The Student Room Group

Should we rank universities by average IQ?

Scroll to see replies

Doing it by subject doesn't make sense cos of entry requirements and also RG doesn't mean anything because theres unis who allow people in with BBC in RG
the top unis (1) won't let anybody in with no A's in their a levels

i think it would probably go something like this;
1) oxbridge, lse, ucl, imperial
2) mid RG
3) lower RG
4) good non RG
5) everything else

overall iq isn't perfect the tests online are really fake lol
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by hibr1
Doing it by subject doesn't make sense cos of entry requirements and also RG doesn't mean anything because theres unis who allow people in with BBC in RG
the top unis (1) won't let anybody in with no A's in their a levels

i think it would probably go something like this;
1) oxbridge, lse, ucl, imperial
2) mid RG
3) lower RG
4) good non RG
5) everything else

overall iq isn't perfect the tests online are really fake lol

Overlooks the fact academic achievement is based on work ethic, quality of education provided, and the support/encouragement available to students from friends and family. It is not based mainly or perhaps even significantly on IQ.
Original post by Notoriety
Overlooks the fact academic achievement is based on work ethic, quality of education provided, and the support/encouragement available to students from friends and family. It is not based mainly or perhaps even significantly on IQ.

true but i think this if you were to base it on universities it would roughly be like that. my parents are divorced and i didn't have much support from either yet i still managed to get A*AA (waiting for my A to go to an A* remark 1 mark off) simply because of hard work but i don't know how much of that hard work is due to my "iq" if that makes sense.

overall i think iq is pretty stupid but it wouldnt be surprised if people who attend oxbridge, lse, ucl and imperial had the highest iqs on average simply because most of them achieve A/A*s in their a levels if you request this data even if lse & ucl have AAB courses students often score A's/A*s regardless
Original post by OhGod
I just had an idea.

What if we ranked universities by the average IQ of students? Say we take 100 average students from a wide range of subjects from each university then make them do an IQ test and then rank them.

Only then will we truly know which universities are ‘better’ than others.

I mean.. that's pretty stupid.

But I do agree with you on two things: 1) That the current system of either just going by league tables/"prestige" (as TSR does) or just assuming all 1sts and 2.1s are equivalent (as most employers do) is utterly absurd and 2) That a standardised test might be the best way to solve this.

Personally I am in favour of university 1st years culminating in a nationally set, subject-specific exam, and universities being both ranked by, and the degrees they can award be dependent on, the result.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending