Suggest a career Watch

Lostx
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I don’t cope well when under stress or exams. Can someone please help me by suggesting some good careers I could look into.
My interests are: animals, art, helping the elderly and cooking/baking.
ajj2000
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What qualifications do you have at the moment/ are you taking at the moment? What grades?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
I don’t cope well when under stress or exams...
Oh wow, I don't know why you wanted to do Medicine previously if you don't cope well with stress or exams - because that's literally what you'll have in a career of Medicine.

Working in a zoo? Being a carer? Becoming a cook?

The thing is - a lot of careers will require you to take at least one exam. No job worthwhile doing is entirely stress-free.
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
What qualifications do you have at the moment/ are you taking at the moment? What grades?
GCSE: A*A*A* AAAAAAAA B

A-levels: ABC
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
Oh wow, I don't know why you wanted to do Medicine previously if you don't cope well with stress or exams - because that's literally what you'll have in a career of Medicine.

The thing is - a lot of careers will require you to take at least one exam. No job worthwhile doing is entirely stress-free.
Sorry

I didn’t think into the career too much. It all seemed a dream which will never become a reality.
Last edited by Lostx; 1 week ago
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
Sorry
Don't be. Asking on here is a very good first step.

Have you had any experience in any careers? Do you see yourself being a carer / cook / working in a zoo?
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
GCSE: A*A*A* AAAAAAAA B

A-levels: ABC
Cool - you have loads of options.How much do you struggle with exams? Is it something you have sought help with? Its always best to try to overcome problems first - and if it doesn't work look for other options. What were your A levels in?

Maybe consider doing a cooking course and earning some money while you discover what suits you? I guess phsiotherapy/ radiography might be interesting to investigate further?
Lostx
Rep:
?

I was under the illusion that there were not many exams once qualified (by qualified i mean consultant level).

I am aware that there are numerous exams at university. As a consequence i have stopped pursuing a career as a doctor.

I think I would prefer to live in the Amazon Rainforest in a little hut
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
I was under the illusion that there were not many exams once qualified (by qualified i mean consultant level).
You are right, there are not a lot as a consultant, but there are plenty of tough exams before you get there! Even as a cons you'd be expected to constantly update your knowledge though because Medicine is constantly evolving.

Post-grad medical exams are notoriously hard, expensive and not designed for people to pass! There is also a limit of taking it < 6 times, and if you failed > 6 times you are not allowed to take it any more.

I am aware that there are numerous exams at university. As a consequence i have stopped pursuing a career as a doctor.
The med school exams, on the other hand, are designed for students to pass. After all, it is in the med schools' and the government's interest that all 1st year med students become FY1 doctors!* There is plenty of support mechanisms in place and (relatively) long study leave before exams. Contrast that to the stigmatised deanery support for doctors, very limited study leave and the fact that if you're on-call on the date of the post-grad exam you'd have to swap yourself out of it!

*Note this is not the case in many European countries, where they will literally take anyone and use the med school years to weed out those who cannot cope. In some French institutions apparently the rate of people going from 1st year to an actual doctor is as low as 20%!

I think I would prefer to live in the Amazon Rainforest in a little hut
That sounds like an excellent way to spend time
Last edited by ecolier; 1 week ago
RomainNeedsHelp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Various zoology related careers and career paths as well as social care
Lostx
Rep:
?
Don't be. Asking on here is a very good first step.

Have you had any experience in any careers? Do you see yourself being a carer / cook / working in a zoo?
I have volunteered in a residential home, which I loved. Would love to cook but working in kitchens is very stressful too. Have considered working in a zoo and have been playing with the idea of becoming a veterinary nurse. However, I am not certain with the number of exams for this.
ecolier
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
I have volunteered in a residential home, which I loved. Would love to cook but working in kitchens is very stressful too. Have considered working in a zoo and have been playing with the idea of becoming a veterinary nurse. However, I am not certain with the number of exams for this.
I would imagine that a vet nurse would have to take a few exams. I also doubt that there is no stress in such a career.

Remember what I said - no career worthwhile doing is stress-free.

Good luck
Lostx
Rep:
?
(Original post by ajj2000)
Cool - you have loads of options.How much do you struggle with exams? Is it something you have sought help with? Its always best to try to overcome problems first - and if it doesn't work look for other options. What were your A levels in?

Maybe consider doing a cooking course and earning some money while you discover what suits you? I guess phsiotherapy/ radiography might be interesting to investigate further?
My A-levels were in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Maybe, although i don’t fancy looking at screens all day, I will look into physiotherapy.
ajj2000
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
My A-levels were in Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Maybe, although i don’t fancy looking at screens all day, I will look into physiotherapy.
You have lot of choices. Podiatry?
tacobeth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
if you don’t cope well during exams you could try a BTEC, they have animal care and medical science so you could be a doctor through that or work with animals, or do health and social care
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Iamthebesr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
This sounds random but maybe a nurse vet or someone who works in a retirement home or even just a nurse.
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Lostx)
I don’t cope well when under stress or exams. Can someone please help me by suggesting some good careers I could look into.
My interests are: animals, art, helping the elderly and cooking/baking.
art therapist?

marketing?

working at a mobility startup?
Iamthebesr
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You can even be a designer or engineer for elder people chairs and products or like create animal products for people to use on their pets. Are you creative in terms of manufacturing products either way if you are passionate about helping them and you are a creative person then this job might be for you. 😊
Lostx
Rep:
?
Maybe I should face paint the elderly in a residential home with an animal theme, and bake pretty cupcakes to pass the time.

At least this way all the career attributes are met.
Last edited by Lostx; 1 week ago
rjckk
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I advised you to help suicidal girls as career via PM
Have you read it?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.77%
Excited (150)
8.99%
Worried (302)
18.11%
Terrified (374)
22.42%
Meh (153)
9.17%
Confused (36)
2.16%