The Student Room Group

Switching courses at Cambridge

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? I currently have a place to start economics at Cambridge Uni but in my gap year I have become quite interested in Medicine. I know I can't swap to medicine so am considering swapping to something somewhat closer, such as Natural Sciences. Has anyone made such a significant change as this? Also, how strict are they in regards to having to meet the entry requirements of the course you want to switch onto, are they flexible? Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by poseidons
Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has experience of this? I currently have a place to start economics at Cambridge Uni but in my gap year I have become quite interested in Medicine. I know I can't swap to medicine so am considering swapping to something somewhat closer, such as Natural Sciences. Has anyone made such a significant change as this? Also, how strict are they in regards to having to meet the entry requirements of the course you want to switch onto, are they flexible? Thanks in advance :smile:

why not withdraw your application and apply again next year? graduate entry medicine is a very expensive option if that's your end goal.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
why not withdraw your application and apply again next year? graduate entry medicine is a very expensive option if that's your end goal.

I see your point but I have had a chance to save some money in my gap year from working if that is what I eventually do & I have been tempted to do that but I really could not bring myself to withdraw a guaranteed place at Cambridge and then risk not getting it next time...
if you were trying to switch before you actually begin your course you would DEFINITELY need at least the entry requirements for the course, and even then both the directors of studies at your college for economics and biological natsci as well as the admissions tutor would need to agree to the change. it is worth asking if this would be possible as soon as you can. it can also be possible to switch after completing a year or even during but you would have to start again from year 1 which doesn't seem sensible in terms of your time or financially. if you can't switch and you would much prefer something closer to medicine and don't like the thought of economics anymore I would recommend abandoning Cambridge and going through clearing for biomedical sciences or something, or taking another year out to apply for medicine. there is no point going to Cambridge for a subject you don't love, you will be miserable and people who don't enjoy their degree tend not to do very well at Cambridge as it makes the amount of work and study required very difficult. Cambridge is not the be all and end all, much better to enjoy yourself and get a good degree somewhere else than suffer three years just for the sake of the name
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by poseidons
I see your point but I have had a chance to save some money in my gap year from working if that is what I eventually do & I have been tempted to do that but I really could not bring myself to withdraw a guaranteed place at Cambridge and then risk not getting it next time...

Medicine generally doesn't matter where you did your degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending