Does maintanance loan debt 'go on' or 'next to' top of tuition fee debt Watch

zacsaturday
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
If I have 10k in Tuition Fee debt, and another 10K in Maintanance, do I pay 9% over 25K twice, or do the amounts get merged into one account that I pay 9% over 25K.
12doeb
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you have applied through student finance England, then the amount is just totalled up at the end of the course. So you will pay the 9% of the total balance.
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by zacsaturday)
If I have 10k in Tuition Fee debt, and another 10K in Maintanance, do I pay 9% over 25K twice, or do the amounts get merged into one account that I pay 9% over 25K.
They re merged in one account
zacsaturday
Rep:
?
(Original post by claireestelle)
They re merged in one account
So essentially, you pay the same (per month) whether or not you've gone to university just for 1 year, or gone for a Bachelors+Masters with Maintanance loans every year?
claireestelle
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So essentially, you pay the same (per month) whether or not you've gone to university just for 1 year, or gone for a Bachelors+Masters with Maintanance loans every year?
Yes it's the same amount of income regardless of how much your total debt is
AdamB09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Yes, but you’ll pay it off far faster if you have only gone for one year! Be aware that most people will probably not pay all of it. Anything not paid off after 30 years is written off anyway.

Remember that in the UK at least, student debt isn’t like normal debt. Your employer pays it for you out of your salary, so you don’t even see the money. It also doesn’t show up on a credit check, and you only pay 9% of your income above £25,000.
12doeb
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
https://www.ucas.com/student-finance...r-student-loan

Here is an article from ucas that explains it in a bit more detail.
MrMoment
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you do a masters, I believe you’re entitled up to around £11,000 in loan for course/living costs. This debt is charged alongside your bachelors, at around 6% (whereas for an undergraduate course it’s 9%) of your salary. Hence, the total would be 15% of your earnings.

This only applies to masters that you apply for as a postgraduate.
zacsaturday
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrMoment)
If you do a masters, I believe you’re entitled up to around £11,000 in loan for course/living costs. This debt is charged alongside your bachelors, at around 6% (whereas for an undergraduate course it’s 9%) of your salary. Hence, the total would be 15% of your earnings.

This only applies to masters that you apply for as a postgraduate.
But not a Masters that is integrated?
12doeb
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
But not a Masters that is integrated?
No, as it would be classed as an undergraduate degree since you have not graduated with a degree yet.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (137)
13.44%
Excited (93)
9.13%
Worried (192)
18.84%
Terrified (232)
22.77%
Meh (78)
7.65%
Confused (28)
2.75%