Should we rank universities by average IQ?

Watch
OhGod
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I just had an idea.

What if we ranked universities by the average IQ of students? Say we take 100 average students from a wide range of subjects from each university then make them do an IQ test and then rank them.

Only then will we truly know which universities are ‘better’ than others.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Iq is ridiculously subjective and many people could score well in one test and not another, I went to a very low ranked uni because my a levels went very badly but my IQ is between 90 and 120 in different sections of testing because I have dyslexia so I d be a certain anamoly and considering the percentage of the population in similar situations it d give you as bad or worse ranking system as people use now.

(Original post by OhGod)
I just had an idea.

What if we ranked universities by the average IQ of students? Say we take 100 average students from a wide range of subjects from each university then make them do an IQ test and then rank them.

username1208193
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
No.
PrettymuchGod
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
LOL this is so dumb
yaboy75
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Probably be better than the current rankings
ThomH97
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Your degree is most useful for employers to determine how hard you are willing to work, not your intelligence (though obviously a minimum standard is desired). If an employer valued IQ, it would be pretty easy for them to include one in their recruitment process.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by claireestelle)
Iq is ridiculously subjective and many people could score well in one test and not another, I went to a very low ranked uni because my a levels went very badly but my IQ is between 90 and 120 in different sections of testing because I have dyslexia so I d be a certain anamoly and considering the percentage of the population in similar situations it d give you as bad or worse ranking system as people use now.
As someone who tests people's IQ, the tests are pretty standardised and a full IQ test will take into account a wide range of measures to eliminate issues of performance discrepancies. Such tests also take into account learning difficulties when assessing IQ :fyi:
J Papi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Peak TSR
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
As someone who tests people's IQ, the tests are pretty standardised and a full IQ test will take into account a wide range of measures to eliminate issues of performance discrepancies. Such tests also take into account learning difficulties when assessing IQ :fyi:
oh i see, one of my indexes was 88th percentile but the other three in the wais test are 23-30th percentile so averaging them out gives me a lower score with my weaknesses so it's not an average they use for overall iq?
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Won't it just be, given it is purely speculative, low ranked unis have lower IQs? Might as well just go by low ranked.
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
oh i see, one of my indexes was 88th percentile but the other three in the wais test are 23-30th percentile so averaging them out gives me a lower score with my weaknesses so it's not an average they use for overall iq?
Full-scale IQ by the WAIS is a composite of many measures, so yes essentially an average. I am only a newbie in training so I may be wrong, but I believe a number of different sub tests can be done in place of others when there is a question of learning difficulties to avoid issues of differential markers being 88th percentile on one and 23-30th on the other as you mentioned!
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Full-scale IQ by the WAIS is a composite of many measures, so yes essentially an average. I am only a newbie in training so I may be wrong, but I believe a number of different sub tests can be done in place of others when there is a question of learning difficulties to avoid issues of differential markers being 88th percentile on one and 23-30th on the other as you mentioned!
thank you that's enlightening are you training to be an educational psychologist or other type of psychologist?
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
thank you that's enlightening are you training to be an educational psychologist or other type of psychologist?
I'm doing a PhD in cognitive psychology, hoping to be a research psychologist!
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm doing a PhD in cognitive psychology, hoping to be a research psychologist!
best of luck with it
Yourmainmancj
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Mid Russel groups= 130+ IQ, Essex= 100 IQ, Sussex = 117- 125 IQ, Hertfordshire= 95 IQ, Oxbridge/High Russel group= 140+
Noodlzzz
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Yourmainmancj)
Mid Russel groups= 130+ IQ, Essex= 100 IQ, Sussex = 117- 125 IQ, Hertfordshire= 95 IQ, Oxbridge/High Russel group= 140+
And your references are?...
Yourmainmancj
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
And your references are?...
You seem a bit triggered, you look like a low IQ individual.
GreenCub
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
IQ is a very specific measure of 'intelligence' and a single test like that only measures certain skills. There are certainly many very academically strong students who may not score very highly on an IQ test and vice versa.
mgi
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OhGod)
I just had an idea.

Utter nonsense. I thought that everyone had finally recognised how outmoded and discredited the IQ test is.
Zoqua
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by OhGod)
I just had an idea.

This is not a great idea. You clearly do not actually understand what IQ is.... IQ is a very, very far from 100% accurate way of measuring intelligence. IQ tests only measure certain skills, and are known to have many other factors influence them besides so called 'natural intelligence'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (25)
18.25%
I'm not sure (3)
2.19%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (45)
32.85%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.19%
I'm not a current university student (61)
44.53%

Watched Threads