Advice on moving into halls Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
So I’m going to be going to university 6 hours away from home and currently it’s a little uncertain if anyone can take me down to move into halls. Any advice on how to get myself there with all my stuff if I have to go alone?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Post your stuff, I do. Can travel light then.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
any van?
PhoenixFortune
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So I’m going to be going to university 6 hours away from home and currently it’s a little uncertain if anyone can take me down to move into halls. Any advice on how to get myself there with all my stuff if I have to go alone?
I go to university 6 hours away from home too, but luckily I have a family friend who takes me (and all my stuff) up in his people carrier.

If you have lots of stuff that you desperately want to take, you could get a van to take your stuff up or deliver it to you (I think there are some student-specific services that do this) while you go up on a coach/train etc. That's probably the easiest way if you have no one you know to take you.
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 6 days ago
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Take the train?
One of my flatmates did the train by herself (with suitcase, bike and bag) and she managed it.
Just pack light and don't take unnecessary items or things you could buy at uni quite easily
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
have a big sort out and get rid of anything you don't really need and then you might manage a couple of suitcases on the train or coach, hall rooms aren't that big so its a good reason to go minimalist.
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Buy bulky stuff at the uni e.g. duvet, pots and pans, air dryer etc, it saves so much room! The uni may also offer a package where they provide some stuff such as kitchen things for you so it may be worth looking into that (although not sure on cost/quality). Then pack clothes that you can mix and match easily, so again you’re not having to take as many items.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Thanks guys. I’ve been looking at trains I’ve done the journey before and it’s not bad just boring haha. I’ll look at how much postage would be for stuff and see if buying a starter kit with kitchen stuff and bedding from the uni would be cheaper.
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Hey,

I did the same! Travelled 6 hours from Wales to Sheffield. I didn't have tonnes of stuff, and threw away things I could re-buy if I really needed. I managed to fit everything in one suitcase... my computer, monitor, all my clothes, everything...

...although that suitcase was a giant army one that was about two metres long, haha!

Trains, buses, etc are your best bet. Can you fly it? I know it sounds nuts, but it's actually cheaper sometimes than getting a car journey.

I would advise you don'tget a starter kit from Uni and just buy the stuff when you get there. Bedding is easy and cheap from Primark, kitchen stuff from Wilko. The stuff they give you is cheap and flimsy. I ordered one and it came from China and was a state. Broke apart like nobody's business.

Joshua
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by hallamstudents)
Hey,

I did the same! Travelled 6 hours from Wales to Sheffield. I didn't have tonnes of stuff, and threw away things I could re-buy if I really needed. I managed to fit everything in one suitcase... my computer, monitor, all my clothes, everything...

...although that suitcase was a giant army one that was about two metres long, haha!

Trains, buses, etc are your best bet. Can you fly it? I know it sounds nuts, but it's actually cheaper sometimes than getting a car journey.

I would advise you don'tget a starter kit from Uni and just buy the stuff when you get there. Bedding is easy and cheap from Primark, kitchen stuff from Wilko. The stuff they give you is cheap and flimsy. I ordered one and it came from China and was a state. Broke apart like nobody's business.

Joshua
Thanks, makes me feel better knowing someone else did it and managed
The closest airport is 1 hour away and it’s cheaper to get the train so I’ll do that if I have to. Not sure what the shops are like in Penryn but Truro isn’t far on the train so I can always go there to look for a primark.
I’ll look at a bigger suitcase as well
cheesecakelove
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I would take a look at what you are taking and try to pare it down. You don't really need to take too much - you don't need to take so much clothing, and things like kitchenware and bedding you can easily buy cheap when you arrive at uni. You could hire a van or use a courier service to send things, but the cheapest and easiest way is to pack a suitcase and bag and travel by coach or train.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads