.
When I chose my degree, I was initially going to do physical geography because I hated human geography too funnily enough. It doesn't sound like you're on too dissimilar a path.
If you do end up going to So'ton, take care of my city for me
Plagioclase
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm about to start my PhD in Oceanography. Of course I'm biased but it's a fantastic subject, hugely important, fascinating, and multidisciplinary. I've not studied at Southampton although I have visited NOC. It's a huge institution (compared to most other oceanography departments) which put me off slightly, but that's just personal preference - it's got a great reputation for oceanography (for obvious reasons). Geography, Maths and Biology is a good selection of A Levels for Oceanography. You're welcome to PM me for further information.
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
(Original post by Plagioclase)
I'm about to start my PhD in Oceanography. Of course I'm biased but it's a fantastic subject, hugely important, fascinating, and multidisciplinary. I've not studied at Southampton although I have visited NOC. It's a huge institution (compared to most other oceanography departments) which put me off slightly, but that's just personal preference - it's got a great reputation for oceanography (for obvious reasons). Geography, Maths and Biology is a good selection of A Levels for Oceanography. You're welcome to PM me for further information.
Thank you so much this is so helpful!! I’ll message you if I ever come up with any questions
CharisHeaven
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but if you are at Southampton uni doing oceanography how is it?
I'm currently first year NatSci (at Southampton) but I'm planning on switching to oceanography next year and would love any feedback or advice
izzychloe247
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by CharisHeaven)
Hi, I hope you don't mind me asking but if you are at Southampton uni doing oceanography how is it?
I'm currently first year NatSci (at Southampton) but I'm planning on switching to oceanography next year and would love any feedback or advice
hey, super sorry but i didn’t end up doing oceanography in the end as i just decided the course is too specific for me!! hopefully someone may see this and be able to help
artful_lounger
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by CharisHeaven)
Please don't bump year old threads...make a new thread asking your question, if the OP of this thread was doing Oceanography while at Southampton, they would then be able to see that and answer your thread there...
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
8.93%
I need help researching courses (5)
8.93%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.36%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
42.86%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (14)
25%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.57%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.36%

Watched Threads