What is an easy higher to crash? Watch

olarybaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm going into 6th year. I got BBBBC at 5 highers this year and I'm resitting higher maths alongside Advanced higher biology and chemistry. I need to get an A in 2 highers for uni so I was wondering what subject would be most doable to get an A after crashing it. Opinions?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by olarybaa)
I'm going into 6th year. I got BBBBC at 5 highers this year and I'm resitting higher maths alongside Advanced higher biology and chemistry. I need to get an A in 2 highers for uni so I was wondering what subject would be most doable to get an A after crashing it. Opinions?
Higher RMPS is definitely an easy A. After that, I'm not sure but maybe Business Management? What Highers did you do this year?

Also, why are you doing 2 AHs? I don't think 3 Highers + 2 AHs is a good idea. What universities do you want to apply to and for what courses? Check their requirements.

If I were you, I'd do Higher Maths, Higher RMPS + 1 more Higher and 1 AH. Or, do 4 Highers (Maths, RMPS + 2). You can use the extra free periods to study.

As an aside, Labrador99 Could you move this, please? :fluffy:
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 weeks ago
olarybaa
Rep:
?
I'm doing advanced higher biology and chemistry and higher maths. I only will do one more higher as I'm gonna do 4 subjects this year. I really don't want to drop the bio or chem because I enjoy them and I thought getting an A in adv higher would make up for getting B's at higher. I want to apply to biochemistry or another biological science and apply to Strathclyde, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling.
CoolCavy
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Moved to Scottish qualifications
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm doing advanced higher biology and chemistry and higher maths. I only will do one more higher as I'm gonna do 4 subjects this year. I really don't want to drop the bio or chem because I enjoy them and I thought getting an A in adv higher would make up for getting B's at higher. I want to apply to biochemistry or another biological science and apply to Strathclyde, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Stirling.
The thing is that not all universities will accept an AH instead of Highers. There are also some universities who want 3 or 4 Higher grades in one-sitting, so they may potentially ignore your 5th year results and ask you, for example, to get 2 As and 2 Bs at Higher in sixth year. Some universities also don't accept resit grades for certain subjects and will ask you to take new subjects.

Therefore, if I were you, I'd highly encourage you to email the admission teams for the university courses that you're interested in, tell them your Nat 5 and Higher grades and then ask them what would be the best course of action to take in sixth year. Tell them you're considering doing 2 Highers (1 resit) and 2 AHs etc.

Regarding subjects, what other Higher courses does your school offer? I hope Higher RMPS is an option because that's definitely an easy way to get an A.

CoolCavy Thanks for assist! :fluffy:
Last edited by Quick-use; 2 weeks ago
olarybaa
Rep:
?
I've done higher rmps and got a B last year. does it look bad when you do 2 resits ? or even 3 resits? I'm really scared I'll never get into uni because I didn't get an A this year
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I've done higher rmps and got a B last year. does it look bad when you do 2 resits ? or even 3 resits? I'm really scared I'll never get into uni because I didn't get an A this year
You'll definitely get into university! Don't worry. Your grades are also really good. :fluffy: What were your subjects last year?

Just email the universities and ask them specifically ALL your questions.
AzureCeleste
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
E-mail the uni's to check if you do need another higher, considering you are doing the advanced highers

But RMPS is a good bet
olarybaa
Rep:
?
my subjects last year were higher maths, English, rmps, biology and chemistry. I got a C in maths.

also thank you for your advice I'll make sure to email
cmary02
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Maybe geography or RMPS? I crashed them both last year and got As - they’re both marked quite generously and the content isn’t too deep. Admin’s another pretty simple subject. It’s not the most interesting content, but it’s not difficult, is marked nicely and formatted well. If you’re good at social subjects Modern Studies could also potentially be an option as well, although RMPS, Geography or admin would probably be safer.

Unless you really need higher maths, I’d possibly consider dropping it and crashing two easier highers to maximise your chance of getting high grades, but that depends on your entry requirements.

Ditto what the others said about checking entry requirements, although keeping one advanced higher is a good shout.
leavemeblank
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Most Universities accept a B at AH instead of an A at Higher, C at AH instead of B at Higher etc, so this is good to bare in mind.

