How will a gap year affect my mental health? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I am currently in my last year of high school and considering the idea of a gap year as I don’t feel mentally prepared for university. My main concern is that I don’t cope well without my friends around, I am a people person and don’t cope well on my own. This is something I hope to fix in my gap year but I am worried that no matter how busy I keep myself it will only do more damage than good.
Manzone21
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’m not the best on these topics because I went into the military but from what I’ve always been told by friends and family is this. Unless you are unsure of what you want to do and need to find that you shouldn’t take a gap year, it’ll only make it harder for you when you finally do decide to go back, not just on your education but the thought of going to school itself, if you are worried about friends and say you are a social person I honestly don’t think you’d have any trouble with making new friends. Universities are a great place to make NEW friends and probably BETTER friends that you grew up...it’s a place where you’d make TRUE, HONEST friends that would be there for you and could become your best friends! Obviously stay in touch with your old ones and make plans but don’t do a gap year only for that reason...are your friends doing a gap year also? Are your friends just as worried about it also? Those are some stuff to ask either them or yourself because going to a university should be a memorable moment and can’t be taken lightly as it will shape your path...

(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I am currently in my last year of high school and considering the idea of a gap year as I don’t feel mentally prepared for university. My main concern is that I don’t cope well without my friends around, I am a people person and don’t cope well on my own. This is something I hope to fix in my gap year but I am worried that no matter how busy I keep myself it will only do more damage than good.
marinade
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The truth is no one really knows. For some people it turns out gap years are a good idea, for others it turns out a bad idea and there isn't really a way of telling.

Feeling prepared is a feeling. It may reflect reality or it may not at all. You could be very well prepared and yet feel unprepared.

Some would say not feeling fully mentally prepared for university is normal. It is a big life change, but one that is manageable with support networks designed to make it so at the university.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I think it really depends, if you know the course you want to do and the uni you want to go to - why not go this year? However if you are just doing it for the sake of going to uni, then I would take a gap year so that you can fully decide on everything.

I have selective mutism and my mum thinks it would be a good idea for me to take a gap year so I can try and get it sorted, but I know that if I took a year out from education I wouldnt go back. I think it all depends on your own personal view. If you really want to go to uni but you just can't decide when there is no harm in applying this year, just so you have the choice - it's better to apply and not go then not apply but decide that you really want to go.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 hours ago
I’ll give some more detail

I would be 17 for the first 6 months of university, and I’ve been told that not being able to go out makes it much harder, especially if you can’t find an ID to borrow.

Also during my gap year I would do higher psychology at college, to keep my studying steady and also give me a head start for when I do start my ideal course (Music with psychology)

My exam results this year were lower than expected and I just feel drained by the education system at this point, I always work hard and for the first time I’m starting to lose the motivation to keep trying.

I’m seriously stuck in a rut, thanks for all your comments, they keep my brain ticking over.
Anonymous #3
Report 6 hours ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’ll give some more detail

I would be 17 for the first 6 months of university, and I’ve been told that not being able to go out makes it much harder, especially if you can’t find an ID to borrow.

Also during my gap year I would do higher psychology at college, to keep my studying steady and also give me a head start for when I do start my ideal course (Music with psychology)

My exam results this year were lower than expected and I just feel drained by the education system at this point, I always work hard and for the first time I’m starting to lose the motivation to keep trying.

I’m seriously stuck in a rut, thanks for all your comments, they keep my brain ticking over.
Based on what you said I would 100% recommend a gap year! I took one & it was hands down the best decision I could have made! I’m a people person like you but my gao year taught me that I’m actually okay on my own! Obviously it depends on what type of uni you go to but not being able to go out could make it very difficult to make Friends and feel included as in most unis night clubbing is one of the main social activities! Think it through but based off my experience & you sound very similar to me I would recommenced!!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
16.83%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.36%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (43)
21.29%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (74)
36.63%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (11)
5.45%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.45%