username4903642
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I took 2 AS levels this year in Biology and Chemistry along with an EPQ.
I also did a Psychology PPE exam, in which I got an A*. (I'm super proud of that BTW)
Psychology's what I really want to do at university, I absolutely love it.. HOWEVER.
I think I'm going to have to retake the year for my own benefit because of how awfully Bio and Chem went..

I might actually look at my Year 12 results on Thursday and see A*EE with an A/A* in EPQ which doesn't really put me in a great position. I haven't enjoyed the science subjects this year which is really disappointing as I originally planned on pursuing a Neuroscience route. If I do resit the year, I'd have to move from my sixth form to college because the courses I'd do aren't offered here.

Current Options: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
Likely Options (if year is retaken): Psychology, Sociology, Level 3 Criminology (because I did well at GCSE, I'd be eligible for a 4th option at college which, if taken, I'd either do Law, Economics or Level 3 Music Performance)

The dilemma is that I don't think the sixth form would want me to leave, but if I'm getting results like that, potentially Es/Us (maximum Ds) in subjects I don't like then I don't feel like pursuing the courses would put me in a good position moving onto A2 - if the results carried forward into A2, I'd have to retake my A-Levels altogether or do a foundation year at university, which I don't want to do. I really enjoy Psychology and don't want to resit the year because I did so well and the A2 content looks super interesting.

Would universities look at the fact that I've resat Year 12 in a bad light? My current outcomes would put me around 120-124 UCAS points if I got these same results with the EPQ added which isn't bad if I applied to unis that asked for the tariff points instead of specific grades (since I want to do Psychology, there's not a specific set of A-Levels that I have to do). Do I leave my sixth form to change subjects or do I stay on the courses?

Sorry about the long thread, I'm just really panicking. (Good luck to everyone else getting their AS/A2 results on Aug 15th and anyone getting their GCSE results on Aug 22nd, by the way!)
teilchen
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by psychstudent1209)
So I took 2 AS levels this year in Biology and Chemistry along with an EPQ.
I also did a Psychology PPE exam, in which I got an A*. (I'm super proud of that BTW)
Psychology's what I really want to do at university, I absolutely love it.. HOWEVER.
I think I'm going to have to retake the year for my own benefit because of how awfully Bio and Chem went..

I might actually look at my Year 12 results on Thursday and see A*EE with an A/A* in EPQ which doesn't really put me in a great position. I haven't enjoyed the science subjects this year which is really disappointing as I originally planned on pursuing a Neuroscience route. If I do resit the year, I'd have to move from my sixth form to college because the courses I'd do aren't offered here.

Current Options: Biology, Chemistry, Psychology
Likely Options (if year is retaken): Psychology, Sociology, Level 3 Criminology (because I did well at GCSE, I'd be eligible for a 4th option at college which, if taken, I'd either do Law, Economics or Level 3 Music Performance)

The dilemma is that I don't think the sixth form would want me to leave, but if I'm getting results like that, potentially Es/Us (maximum Ds) in subjects I don't like then I don't feel like pursuing the courses would put me in a good position moving onto A2 - if the results carried forward into A2, I'd have to retake my A-Levels altogether or do a foundation year at university, which I don't want to do. I really enjoy Psychology and don't want to resit the year because I did so well and the A2 content looks super interesting.

Would universities look at the fact that I've resat Year 12 in a bad light? My current outcomes would put me around 120-124 UCAS points if I got these same results with the EPQ added which isn't bad if I applied to unis that asked for the tariff points instead of specific grades (since I want to do Psychology, there's not a specific set of A-Levels that I have to do). Do I leave my sixth form to change subjects or do I stay on the courses?

Sorry about the long thread, I'm just really panicking. (Good luck to everyone else getting their AS/A2 results on Aug 15th and anyone getting their GCSE results on Aug 22nd, by the way!)
If you can get into the course you want I wouldn't see how its a problem to stay also many people improve from AS I got a D in my end of year physics in year 12 but my teacher says I am still predicted to get a B because in science subjects most people tend to improve a lot, maybe ask your teacher and see if its possible to improve? But if you want to move Universities wont take that into consideration they just look at your PS and predicted grades not what age you are or what age you took your alevels so if you think restarting is the right move for you their it wont set you back
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (438)
56.3%
I don't have everything I need (340)
43.7%

Watched Threads