AH Chem, AH Bio and H Maths is a brutal sixth year as it is tbh, do you really want an extra crash Higher and the associated stress? If you do, Higher Physics might be an idea as it seems you're science-minded. Higher Modern Studies is a really easy crash higher if you're good at English.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by leavemeblank)
Most Universities accept a B at AH instead of an A at Higher, C at AH instead of B at Higher etc, so this is good to bare in mind.

AH Chem, AH Bio and H Maths is a brutal sixth year as it is tbh, do you really want an extra crash Higher and the associated stress? If you do, Higher Physics might be an idea as it seems you're science-minded. Higher Modern Studies is a really easy crash higher if you're good at English.
While universities certainly do, at times, allow a B at AH instead of an A at Higher, this isn't always the case. It would be best if the applicant consults the university in advance.

I also do think that Chem and Bio go more hand-in-hand than they do with Physics. Many people who enjoy the aforementioned two find that they don't actually like the latter as much. This isn't always the case, of course, but I'd still be hesitant to so easily recommend Physics to OP.

Finally, I do think Higher Mods depends on the person. I was really good at English and I did both Mods and History at Higher (not crash) but I found Mods somewhat harder than History which was definitely an easier A in comparison (for me).
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Modern studies is a good crash subject if you're naturally interested in politics/IR/social issues. As long as you don't really dislike watching the news, it's a fascinating subject.
reidamy
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
Hi

Also just going into 6th year. After getting BBBCC at higher last year and emailing different unis I decided to do some more higher along with a foundation apprenticeship (I don’t think this is available at all schools however). I’m taking higher admin and crashing both philosophy and business. Some universities do accept an advanced higher instead of a higher however do email a few just to be certain. All the best for your studies😊
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by reidamy)
Hi

Also just going into 6th year. After getting BBBCC at higher last year and emailing different unis I decided to do some more higher along with a foundation apprenticeship (I don’t think this is available at all schools however). I’m taking higher admin and crashing both philosophy and business. Some universities do accept an advanced higher instead of a higher however do email a few just to be certain. All the best for your studies😊
Hey, I might recommend you to do RMPS instead of Philosophy. Higher Philosophy has quite a high fail rate which has led many schools to stop teaching it. RMPS, on the other hand, is much easier and incredibly simple. A lot of it is common sense. It's also extremely interesting! :rambo:
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Hey, I might recommend you to do RMPS instead of Philosophy. Higher Philosophy has quite a high fail rate which has led many schools to stop teaching it. RMPS, on the other hand, is much easier and incredibly simple. A lot of it is common sense. It's also extremely interesting! :rambo:
I was disappointed that our school stopped offering RMPS this year - it looked really interesting.
reidamy
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
Thank you for your advice I will look into this and see what my guidance teacher thinks. Both subjects are unlike anything I have previously done so I’m completely unaware
Last edited by reidamy; 2 days ago
reidamy
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Thank you for your advice I will look into this and see what my guidance teacher thinks. Both subjects are unlike anything I have previously done so I’m completely unaware
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by reidamy)
RMPS is definitely a much, much easier subject to do well in than Philosophy. A lot of the content is common sense and it's incredibly interesting. It covers: a religion (and a it's philosophy/beliefs), morality (an aspect of philosophy) and ethics (another aspect of philosophy).
It's also very well respected!

As much as I love Philosophy, I just can't recommend the Higher course just because how dense it is and how poorly people do on it. It's definitely not a safe subject.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
(Original post by 123543)
I was disappointed that our school stopped offering RMPS this year - it looked really interesting.
Ah, that's such a shame. Honestly, I self-learned it and it was incredibly simple to do so. I know I keep going on and on about it but I just can't get over how easy and interesting it was. :rambo:

If your school has any of the Higher textbooks lying around, ask if you could have one! Great reading material in your spare time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.37%
Excited (160)
9.21%
Worried (308)
17.72%
Terrified (385)
22.15%
Meh (178)
10.24%
Confused (37)
2.13%