The Student Room Group

Psychoanalytic studies - advice needed!

Hi all,
I need some advice, if you'd be so kind.

I originally applied to study Psychology at the University of Essex during clearing, however due to getting a poor GCSE grade in maths I wasn't given a place.

I left school more than 10 years ago and have a BTEC national diploma and key skills in maths, however I was not granted a place on the course.
Alternatively they've offered me a place on a psychosocial and psychoanalytic studies course.

I'm just looking for some advice from anyone who has studied or knows anything about this. My main concerns are about future progression and opportunities after graduating. (are the opportunities similar to psychology? )

I'm not looking to become a Psychiatrist or anything like that and probably wouldn't do any postgraduate study, unless I really want to get a career aimed at something more specific.

I'd like to work in a field which allows me to help people, either as a counselor or social worker of some kind, although I'm not certain.

I'm currently 27 years old and have spent the last 5 years traveling and living abroad, so this is a very tough decision for me to make.

Also the degree Is not accredited where as the Psychology degree Is, does this make a big difference?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
If its not accredited by the BPS it can be quite limiting i think
Reply 2
Oh really, mmmmm. So I should try to find an accredited degree maybe? 🤔

Quick Reply

Latest