Bleeding with retainers? Take them off? Watch

mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
So about 3/4 days ago (Wednesday) I got some restorative work done on my upper teeth and because I took off my braces last year and I wear a retainer every night, I had to get new impressions taken straight after. The thing is my teeth still move during the day, like a substantial amount and by the time I received my new retainer 2 days later (Friday) my teeth had moved alot, like my gap tooth came back. I was expecting this but the thing is I couldn't get my new retainers on past my gums. It hurt so bad but I forced it in and death with the pain thinking they just needed to move back and it will get easier like last time I had them fitted. But the next morning I couldn't get them off and I had to force them off with the end of a fork! My gums had an imprint from where the edge of the retainer was and they were so red and irritated. Now this is my second night wearing them and as soon as I put them in my gums at the front started bleeding. The pressure isn't as bad as last night (they turned white then), but the irritation is still there. Should I keep wearing them and hope it settles? It's the weekend so I have to wait till Monday to phone up my dentist but I don't want to take them out now and then struggle even more to out them on again on Monday if he says it's actually fine. But I also hate the thought of having to put them on and take them out. Like the only reason I haven't taken them off yet, even when my gums are so sore, is because it's a pain to take them off, they're just so tight.

Does anyone know what to do?

Also I'm really scared of gum recession, would this make it worse? I'm just at a loss of what to do?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Kathy89
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Go back to your orthodontist.
I had retainer and had to wear it a few days straight when was fitted just so the teeth and gums will get used to it later could wear it only at night.

They'll probably a just it a bit more and maybe you will have to wear it a few days straight. Don't worry to much about it, just visit the doctor as soon as possible and get it fixed. explain to the doctor exactly what happened, it will help finding the best solution.
mediclyfe
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Kathy89)
Go back to your orthodontist.
I had retainer and had to wear it a few days straight when was fitted just so the teeth and gums will get used to it later could wear it only at night.

They'll probably a just it a bit more and maybe you will have to wear it a few days straight. Don't worry to much about it, just visit the doctor as soon as possible and get it fixed. explain to the doctor exactly what happened, it will help finding the best solution.
Thanks, I'm going to see him on tomorrow but I think I'll skip wearing them tonight because when I took them off this morning my frontal gums were really irritated and cut, and one of them has slightly receeded.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%