michaelnicholson88
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hey guys, I really need some help. I've got a group of 10 international students, all from different places and different linguistic backgrounds, and I really need an icebreaker to make sure they mix. They're here to learn English and have some basic ability, but not very much.
MSB
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Table tennis solves everything.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Something we did at university that might possibly work would be 'human bingo'?
You have a card with 12 squares, labelled with things such as 'blue eyes', 'can ride a bike', 'is 21 years old'; and you let people go around and find which of the other people fits, and write their name down (without asking the same person two questions straight after one another).
The first person to return with all of their squares filled in wins a small prize.
Doesn't involve a lot of talking.
Moonfield7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Do some kinda team activity....football/bowling/paintball, basically something where they have to mix/communicate/bond.....or pair them off and make them do something where at least they'll get to know someone...or just go with the flow and see what happens...
marcusfox
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Juggling balls. Stand in a circle, start with one ball. You throw the ball to a random. They catch it and say their name. Then they throw the ball to another random. And round and round it goes. Then while that's going, add another ball, throw it to the same random, who has to throw it to the same random as he did the first time. And then add the third ball. Every time they have the ball they need to say their name. I guarantee you this is great, I've used it myself.

Marcus
littlemiss-sunshine
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I know an icebreaker but I'm not sure how good it would be for people of lots of different nationalities together... everyone writes down something true about themselves on a piece of paper and something they've made up about themselves on another; all of the pieces of paper are folded up and put in a bowl and one person pulls them out one at a time and reads them to everyone, then everyone has to guess who wrote it and if it's true or false. I have done this as an icebreaker and it's really good but I'm not sure if it would work well in this situation or not.
mdcrisp2000
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Shot contest.
mollymustard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
Something we did at university that might possibly work would be 'human bingo'?
You have a card with 12 squares, labelled with things such as 'blue eyes', 'can ride a bike', 'is 21 years old'; and you let people go around and find which of the other people fits, and write their name down (without asking the same person two questions straight after one another).
The first person to return with all of their squares filled in wins a small prize.
Doesn't involve a lot of talking.
I had to do that at my Waitrose group interview...

It didnt really break the ice much to be honest, I just felt awkward
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by mollymustard)

Ah; I see.
I did it for my course rep training, and I found it to not be too bad, but it might have been that the two people running the training were walking around making it fun at the same time. I guess it depends how much is going on; I imagine it would be awkward if people were walking around asking each other questions in moderate silence. :p:
Guess it's an icebreaker that needs to be carried off properly.
Mos Def
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

LMAO i did the same thing, it just felt like a 'task' ... and everyone was dying to complete a row.
Tom4510
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
You: Ten Tonne Polar bear.

Them: What?

You: Ten tonne Polar bear!

Them: eh?

You: I dunno, but it sure broke the ice...

ahahaha... Ill get my coat.
cpj1987
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Mos Def)
LMAO i did the same thing, it just felt like a 'task' ... and everyone was dying to complete a row.
Haha. In this case, with two votes, I think we can safely say that my suggestion isn't the best one. :p:
Dream Pixy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
split the people up into two groups and give them a pile of newspaper and sellotape and do the who can build the tallest tower out of newspaper without having it topple over sounds dumb but always works or get them to make a human pyramid
mdcrisp2000
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Every time I've done something similar, I've felt awkward too. Patronised, almost.

Honestly, do something fun... table tennis sounds like a good suggestion; people can participate, watch, chat, relax, have a drink or two... enjoy themselves, basically. Keep it relaxed, don't force any activities on anybody.
Dream Pixy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
get them to draw pictures of eachother and then laugh at the pictures
Frannnnn
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Beccydoodaa
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
In my first week of college we were put in to groups and given a pile of news papers/ Our task was to create an outfit out of the newspaper using the paper, tape, scissors etc and the most creative group won a small prize. It was good fun, lots of laughs, you don't need an extended vocabulary just the baisics.

(Off topic, our group won We created a skateboarding pirate, complete with skateboard, parrot, hat and eye patch!)

We also had a sheet with small tasks we had to such as find someone else who has the same eye colour, find someone wearing red underwear etc. It was all good.
Easy E
Report 11 years ago
Strip club.
anelka9
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
long as i dont see the chinese students in harrow

*gets coat*
wizard710
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Here is one, get them to line up in order of height, alphabetical name etc then you could try doing date of birth without talking

EDIT: Twister anyone?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (102)
24%
No (323)
76%

Watched Threads