What medication to take for depression? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Also what age am I allowed to buy them please?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Ask you GP, you cant 'buy' them as such you need a prescription. Antidepressants arent advised for youth as they can increase suicidal thoughts however they are given out in some circumstances.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by CoolCavy)
Ask you GP, you cant 'buy' them as such you need a prescription. Antidepressants arent advised for youth as they can increase suicidal thoughts however they are given out in some circumstances.
Thank you
Respect.Global
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Like other replies, I'd highly suggest talking to your GP, they deal with depression and anxiety every day so are well versed in talking about it with you and arranging support. Now the other commenter is correct in saying that antidepressants increase suicidal ideation in young people or in general people under 35, so if you do get prescribed one, normally Prozac (Fluoxetine) if under 18, it's highly likely they will ask to see you exactly a week later to maintain or up the dosage and more importantly check on your wellbeing.

But please don't delay going to the GP. If your 16 and over, as you may know, you can go to a GP alone without anyone knowing.

Also, you can self refer yourself for counselling or other youth health services, completely confidential.

Best Wishes with your health.
Kay.becoming.kai
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You can't just go and buy them, you have to be prescribed them by a gp or psychiatrist. I'm on sertraline/Zoloft but even if you do go to a gp or psychiatrist, they most likely won't prescribe them straight away, especially when you're under 18. I got prescribed them even though I'm under 18 because nothing else was working. I hope you get the help you need 🖤
Last edited by Kay.becoming.kai; 6 days ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Respect.Global)
Like other replies, I'd highly suggest talking to your GP, they deal with depression and anxiety every day so are well versed in talking about it with you and arranging support. Now the other commenter is correct in saying that antidepressants increase suicidal ideation in young people or in general people under 35, so if you do get prescribed one, normally Prozac (Fluoxetine) if under 18, it's highly likely they will ask to see you exactly a week later to maintain or up the dosage and more importantly check on your wellbeing.

But please don't delay going to the GP. If your 16 and over, as you may know, you can go to a GP alone without anyone knowing.

Also, you can self refer yourself for counselling or other youth health services, completely confidential.

Best Wishes with your health.
Thank you so much, I don't have the courage to go to the GP but hopefully I do in the future.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by Kay.becoming.kai)
You can't just go and buy them, you have to be prescribed them by a gp or psychiatrist. I'm on sertraline/Zoloft but even if you do go to a gp or psychiatrist, they most likely won't prescribe them straight away, especially when you're under 18. I got prescribed them even though I'm under 18 because nothing else was working. I hope you get the help you need 🖤
Thank you for your response
Kay.becoming.kai
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thank you for your response
That's ok I do really hope you find a way to get help. And I know it's really scary to ask because I actually couldn't ask. A teacher at my school noticed and got me help. Try start off talking to someone you trust and hopefully you can build up 🖤
NoTearsLeftToCry
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
i take setraline. you have to ask your gp but be prepared to tell your life story
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%