asdfghjkl123456789
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
is muscular contraction a "cellular process". is there any justification in saying this?
if not, what, apart from protein synthesis and photosynthesis, is a cellular process
ixivxivi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do biochem, so anything over the level of cell-sized I'm useless with, so I'll just go for your easy second question :p:
Cellular processes: transcription, translation (arguable fit under heading of prot synthesis), DNA replication, glycolysis, gluconeogenesis, Kreb's cycle, amino acid biosynthesis and breakdown, fatty acid metabolism, post-translational RNA modification, protein modification...And generally everything I'm set to do for the next 3 years - there's an awful lot :p:
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
It's mechanical work.
ixivxivi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by shootbangfire)
It's mechanical work.
What d'you mean by this? That it involves movement? So do lots of enzymes/signalling pathways etc.
To the orignal Q, I think it involves lots of cells in the muscle tissue working concertedly together to give macro movement of the muscle, but as I say, I don't do over the cell sized level. Mebbe I'll go on a google
shootbangfire
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, it's mechanical work on a macro scale, as opposed to movement within cells.
ixivxivi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
But how do you get big scale movement without mini-scale movement with the cells? As I say, I'm ignorant on the matter, but it'd seem odd...
ixivxivi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ooh, I'd come across this before, but forgot: muscle fibers are made up of fused together cells, so have many nuclei and such. How exciting . Then if they're not proper cells, mebbe it can't be described as a cellular proc
asdfghjkl123456789
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
so confusing. if there is a biological term like "cellular process", it needs to be defined more clearly.
looking up cellular and process:
cellular-relating to the cells of animals or plants
process-method of doing or producing something.

combing these - a method, relating to cells, of doing or producing something.

given the looseness of this definition, muscular contraction could be considered a cellular process- it is a method of causing the body to move (a method of doing something) which relates to cells(the muscle fibers are made up of fused together cells)
no?
ixivxivi
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by hellohellohellohello)
so confusing. if there is a biological term like "cellular process", it needs to be defined more clearly.
looking up cellular and process:
cellular-relating to the cells of animals or plants
process-method of doing or producing something.

combing these - a method, relating to cells, of doing or producing something.

given the looseness of this definition, muscular contraction could be considered a cellular process- it is a method of causing the body to move (a method of doing something) which relates to cells(the muscle fibers are made up of fused together cells)
no?
It can really be defined as anything to do with cells, which isn't that confusing :p: hence a great deal of biology (actually, apart from viruses, I can't think of any that doesn't really start at a cell) comes at basics from cellular processes
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (23)
6.73%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.65%
I don't think they'd understand (52)
15.2%
It might lead to more bullying (132)
38.6%
There's nothing they could do (102)
29.82%

Watched Threads