What does it really mean to be mentally unwell/ill? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have a mental illness diagnosis and wonder to myself what it truly means. Does it mean I am weaker than most people? Does it mean that I am emotionally sensitive? I wake up everyday with this diagnosis and wonder what on earth it is all about. Would anyone care to share their views?
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Of course it doesnt mean you are weaker. You are just neurodivergent. MI is classified as a longstanding condition that has a significant impact on your day to day life. If you dont fully understand your diagnosis or what it entails then you need to ask the person who diagnosed you for clarification, there's also lots of information on MIND and the NHS website.
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I have a mental illness diagnosis and wonder to myself what it truly means. Does it mean I am weaker than most people? Does it mean that I am emotionally sensitive? I wake up everyday with this diagnosis and wonder what on earth it is all about. Would anyone care to share their views?
As you said, it's an illness. There is a lot of stigma attached to mental health problems, but really, they are illnesses just like any other physical illness, they just affect your brain and mind instead of some other part of your body. With the right treatment, it can improve, just like other illnesses. There can be periods where it is better or worse, like other illnesses. Some people are more predisposed to certain mental health conditions, just as some people are more predisposed to certain physical illnesses, like diabetes or heart conditions.

The only way mental health problems are different is the stigma attached to them.
Phoenixfeather99
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
YOU ARE NOT WEAK!!!!!! Everyday you are battling an invisible illness. You are so strong. Everyday you make it through. That’s a 100% success rate. Don’t ever view yourself as weak or emotionally sensitive. You are struggling and that’s OK! Know when to reach out and ask for help, and if you need a day in bed, take it. The world won’t end.

I just want you to know that I’m proud of you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.67%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.75%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (44)
20.28%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.25%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.53%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.53%