The Student Room Group

Will Women and men ever be equal

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Aaryra
I’m aware of such inequalities. I admitted this, things like the stigma around mental illness among men are so disgusting, suicide among men is high and no one seems to talk about that issue. I get it, problems like telling a guy to ‘man’ up aren’t fair and we should focus on them too. We focus on women more because women have tended to be the oppressed and men the oppressors in the past, but it’s all changing and it’s sad that men aren’t getting the help they need.

In the past women for example were not forced to fight be killed in World War 1 like working class men. Working class men had no right to vote 95% of men killed were working class they got right vote later as an award for fighting. Women have never been forced to die for their country.
Reply 21
I doubt it
Original post by looloo2134
In the past women for example were not forced to fight be killed in World War 1 like working class men. Working class men had no right to vote 95% of men killed were working class they got right vote later as an award for fighting. Women have never been forced to die for their country.

Instead, women were forced to stay home and enjoy exploited by husbands. Marital rape was common, as was domestic abuse AGAINST women. Don’t compare the two situations, there’s worse things I can say.

It seems you’re an ignorant boy that doesn’t like the idea that as a man, you still hold a lot of privileges in society. Bringing up random things a hundred years ago doesn’t mean sh*t right now, and if it did we could go further - women were treated like absolutely nothing.
Reply 23

I would point out it was hardly just working class men who died in WWI I mean aside from the plethora of middle and upper class people who were killed women still hardly had the best of times. The ones who worked in the armaments factories being an excellent example.
Reply 24
Women complaining about their victimised status are the ones who are indeed inferior to men somehow, the rest just get on with their lives.
No, because there are many differences between men and women on a biological level. At our core I believe we're all equal, as in I believe we're all a part of the universe, a part of the everything that is. But on a physical level, we're not.
In Britain/USA most Western countries women have 5 legal rights that men do not have also UN report found that life was worst boys/men in America than for girls/women.

Women have the right to genital integrity
Women have the right to vote without agreeing to die (or conscriptional immunity,)
Women have the right to choose parenthood
Women have the right to be assumed (competent) caregivers for children
Women have the right to call unwanted, coerced sex rape

However, there are at least 7 more legal rights women have, that men don't (varying by Western country):

Women have the right to lower jail sentences for the same crime US, Australia, UK
Women have the right to not be assumed sexual predators British Airways, Qantas, Air New Zealand, Virgin Australia
Women have the right to government departments that solely serve their interests Office on Violence Against Women - US, Ministry for Women - New Zealand, Office for Women - Australia
Women have the right to government-enforced gender quotas Leadership positions in publicly traded companies - Norway, Legislated quotas in national parliaments - Belgium, France, Greece, Ireland, Spain, Portugal
Women have the right to exclusive tax benefits for being a business owner US, Australia
Women have the right to domestic violence shelters US, Canada, Europe
Women have the right to not be assumed the primary agressor in a domestic dispute US, UK

maybe there'd be specific 'violence against men' legislation if men were as systematically abused as women. also everything you've said here is innacurate of reality, but something tells me you don't actually care about that.

the fact that the decision makers of WW1 (men) chose to send men to war and to keep women as domestic labourers doesn't tell us anything about the equality of the future.
you seem to be bitter that women didn't die in WW1, and seem to think that this should be held against women... strange.
Original post by Sretep01
Do you think men and women will ever be treated and seen as completely equal

In what sense?

In some respects women are 'ahead' of men.

Globally or in a specific country.

If your on about in the boardroom or the wage gap, in the west then yes, I think we will get to equality. Whether that means 50/50 distribution of CEO/CFO's i am more doubtful, I think overall there are gender differences and there will always be some natural career selection in 'traditional' gender roles, i just think the gap will close (and significantly).

Jordan Peterson has done some excellent lecturers and interviews on the topic.
Reply 29
Original post by Sretep01
Do you think men and women will ever be treated and seen as completely equal

Men and women want different things so would make different demands. e.g. women want to stay young whereas men do not care.
Original post by tyu888
Men and women want different things so would make different demands. e.g. women want to stay young whereas men do not care.

????? i hope you're not referring to anti-aging cream lol
No because they're not. E.g. Sports. We segregate most sports because men are physically superior.
Unlikely, unless we move to a world where everyone only interacts online.

Most people are heterosexual, meaning they at the very least think about the opposite sex differently. Homosexuals too will view one sex differently to the other. And even asexuals and the most balanced bisexuals will see the physical differences and react differently.

Add to that that even older men are physically capable of jobs that women just can't do (also jobs that women don't want to do, such as construction), and things like parents being more likely to trust a teenage girl with babysitting their kids than a teenage boy, and we basically end up perpetuating gender roles.
Original post by ThomH97
Unlikely, unless we move to a world where everyone only interacts online.

Most people are heterosexual, meaning they at the very least think about the opposite sex differently. Homosexuals too will view one sex differently to the other. And even asexuals and the most balanced bisexuals will see the physical differences and react differently.

Add to that that even older men are physically capable of jobs that women just can't do (also jobs that women don't want to do, such as construction), and things like parents being more likely to trust a teenage girl with babysitting their kids than a teenage boy, and we basically end up perpetuating gender roles.

what jobs can't women physically do?
Reply 34
Original post by lawstudent1999

Very few, but say sports were gender fluid, women would not be able to compete with the men in athletics/basketball/cricket/football/tennis etc.

Other than that, where men clearly have genetic advantage in the sports and that's the cream of the crop in those sports(aka most men would not handle that physically), women should be able to handle any physical demands in the majority of jobs, may be harder, but doesn't mean they can't do it.
(edited 4 years ago)

I named a whole area full of examples in the parentheses. Basically things that require continual lifting and carrying of heavy things with more precision than a machine.

I think that almost any jobs (with the exception of physical competition such as sports), both men & women can both do. But there are certain jobs an average male or female is more suited too.

For example manual labour jobs with lifting and strenuous activity, on average males have more muscular strength & endurance hence a bias to one gender in the sector...
Original post by ThomH97
I named a whole area full of examples in the parentheses. Basically things that require continual lifting and carrying of heavy things with more precision than a machine.

my mum is a construction worker if that contributes to anything.
Reply 38
????? i hope you're not referring to anti-aging cream lol

Anti-ageing cream will not slow down ageing.
Original post by realistpotato
my mum is a construction worker if that contributes to anything.

Not really, no. If you asked her I imagine she'd agree with me that men typically have the required strength for that sort of work, and women don't. It's not me imagining these biological differences between men and women, they really do exist.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending