The Student Room Group

A Levels help? - No idea what career path I want

Hi all, sorry this is a long one-

For the longest time I've been unsure of what A level options to choose as I don't know what would benefit my future the most.
The 5 A levels I have in mind are Art Philosophy, Psychology, Eng Lit and Biology.
I'm a very creative person and very inclined towards creative subjects such as art and english, but I'm afraid the art industry in the UK is poor in the fields I'm keen on (illustration, graphic novels etc). I have an interest in psychology but having no experience in the subject I'm not sure if I'd find it as engaging or fulfilling as something like english or art, however a future in that kind of career seems more stable and lucrative than a creative one.

I've always considered psychology my best shot at a steady career, and taking Eng Lit/Psychology/Biology would give me the best chance (with eng lit as a sort of comfort zone/safety net).
The alternate path would be to take something more like philosophy/art/eng lit, but I'm aware that these are soft subjects and I'd have little to fall back on if something were to work out wrong.

I'm heavily considering taking Eng Lit, Psychology and Philosophy but I don't know if that's a weak trio, especially if I wanted to continue studying psychology. However, swapping philosophy for biology would feel like locking myself into a career path I'm still unsure about.

Btw I'm predicted 7-9 in everything, but my strongest subject at gcse was English.
Again, sorry for the length. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by vespo
Hi all, sorry this is a long one-

For the longest time I've been unsure of what A level options to choose as I don't know what would benefit my future the most.
The 5 A levels I have in mind are Art Philosophy, Psychology, Eng Lit and Biology.
I'm a very creative person and very inclined towards creative subjects such as art and english, but I'm afraid the art industry in the UK is poor in the fields I'm keen on (illustration, graphic novels etc). I have an interest in psychology but having no experience in the subject I'm not sure if I'd find it as engaging or fulfilling as something like english or art, however a future in that kind of career seems more stable and lucrative than a creative one.

I've always considered psychology my best shot at a steady career, and taking Eng Lit/Psychology/Biology would give me the best chance (with eng lit as a sort of comfort zone/safety net).
The alternate path would be to take something more like philosophy/art/eng lit, but I'm aware that these are soft subjects and I'd have little to fall back on if something were to work out wrong.

I'm heavily considering taking Eng Lit, Psychology and Philosophy but I don't know if that's a weak trio, especially if I wanted to continue studying psychology. However, swapping philosophy for biology would feel like locking myself into a career path I'm still unsure about.

Btw I'm predicted 7-9 in everything, but my strongest subject at gcse was English.
Again, sorry for the length. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

All your options look fine. How good are you at maths? Thats always worth a second thought.

One thing you should check is your assumption that psychology would give a good chance of a stable career. While its a great general degree to take getting a job as a psychologist is a notoriously tough route to take - please read some of the threads on here of people who have gone through that route.
all those subjects let you do the majority of courses anyways so even if you don’t know what you want to do now then those subjects won’t hold you back when you do decide what you want to do, I’d recommend doing a science (bio/psych) if you think there’s even a tiny possibility of you pursuing a career in that field as it’ll make it easier and pick art if it’ll make you happier

Quick Reply

Latest