Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Nothing is working I’ve tried everything and nothing is sticking
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
When you revise, what do you actually do?
BizzFrog22
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
I’m in same situation I don’t have clue what to do
BizzFrog22
Rep:
?
(Original post by Sinnoh)
When you revise, what do you actually do?
I’ve tried flash cards past papers revision guides revision workbook and mind maps none of it works :/
withered.rose
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Make sure you give yourself plenty breaks, stay hydrated, eat well and have a good sleep before revising. If you find yourself struggling a study plan is a good idea, it doesn’t need to be filled completely, leave yourself space for leverage, find a time when you work best and center it around that. And remove distractions before working!
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by BizzFrog22)
I’ve tried flash cards past papers revision guides revision workbook and mind maps none of it works :/
So what specifically do you have issues with? When you do a past paper are you unable to recall information?
Also are you doing GCSEs or A-levels?

For me I just did practice questions and then I'd do past papers to test myself. Whatever I did badly on I'd do more questions on. Though this isn't quite so easy for essay subjects.
If I tried to write down everything I knew about my subjects I'm sure I'd miss a lot, it's more a matter of being able to come up with an answer.

I’m in same situation I don’t have clue what to do
You responded to your own post there
MediocreSince01
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
You need to do it for longer periods of time then. Don't just do it for a day - it won't stick! You need to do lots of repetitive activities to learn information.
BizzFrog22
Rep:
?
You responded to your own post there
I am in college I will be studying BTEC information creative technology level 2 so you could call it top gcse level. I tried a past paper after finishing my workbook and only got 22/50 which is a level 1 pass but that is a fail really.

I’ll link a past paper to you so you can see what kind of questions I’m dealing with

https://qualifications.pearson.com/c...-Version-3.pdf
Last edited by BizzFrog22; 1 week ago
BizzFrog22
Rep:
?
(Original post by MediocreSince01)
You need to do it for longer periods of time then. Don't just do it for a day - it won't stick! You need to do lots of repetitive activities to learn information.
I’ve been doing 35 min sessions en a 15 min break but I just don’t understand how I’ll answer the questions the way they want me to :/
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I’ve been doing 35 min sessions en a 15 min break but I just don’t understand how I’ll answer the questions the way they want me to :/
Do you have access to mark schemes? Correcting your own work is good for improving your answers since you'll better understand what you need to mention and what you can leave out. I had a similar problem with physics - it takes time to change the way you answer on tests but it will definitely help you out.
The more you practice these questions the more familiar they'll be and you'll know what to write. Exam preparation takes a while so keep at it.
claireestelle
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
try something like quizlet? lots of revision methods don't work for me but that does.
BizzFrog22
Rep:
?
Do you have access to mark schemes? Correcting your own work is good for improving your answers since you'll better understand what you need to mention and what you can leave out. I had a similar problem with physics - it takes time to change the way you answer on tests but it will definitely help you out.
The more you practice these questions the more familiar they'll be and you'll know what to write. Exam preparation takes a while so keep at it.
Okay would revising with the mark schemes be good and en testing myself after or having the test in front of me while listening to audio that tells you the answer en testing myself without it
SubZero~
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Having seen the posts of other members in this thread, your methods that you've tried only work with time. If you're revising two or three months before exams, you're more likely to understand and have consolidated what you need to know for the exam(s).
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Okay would revising with the mark schemes be good and en testing myself after or having the test in front of me while listening to audio that tells you the answer en testing myself without it
I think test yourself first, then mark your own work. Writing mark scheme answers in to your paper doesn't help.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I'll give you an over-the-top revision technique (that works for me), but it takes a lot of dedication to withstand.

What I tend to do is probably one of the most hardcore revision techniques out there, and that's writing to retain information; but not for small periods of time, for hours upon hours a day.

I can assure you it works if you have the motivation to do so, because I just received my exam results for National 5 and achieved A's in all 8 of my subjects.

Now for the technique:

Before starting to revise, make sure that you have a neat set of notes for each topic. This makes it easy to reference certain information, shall you require it.

Once you have written out your notes, do bit by bit. So say I was revising for Physics, and the topic was "Interference" (Higher level), I break it down into multiple subtopics. First of all, there are two types of interference: constructive and destructive. I would start with constructive interference; write out each sentence at a time and memorise it completely so that I can recite it back word for word without any error. Once I have done that, I will move on to the next sentence and do the same. To make sure I retain the information, as soon as I memorise the second sentence I will go straight back to the first and yet again see if I have remembered it. Two outcomes:

If I have, great; I'll move on to a third sentence, etc.

If I haven't, I will yet again go over the sentence until it sticks with me, and then go back over the sentence(s) afterwards so that they stick.

Repeat this process until you finish one subtopic (e.g. constructive interference) and then go back over all of the information.

So, that covered one subtopic, I would then do the same for the second "destructive interference", and once done (using the technique above) I will combine the two subtopics to complete the main topic.

Each time you do a topic, take a break. This gives you time to relax and your memory time to store the information. As soon as you begin again, before moving on to another topic, go over the information you learned pre-break.

So, that's how I study. It is very time-intensive and you would only be able to do it if you were really motivated and determined. It may work for you, it may not, but it's always worth a try.

(I only started this 2 months before my exams; if I done this everyday, there would be no doubt about it that I would be top of my class).
Last edited by Strelzo; 1 week ago
BizzFrog22
Rep:
?
I think test yourself first, then mark your own work. Writing mark scheme answers in to your paper doesn't help.
What if you keep getting it wrong en what do you do?
Sinnoh
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
practice it again. Like eventually you'll realise this is the thing you get caught out on and you'll know what to put instead.
SubZero~
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Find out where you went wrong and practice. Understand the material. Once you understand, you can recall. Failing is the key to learning.
BizzFrog22
Rep:
?
(Original post by SubZero~)
Find out where you went wrong and practice. Understand the material. Once you understand, you can recall. Failing is the key to learning.
So just keep practicing past papers? But there’s one problem I do not understand the answer the only thing is I understand is to put that answer in that question.

Because I don’t think I’ve learned the content because college hasn’t started yet
SubZero~
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So just keep practicing past papers? But there’s one problem I do not understand the answer the only thing is I understand is to put that answer in that question.

Because I don’t think I’ve learned the content because college hasn’t started yet
Uh... Then wait until you start learning things when college starts?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (111)
14.02%
Excited (76)
9.6%
Worried (151)
19.07%
Terrified (183)
23.11%
Meh (51)
6.44%
Confused (22)
2.78%