I need help with my workout routine!!! Watch

heckinbamboozled
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Ok, I am a 16 year old girl for context and am looking to drop my body fat percentage as I have recently had it remeasured and it has increased 10% since February, when my exam season began to kick in (ew exams)!
So at the moment I am doing Les Mills BODYPUMP 4 times a week. For those of you that don't know what that is, it is a very high rep (like 800+, I know, madness) and low weight class that targets your whole body. And then I also do cardio 2 times a week - running, rowing, cycling, HIIT.
I have started off with BODYPUMP as I think it will give me a good foundation of strength and stamina before I enter the gym floor and start doing resistance training with much higher weights. However, I am finding myself realising that just going right into lifting a bit heavier is probably more ideal for me as I am just trying to get as strong as I reasonably can.
I am just looking for some advice from those of you that are more experienced gym goers
Last edited by heckinbamboozled; 1 week ago
LG as you were x
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by LG as you were x; 1 week ago
heckinbamboozled
Rep:
?
(Original post by LG as you were x)
If your goal is to drop body fat then up the heavy weight training, and keep cardio to around 3 times per week.

However, nutrition is everything. You can’t drop any weight with a poor diet. I’m not 100% on girls calories but the advice is around 300-500 caloric deficit each day. Also, be sure to eat the right amount of protein to maintain muscle mass, (don’t know what it is for gurus but for lads it’s around 1g per pound you weigh).
ahhh okok, thank you! I would like to think that I am pretty on top of my nutrition, but think I will up my protein intake a bit.
Do you have any suggestion as to what I should start with in terms of weight training?
LG as you were x
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Depends what kind of workout you want to do. I would say that if you want to build some muscle as well then aim to work each muscle twice a week. I wouldn’t get too intense too soon if you’re new though, so to begin with I’d start off with each muscle group once a week. The general muscles that train well together are triceps and chest; biceps and back; and legs and shoulders (can do shoulders on the other days but I do it on legs to save time).

I’d recommend watching athlene x on YouTube for good advice
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
heckinbamboozled
Rep:
?
(Original post by LG as you were x)
Depends what kind of workout you want to do. I would say that if you want to build some muscle as well then aim to work each muscle twice a week. I wouldn’t get too intense too soon if you’re new though, so to begin with I’d start off with each muscle group once a week. The general muscles that train well together are triceps and chest; biceps and back; and legs and shoulders (can do shoulders on the other days but I do it on legs to save time).

I’d recommend watching athlene x on YouTube for good advice
i'll go and check that out now! thank you!!
StephRadriguez
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
It seems like you've got a great workout routine that works well for you, which is the most important part of finding a routine. However, you didn't mention anything about your diet, which is the only thing that really matters when trying to lose weight. You can exercise as much as you want, but if you're not eating right then you won't lose any weight/fat. Just like you found an exercise program that works for you, you need to find a diet that works as well.

I've found that following a CICO diet where you put your body in a caloric deficit is the most effective way to lose weight. To put your body in a caloric deficit, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. Use an app like Lose It or My Fitness Pal to figure out how many calories to eat and track the food you eat. Here are a few tips that you can also use to speed up the process: https://www.openfit.com/eat-way-great-abs-7-tips
sknudson
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
BodyPump is a good way to learn the bare basics of form provided you've had a decent instructor spot any mistakes and correct you. If you've been left to your own devices for however long you've been doing it 4x a week, then you've very likely learned a few bad techniques along the way that will be problematic when it comes to lifting on your own in the beginning: activating the wrong muscles, the wrong drive angles/drive stance, and setting yourself up for a catastrophic injury with the sudden overload. I've done Pump a few times myself through the years and while it's good for what it is, I went in with prior lifting knowledge and couldn't undo bodybuilding form to keep up with the speed of the class. I'm sure it's going to hugely affect a lot of converts going the other way. Both powerlifting and bodybuilding are hugely dependent on controlled movements, which you rarely see to any good level in a Pump class in order to keep up with a five minute bicep track etc.

You'd be wise to throttle yourself and keep things generally close to your class weight in the beginning. You'd also be wise to limit yourself to machines for form correction and safer movements. Once you're confidently hitting the target muscle groups you're after in a controlled way, then start working your way up while maintaining decent form. A PT for a few weeks would also be a good call.

Maintain your class presence for cardio options. BodyAttack is my favourite and is well-worth adding to your mix if it's available at your place. I've been dabbling in RPM and The Trip as well.

Drop your calories from carbs to drop the BF%. Some literature for you: https://uk.atkins.com/static/default...ood%20List.pdf
heckinbamboozled
Rep:
?
(Original post by StephRadriguez)
It seems like you've got a great workout routine that works well for you, which is the most important part of finding a routine. However, you didn't mention anything about your diet, which is the only thing that really matters when trying to lose weight. You can exercise as much as you want, but if you're not eating right then you won't lose any weight/fat. Just like you found an exercise program that works for you, you need to find a diet that works as well.

I've found that following a CICO diet where you put your body in a caloric deficit is the most effective way to lose weight. To put your body in a caloric deficit, you need to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day. Use an app like Lose It or My Fitness Pal to figure out how many calories to eat and track the food you eat. Here are a few tips that you can also use to speed up the process: https://www.openfit.com/eat-way-great-abs-7-tips
I think I am eating honestly quite healthy. In my day to day diet I only dropped my caloric intake (from food obviously ahaha) by 100 calories as I am already burning anywhere form 400-600 calories daily. I'll put below what I normally eat for my meals, could you maybe help me alter them if need be??

Breakfast - porridge made with almond milk. I'll add chia seeds, hemp seed hearts, a serving of some sort of fruit (berries or a banana) and a tsp of Nutella because I need to curb my chocolate craving for the day hehe

Lunch - some form of protein (eggs, chicken, prawns normally) and then quite a lot of veggies to bulk out the meal and if I am really hungry I'll have some rice too.

Dinner - whatever my mum cooked because I don't want to bother her by asking for her to make me something else or by being in her way in the kitchen when she's trying to make everyone else dinner. Usually she cooks rather healthy stuff so ik whatever I am eating is good for me

Snacks - on days that I lift quite heavy, so normally leg days, my brother will make me a protein shake as he says the extra protein will help my muscles recover better, idk

anyways, thank you for the help!!
Amon-ster
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go on a daily calorie intake calculator to find your daily needs
If you want to bulk add 500 calories on to it
If you want to cut deduct 500 calories

You need atleast 1.5g protein per kg of bodyweight
30% protein 20% fat 50% carbs
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%