HELP: Failed second year, now what? Watch

lolaaa234
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
I don't want to waffle on too much, or make it boring, so in bullet point format:
- First year started, I just about passed (50%) and failed two modules
- Second year, once again, the same grade (50%), however, have not recieved enough credits to transition into third year.

Throughout these two years, I've been struggling a lot with anxiety and panic attacks. During the exam period of this year, my grandfather passed away which caused my mental health to worsen, so I deferred my exams. A week before my deferred exams start, my grandmother passed away which has made things a lot worse. My university doesnt allow retaking or resitting a whole year either, unfortunately.

I know I've passed 6/8 of my modules this year (which is the same as first year), but after looking into the regulations and 'development into the next year', I've realised that for me to continue to next year, I would have needed to pass 13 of my exams throughout first and second year. So, despite me averaging a 50% for both first and second year, I can't continue. Also, my university doesn't allow resitting a whole year.

I can put through a mitigating/extenuating circumstances form, but the issue is that I'm not sure if that would be approved. I had already mentioned that my grandfather had passed away to defer my exams. Even if it does get approved, it means I may or may not have to resit the failed exams next year - so a whole year goes to waste.

I don't know what I'm doing, I'm struggling a lot to be honest and it's mostly due to personal health reasons.

What are the options for me - realistically speaking?
Last edited by lolaaa234; 6 days ago
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by lolaaa234)
I don't want to waffle on too much, or make it boring, so in bullet point format:
- Second year, once again, the same grade (50%), however, have not recieved enough credits to transition into third year.

Throughout these two years, I've been struggling a lot with anxiety and panic attacks. During the exam period of this year, my grandfather passed away which caused my mental health to worsen, so I deferred my exams. A week before my deferred exams start, my grandmother passed away which has made things a lot worse.

I know I've passed 6/8 of my modules this year (which is the same as first year), but after looking into the regulations and 'development into the next year', I've realised that for me to continue to next year, I would have needed to pass 13 of my exams throughout first and second year. So, despite me averaging a 50% for both first and second year, I can't continue. Also, my university doesn't allow resitting a whole year.

I can put through a mitigating/extenuating circumstances form, but the issue is that I'm not sure if that would be approved. I had already mentioned that my grandfather had passed away to defer my exams. Even if it does get approved, it means I may or may not have to resit the failed exams next year - so a whole year goes to waste.

I don't know what I'm doing, I'm struggling a lot to be honest and it's mostly due to personal health reasons.

Have you spoken to anyone at your university about this? Your personal tutor and student support department are there for you to consult about these things.

Have you decided if you want to continue with this degree? It might be worth taking some time out for yourself, and reassess before plunging back into university.
Realitysreflexx
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You should have applied for first sits under your mental situation.

All you can do is repeat 2nd year this late in the game. Which isn't a serious issue if your committed to passing and doing well, as you have 4 years of funding you can use to get your degree.

Need to get your head around why your going to university, and start making goals for afterwards. So that your working towards something bigger.

I plan alot of stuff ahead so I'm somewhat on autopilot, but by having clear set out goals i tend to achieve them, rather than just waffling through life as i did before employing what seems like a boring and tedious strategy.
lolaaa234
Rep:
?
(Original post by PhoenixFortune)
Have you spoken to anyone at your university about this? Your personal tutor and student support department are there for you to consult about these things.

Have you decided if you want to continue with this degree? It might be worth taking some time out for yourself, and reassess before plunging back into university.
Thank you for your response.

Not yet, I will do so this Tuesday however.

I definitely do want to continue and succeed, it's just the wrong time for me and my mind set it a bit off - nonetheless, I still want to get it out of the way.
lolaaa234
Rep:
?
(Original post by Realitysreflexx)
You should have applied for first sits under your mental situation.

All you can do is repeat 2nd year this late in the game. Which isn't a serious issue if your committed to passing and doing well, as you have 4 years of funding you can use to get your degree.

Need to get your head around why your going to university, and start making goals for afterwards. So that your working towards something bigger.

I plan alot of stuff ahead so I'm somewhat on autopilot, but by having clear set out goals i tend to achieve them, rather than just waffling through life as i did before employing what seems like a boring and tedious strategy.
I applied for a deferral which meant it wouldn't be capped, but would take up one of my 'attempts'.

The thing is that my university don't allow repeating the whole year.

But yes, I agree with the planning and being serious. It's something I need to get my head around and perfect.

Thank you for responding.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Thank you for your response.

Not yet, I will do so this Tuesday however.

I definitely do want to continue and succeed, it's just the wrong time for me and my mind set it a bit off - nonetheless, I still want to get it out of the way.
If you can still perform well whilst 'getting it out of the way', then great. If you're struggling however, you don't want to fight through it only to come out with a lower degree classification than you wanted (if you'd ordinarily by capable of doing better).

Your university will be able to discuss your options with you, and tell you the consequences of each option in relation to your studies.
Realitysreflexx
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I applied for a deferral which meant it wouldn't be capped, but would take up one of my 'attempts'.

The thing is that my university don't allow repeating the whole year.

But yes, I agree with the planning and being serious. It's something I need to get my head around and perfect.

Thank you for responding.
Hmmm... How does a university not allow retaking a year.. Never heard of that.

Best of luck, but you should already be informed about resits! Uni starts back in 6 weeks.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago

Throughout these two years, I've been struggling a lot with anxiety and panic attacks. During the exam period of this year, my grandfather passed away which caused my mental health to worsen, so I deferred my exams. A week before my deferred exams start, my grandmother passed away which has made things a lot worse. My university doesnt allow retaking or resitting a whole year either, unfortunately.

you could start from 2nd year again at another university? perhaps take a year out then go from second year at another university.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads